NY Rangers 2011-2016 Season + Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by FrankTheTank, Oct 7, 2011.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Thats the bottom line TJ. They were all over the shots on goal in the first period. When the Rangers do that, its so much frill and no substance. They just pad the other teams goalie stats.

Not sure how you can "dominate" like that and go far. They need a finisher..they need toughness in front of the net. If some want to blame the contract/trade talk on Cally and how he is not worth the money he is asking..ok..valid I guess. Just think about it though..they have nobody besides Krieder that goes in front of the net with any success..you just cant go far without that.

2. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

Hags isn't a good finisher- I'm just saying it's not like Callahan is any better. Callahan is also known as a poor finisher, which is why I was puzzled when you used finishing ability as a way to put down Hags while pumping up Cally.

I'm at least using stats to back up my arguments. You just use comments like "you're delirious".

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Fact- 132 goals in 450 games, 3 20 goal seasons, a 29 goal season

4. matt robinson 17

Exactly Tommy tougher and better

5. jaywayne12

Callahan was a better finisher earlier in his career no? I just remember him being better then what he has shown. Hags, I mean, you are backing up with stats..I just do not look at Hags being good around the net. Really there is no Ranger good around the net. I mentioned Kreider but even last night he had his chances around the net and couldnt finish.

Thats a problem..a real problem. For a team that stat wise puts more shots on net compared to the last 2 or 3 seasons, this team would be a threat if they had a few bodies down there that do not even need to create..but finish..and its not there.

6. matt robinson 17

Jay we need Kreider to dominate physically the way he was in the beginning of the season

7. matt robinson 17

Fluff shots from bad angles, into the goalies chest protector

8. jaywayne12

I agree MR..but he cant be doing it on and off. He has to find out what kind of player he is. Right now..and its still early in his career but right now, he is not the 40 goal scorer. So he has to use that body and speed to complete his game..and hitting has to be a part of it.

He looks like, at times, to have a nasty streak. Not a fighter and thats cool but doesnt take crap..so he needs to hit..and hit.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  9. jaywayne12

Exactly dead on. Bad angles and easy saves...which usually comes from not having guys established or going to the net. They need to make a move before the deadline to get that guy or guys. Again, doesnt have to be a 30 or 40 goal guy. I would prefer 2 2o to 25 goal guys that love to hang out there then going for a 40 goal guy that just creates outside.

10. matt robinson 17

Jay, I expect Nash to play better he hides when we play the Bruins, gotta give up a combo of young talent to get a scorer (Miller, Kristo, Mcilrath, Hrivik, Lindberg, Fasth)

11. matt robinson 17

The kid is a beast the tougher he plays, combined with his brilliant speed, will find him alot of open ice...

12. jaywayne12

You watch the Bruins and they have several players..maybe not even the speed of Krieder..but they play like that every damn night...which makes them such a solid team.

He has to be that player..night in..night out. I agree with you totally.

13. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

The B's are a tough, well-built machine. They don't have a pure scorer, but they have a collection of guys that create space by beating the hell out of you. And they have Marchand...that little shit.

They'll give any team trouble, let alone our satin-soft Blueshirts.

14. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

You are overvaluing Hagelin.

He's barely projected for 30 points and he's playing on a line with two offensively competent players. I'm not saying that Callahan is a great offensive player and Richards isn't the same player that he once was, but he's not playing on a line of goons. Hagelin is tied for the least points of all the Rangers offensive players on the top three lines. No way is he a 2nd liner like you claim.

I've got no problem with him as a 3rd line LW because of his speed, but he is too inconsistent to ask him to play more than that role.

The Ranger's lack of depth at LW really can cloud your view of the LW's. Pouliot and Hagelin are both 3rd line LW's and Kreider might not even be a 1st line LW.

15. jaywayne12

Love the makeup of that team. No matter where they finish..that would be a great team to follow all year long. Would love that to be the team I watch ever night. Even that prick is needed on successful teams. You cant compare the makeup of the Rangers to that team.

16. matt robinson 17

Jay, they definitely struggle with consistency, they only have a handful of guys that bring it every night, they should watch tapes of the Islanders, who are much less talented than us but give 110% every game win or lose

17. jaywayne12

There is another team that gives it..you are totally correct..not that talent..but man they give it up every night.

Here is something that might not go over well...and Callahan to me has underperformed no doubt..but if Im Cally...watching a guy like Nash every night have a total of less than 10 hits for the year..how the hell do you justify the money he is getting? Because he has 6 more goals then most on HIS OWN TEAM? How can you justify him getting that money? Do you build around a guy like Nash? A guy like Nash who looks to my untrained eye to be a piece of cake to take out in playoff series?

We have had guys like Gab...guys that come playoff time are just not even an issue. They bring no playoff type hockey to the table. So if Im Callahan...and Im not even sure he deserves that money..I would be fuming over the money that has been given to guys that dont even hit.

18. matt robinson 17

Jay, the difference between Nash and Cally is heart and desire, cally brings it every night, Nash floats away from contact and doesn't go the extra mile every game or he would be great or as Don Corleone said they would "fear you"

19. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

You know who makes 6.5 million a year? Toews lmao. Cally can bring whatever he wants, he will never have the goal scoring ability of Nash. Rangers could get a Bryan Bickel for a lot less to do the samething cally does.

#11659 eyedea, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  20. matt robinson 17

You don't get it either...many intangibles...I'm done arguing with you guys...Toews is underpaid by the way...Nash will always underacheive with his weak ticker