Expectations for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Feb 20, 2014.

1. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Playoffs...

We need playoffs..

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

1st round bye fellas... Believe. We will have a home playoff game next year.

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Super Bowl or bust.

4. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Real talk.. That should be the expectation going in every year.. We aren't the Browns.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If you don't hoist the Lombardi at the end of the season it's a lost cause. Yes.. I would love improvements from our younger players but the goal is to win the Super Bowl and it should be what every fan is expecting from their team. Anything less is not acceptable

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

That is always the end goal. But let's be realistic as well.

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yes, every fan wants a Super Bowl. That is clearly the end goal for a team year in and year out. But even if a team doesn't win a Super Bowl in a year, within that year they could be making moves or decisions or play that helps bring them closer to a Super Bowl or further away from a Super Bowl. The Jets backwards or neutral year was the last couple years. This coming year needs to be a forward year.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'll have to see how the draft works out first before settling on this.

9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

theres no way to know at this point, a winning record would be nice, but hell forgetting our OWN staff for a second theres still all the OTEHR teams the jets play next year.

no telling how they falter or bolster their ranks buy the time the jets come to play them. not even the "easy" teams like oakland will be a sure thing, they're in a good spit to improve and surprise people given their good draft position and endless cap space.

its just too early... gut feeling says Miami takes a dive next year though. don't know why, they just feel like... they'll be off.

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My expectations are 6-8 wins but overall improvement and a better team heading into 2015.

I expect the OL to improve quite a bit from this year. Our pass protection was awful all year. I expect Mangold and Ferguson to improve. Winters to be challenged and either improve quite a bit or sit the bench. I expect a new RG.
    I expect an easier schedule where we will not be playing so many teams with dominant DL's that manhandle our OL.
    I expect our secondary to be a lot better. Hopefully we will have 2 improved and new safeties.
    I expect Milner to make strides and be better.
    I expect Geno to make progress, make better reads,get rid of the ball faster and learn to throw the ball over the middle.
    I expect Geno to have less TO's. Of his 16 TO's from week 5-16 all but one were when we were behind. 13/16 were when we were 9+ points behind. While those type of TO's are normal for a QB playing from far behind I expect us to hopefully not get blown out early as much as we were this year resulting in less less TO's.
    I expect MM to be much better at protecting the QB this year.
    I expect Geno to have much less intentional throwaways. He was running 15-25% of his passes being thrown away intentionally every game. That is way far to many. While 0% under Sanchez is the other extreme. Some much smaller happy middle ground would be nicer.
    I expect a new TE and 2 new WRs but I am not expecting much production in year 1 from a drafted TE and WR.
    I expect Rex to be fired and the progress we have made to be set back a number of years even though overall we have a much better team.
    I expect in 2015 we will be a 4 win team with Rex gone.

But overall expectations can change dramatically with FA and the draft. We will have $50 million in cap space once we cut the big 3. Improvement in Milner and a decent replacement for Cro along with 2 improved safeties could make our D very good next year. An improved OL combined with an easier schedule could mean positive development for Geno. A playmaker could go a long way. A good D and couple of play makers along with a healthy Hill and improved OL and QB play and we could be a hard time to beat,

Right now I am not optimistic but I think this coming season could easily go in different directions. I think next year is a huge year for the future of the franchise. A bad year will result in firings, rebuilding and setting us back for many years. A positive year with a winning record, defensive, QB, OL and WR growth could set us very well for the future. We are at a crossroads and we are either going north or south next year.

#30 Noam, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Man so pessimistic. Do you dislike Rex that much or what? I'm no fan of Rex's, but can't see the team only winning 6-8 games this season. I also can't see the Jets only winning 4 games the following season if Rex does get fired. Do you have no confidence in Idzik to make quality FA signings, draft this year, or in his ability to hire a new HC? Is it just Jets history, or Woody being so clueless, or do you dislike/distrust Idzik for some reason?

I like Geno and think he will be a lot better, but think he'd have been better last season if perhaps he had thrown the ball away even more. If he 30% of his passes thrown away, maybe his TOs would have been cut in half. LOL Seriously, that's an interesting point I haven't seen mentioned before.

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

All I want is the Offense to be good. I would love to have the same feeling I get when our D comes on to the field with our O. Hoping for Pick 6's and Return TD's is not a good game plan.

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Playoff contender obviously. Not too focused on the numbers. Winning the East would be nice, but I don't think it happens.

14. JetNotts

JetNotts Member

A playoff berth in my eyes would mean a successful season.

15. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

i agree on kerley. i believe his numbers would improve with some talent around him too. nelson had a solid year but im still not sold. his health is always a concern but if he stays healthy, you have a solid 4/5 wr who is big and will go over the middle. i would love maclin and sanders to be brought in but i know thats a lot to ask. we have to land one of them tho.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i get the same feeling with the O as i do with the D,

"this drive is going to end in a turnover"

TNJet likes this.
  17. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Last year the big difference for us was that (not unlike many rookies) Geno was much worse on the road:

Home: 73.5 QB Rating, 7 touchdowns, 8 interceptions, 7.13 yards per attempts
    Road: 59.3 QB Rating, 5 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 6.61 yards per attempt

He wasnt great at home, but he wasnt the disaster at home that he was on the road. Considering we were 6-2 at gome and 2-6 on the road thats a really big impact. If geno can play better on the road this year i think we can win 9 games, maybe 10 if the defense is as good or better then a year ago.

18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

For me to be satisfied with this season:

#1 - Sanchez must be off this team. traded, cut, whatever. if he plays we lose, he doesnt provide competition because he is awful, rex has this thing for him so he might actually play him which hurts the team, and he is a distraction.

#2 - get rid of other big money guys or dont bring them back. i want no part of cromartie or austin howard

#3 - draft playmakers on both sides of the ball. draft a QB at somepoint

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Would you place that large split based on which teams we played and who was active at the time or more so on Geno? Overall, we played much better pass defenses on the road than we did at home since OAK and CLE finished the year below average on pass defense.