Santonio Holmes Released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by zombo, Feb 27, 2014.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Nice link Ajitator. Josh Morgan, I remember the kid had a lot of potential. Andre Roberts looks good too. They are young, inexpensive with upside. I don't think you can put Holmes in that same class. Not one bit. Man if we could cut Holmes and grab Roberts and Morgan that would be an upgrade.

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Agreed, AJ. It makes sense to reduce the cap hit, but I agree that we shouldn't just cut ties completely. Holmes was out of action for a long time. He didn't get to participate in TC or pre season last year. He should get a 1 year prove it deal, that gives him an opportunity to earn his contract by good play. It would be terrible to see him have a comeback year on another team. We have to at least set the table for that possibility, but all the professional talent scouts at TGG say he's done, so he must be. I just want to see one last year to see if he can fully recover from the injury and get a full training camp in.

#122 Barcs, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Last year was his "prove it" year. Now I know he was coming off an injury, but even then he was still dropping passes and was inconsistent. He's not the player he was in 2010, or even 2011 anymore. It's time to move on and his spot could go to a younger player that can actually contribute more.

4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^You just explained precisely why last year was not a prove it year. He was coming off a major injury and missed TC/pre season. He was never in full football shape. You shouldn't move on unless you have a solid replacement option. There's no logical reason to do it when he's already agreed to a paycut. People just hate the man over shit that happened 2-3 years ago. There is absolutely no reason not to give the man an incentive based deal where he makes what he produces. People love to just over simplify things, 'oh yeah, he had 2 bad years'. That's just a load of crap and nobody here has ever had to come back from an injury like that. You don't just magically return to form right off the bat, it takes time before you can even make the same type of cuts that you used to.

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Merriam-Webster, in addition to the medical references, also shows "3 : something evil or malignant that spreads destructively" as a definition of the word "cancer".

This is a perfectly legitimate usage of the word but is constantly overused, as my earlier citation of the word "horrific." As far as "a cancer in the locker room", what has Holmes done, or not done, to rise to that level of contempt? Incognito, yes; Holmes, no.

People need to stop twisting things to the point where they take them personally.

#125 Ralebird, Mar 3, 2014
  6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

When he played he wasn't consistent enough. You can say he was coming off an injury. But if he was healthy enough to play then he should've played better. If the injury was gonna affect his play then he should've sat out. That's the bottom line.

Btw I don't hate Holmes. I just think his time is over, a younger WR is better suited in his place that can actually be more effective.

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

This shows exactly why calling Holmes a cancer, is a major exaggeration. LOL at him being evil or spreading destruction to the Jets. Where was this destruction when he worked with young WRs? Why did the team improve last year with him playing? The argument is stupid and false.

8. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

exactly, the locker room issues are overblown, but persisting injury issues and lack of production when he's on the field are a death sentence.

If he was every bit the guy from the first bills game while he was on the field thereon, then there would be a conversation.

but he was a guy that called out the panthers D and showed nothing for it, the guy that was mostly a non factor in an offense where he should have been the best target out there. he wasn't playing like a SB MVP, but like a declining oft-injured JAG.

theres nothing with Holmes that makes feel as though we should retain him, no need to see him in a healthy year when theres so many options out there. its maybe not fair, but thats what it is.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

...."major exaggeration"? Hardly.

Call him whatever you want. Tone got his rep for a reason...

MIAMI - First came a squabble in the huddle. Then, Santonio Holmes found himself on the bench.

The New York Jets' receiver and captain was yanked as his team tried to rally in the fourth quarter Sunday and avoid elimination from the playoff race. To compound the soap opera, coach Rex Ryan said he thought Holmes took himself out of the game.

The Jets lost 19-17 to the Miami Dolphins. Following a spat with teammates, Holmes was replaced by Patrick Turner.
    "It was a coach's call," Holmes said. "Patrick came in and tapped me on the shoulder and told me to come out."

The decision may have come from offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, aware that Holmes had argued with teammates. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson said they were unhappy about Holmes' effort, demeanor and body language.

"It's tough for guys to follow a captain that kind of behaves in that manner," Tomlinson said. "You've got to lead by example, and you've got to play your tail off until the last play."

New York Post cited a source saying that Schottenheimer huddled with his offensive coaches and the group decided to bench Holmes after the on-field argument.

Holmes was held without a catch for the first time in his 88-game career.

"That may have had something to do with the way he handled it," Turner said.

Holmes was targeted only once. He went to the bench with the Jets trailing 19-10 and driving in the final two minutes.
    "I looked out there and was wondering why he wasn't out there," Ryan said after the game. "So, I did not bench Santonio."

Turner caught a 10-yard touchdown pass, but Miami then ran out the clock, ending New York's season.

When asked if the Jets gave sufficient effort, cornerback Antonio Cromartie said: "Uh, maybe on one side of the ball."

It's not the first time Holmes has been the focus of controversy this season. He twice called out the offensive line for not giving quarterback Mark Sanchez enough time to throw. At the time, right guard Brandon Moore said Holmes' comments "can have a fracturing effect" in the locker room. Moore also was disappointed Holmes made his negative opinions public since "that's not something a captain does."

#129 Acad23, Mar 3, 2014
  10. Ralebird

That's the best you have? Go back a couple of years to the last game of a frustrating season and blame the frustrated captain for calling out the line for dogging it? I think that same sentiment is still being voiced here. Where is the turmoil he created? Where is the evil and the destruction?

Did you read the definition from the dictionary? Did you understand it? Call Holmes whatever you want, but to call him a cancer is a misuse of the word and does nothing to forward your argument.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Hey relax...I didn't call Holmes anything. Frankly, I don't really give a crap if Santonio stays or goes....but let's face facts. The guy's had "issues". Issues that would have largely been ameliorated had his play on the field been better.

Another player that Rex simply had to have...who really isn't worth the money or the headaches.

12. Ralebird

So calling Holmes a cancer is not a major exaggeration but you didn't call him anything? Please. Now you change courses and make it about Ryan? Really? And you don't care if Holmes stays or goes? What about Ryan?

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Make what about Ryan? Let's leave character out of it...tell me that you think Holmes is worth the money he's getting paid.

14. Ralebird

And now you change courses again. I give up.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

but what if the big $ goes away. if they cut holmes and tell him there is a 1yr 2mil deal here for him if he wants it anyone going to be mad if he is back?

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Good, 'cause you're really annoying.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Besides Santonio?

18. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Every time I see this thread at the top of the page, I am hoping somebody linked Schefter or Mort's twitter saying this clown is gone. My wish hasn't come true yet.

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Holmes has LITTLE value. Ive watched a lot of WR's not be able to find jobs, Holmes might be another one.

Id retain him if we can get a contract of 4 million or so.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that Pittsburgh is mentioned in some reports as a possible landing spot for Holmes.

I think the odds are better that he stays in NY.