With the 18th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Axel3419, Dec 29, 2013.

1. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

honestly... i would love watkins or mike evans..but, i can def see us signing a wr in free agency like decker, maclin, or tate..

heres my thing and im annoyed with it kinda and ill make a comparison..if we sign a free agent wr. i could see us not using the 18th pick on a WR and instead using it on a TE or a G... i think the first move idzik makes is signing one of the recievers and i think he really likes david nelson...i of course would want to upgrade nelson but from the stand point of them re signing nelson a extra year, him already being on the team and having a couple of good games, and really i dont think he plays special teams so his role is to play one of the outside spots and thats really it...

now i know its different but remember all those times we signed bryan thomas to all the one year deals just to fill it and be a solid role so they can adress other needs with picks.... tell me im wrong but to me it feels the same...

i mean there are 3 wr spots really and the rest play special teams..so really what im getting at is i dont think were signing a free agent and drafting a wr at 18

2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. I say TE-rd1 & WR-rd2 or WR-rd1 & TE-rd2 and get a safety with one of our 3rd round picks. Depends on who is available of course, if there is a can't miss player of a different position available in the 3rd and it means we miss out on one of the better safeties then that's just the reality. But if they pick up a depth DT over a good FS I will be pretty pissed.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think there will be. There were several TEs in the Sr. Bowl game that looked pretty good. Some TEs get almost no opportunities to catch the ball in college and spend all their time blocking. Others play at small schools and are out of the limelight. Will there be an amazing athletic specimen like Ebron or perhaps Amaro in the lower rounds? No, but that doesn't mean that the Jets couldn't find a very good, solid, productive TE in the middle or lower rounds. I like Pedersen of Wisconsin and the Crockett kid from the Sr. Bowl (don't remember his school). I think the TE from Baylor, Njvar, I think or something like that has some potential as well.

I wouldn't be upset if Ebron was the pick at #18, but would be if it were Amaro or S-J. I'd rather the Jets take Mack, Van Noy or Ford at #18 than Ebron. I think there's a bigger difference in the quality/level of the OLBs from the first round to the middle/lower rounds than there is with the TEs, even though I do like Attaochu a lot. I'm also pretty high on Fiedorowicz. I'm not sure if he'll be rated as a 2nd or 3rd round pick (doubt he'd be rated any lower), but he's a good blocker, is huge and would be a great Red Zone threat and a big mismatch.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The more I think about it, the more I hope we address the FS position in Free Agency. We could get a starter in Stevie Brown (from the NYG). Either that or we address the positions in this order (somewhat - hard to predict)

RD 1 - BPA on offense (WR or TE)
    RD 2 - BPA (WR)
    RD 3a - FS or OLB
    RD 3b - QB

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How old is Stevie Brown? While I like the idea of addressing the FS position in FA, I wouldn't want to do it unless whoever they get is no older than 26. Unless they have their eye on some underclassman FS that they want to draft in a year or two. Since Ed Reed is here now, and probably won't be next year, I think the time to draft a FS is now and let Reed help him develop IF they really like any of the FSs in this draft class.

The Jets have not spent a high draft pick on a FS since Rex has been here. In the past, he has seen both S positions as somewhat identical. Would he change his philosophy/attitude/approach and want one this year? Would Idzik be swayed one way or another? I don't know.

If Watkins/Evans/Mack/Ford, Van Noy are all gone at #18, and Pryor or Clinton-Dix is still there, I don't think I'd have any problems with the Jets taking one of them if they thought they could still get a very good WR and TE in the 2nd & 3rd rounds.

As of right now, this is how I'd like the Jets' draft to go:

Rd 1 BPA (with the exception of DT, DE, OG, C, ILB, & SS, but prefer WR, OLB, FS, or TE)

Rd 2 BPA

Rd 3 BPA

While Ebron would be nice, I don't think the Jets need him to get a good safety valve for Geno at TE. Fiedorowicz, Pedersen, Crockett, Njavar and others might be able to fill the bill quite nicely, so TE in round 1 is probably my last choice. Taking a DT or C in round 1 would be a wasted pick, and I don't think there is an ILB or SS worthy of a mid-first round pick. I could see some possible need for a DE, but a first round DE would need to start and there's no spot for him.

Assuming they have 12 draft picks, ideally, I'd like them to come out of this draft having taken BPA in every round, but winding up with 2 WRs, TE, OLB, OG, FS, SS, QB, ILB and P. That leaves them 2 picks to double dip at another position or address OT, C, whatever.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Stevie Brown is actually only 26 years old, so you are on the money.
    We could theoretically sign him to a 4 year deal or so to keep him until he's 30 / 31. I just don't like the idea of drafting a FS with the 18th pick.

In a perfect world, if we trade down and grab a FS, I can live with that. There's a chance though that if we trade down, we could grab Jordan Matthews instead, which I would like even more. I just want the Jets to take advantage of the WRs because the class is so freaking deep.

Though after the Senior Bowl - I do like Crockett in a later round. I like Fiedorowicz because the man can block and he can make plays in the RZ.

I agree, 2 WRs are a must. A TE, FS, OLB are absolutely needed as well.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I think Stevie brown would be a terrific signing. He has a knack for the football

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This. He's a ballhawk.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I rather Chris Clemons as he is not coming off a major injury. Clemons knows the division, fast (runs a 4.40), rated the 9th best safety in coverage by PFF (just one spot behind Jarius Byrd) and only 28. I would also take a look at Nate Allen. He was my 3rd favorite safety in the 2010 draft behind Morgan Burnett and Reshad Jones, 3rd and 5th round picks respectively. The latter 2 got extensions while Allen has not, at least not yet. After getting drafted in the 2nd round by Philly, Allen played well as a rookie, got injured, struggled for a couple of seasons along with the entire Eagles D before bouncing back this year. He's solid all around but not great at anything particular. He is a very intelligent player that I think Rex, Thurman and T-Mac could get the best out of like they did Jaiquawn Jarrett, another former Eagles 2nd round safety.

10. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

im starting to really like Jeremiah Attaochu... saw him in mocks for awhile and disregarded the name. CBS has him in the 2-3 round range and I think if we could grab him in the third and have Pace show him the ways he would be pretty damn good. Apparently he really raised his stock at the senior bowl not unlike Van Noy. Plus I feel like announcers would just like saying his name when he gets sacks and it would sound very cool hahaha.

A highlight tape of him was just put up on youtube of him earlier this week that is impressive.

11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

gesundheit

12. iJet

iJet Member

Am I drunk or did I just read a german word?

I saw some mocks where we picked him up in the 3rd. Would be nice