Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

His injury hindered his play. Stop being so thick. What does the Cardinals losing on the east coast 3 times have to do with them being the eventual NFC champions? No YOU don't understand what you're watching.
    Good point Favre only cared about his iron man streak. Take that away and he probably sits out.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Exactly. Mangini didn't have the gravitas to sit Favre--who knows he might have tried and Favre would have told him to GFY.

Had Favre not gotten hurt, that could have been our year. Favre getting hurt blew any chance we had--Kellen might have played better than Favre down the stretch but we weren't winning a SB with him.

It was live or die with Favre that year.

_

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

in the reg season when we played them they were a joke playing in the NE. They lost 48-20 to Philly in the reg season, know what happened in postseason? they were a completely different team.

His injury did not derail the Jets, his poor play and poor decision making did that.

He couldn't win w/ much more talented GB and Minny teams the year before and year after but he was going to take us to a SB? the man wore down in cold late in his career. He looked like he wanted to be anywhere but a football field late in 2008. he never wanted to be a Jet and it showed.

Favre killed our chances but not b/c of injury.

4. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

There's no problem at all in trading for Sanchez, and then giving him an extension right away that changes his salary figures. (When the Bucs traded for Revis, they had already worked out a deal with him and then gave him the extension/raise that he wanted.)

As for how to value Sanchez, it's not too hard. The normal salary range for a solid but non-franchise QB, a Michael Vick or what-have-you, is like $8m, somewhere in that range. If that's how you view Mark, then somewhere around that is a fair rate. If he is viewed only as a veteran tutor, or a pure second stringer, then the going rate is $2m - $4m, so somewhere in that range. If multiple teams want him as a starter, he will get around $10m - $12m.

Once you trade for Sanchez, you've already been talking to his agent (Mark's older brother Nick Sanchez) and have fleshed out the terms of an acceptable deal. Mark will want job security, a legitimate shot at being the starting QB, and fair compensation. He will be willing to take a lower salary in exchange for guarantees early in the contract and signing bonus money that makes him cap-unfriendly to cut. And then since the overall compensation will be in that "unproven starter" salary range, the team makes out well from this also, because if he ends up being their starting QB, they have him locked in at a reasonable rate, yet could move on from him after 2 years if it doesn't work out.

If teams view Mark as a potential second-stringer, then they will not really want to give up much in exchange for that. Your second stringer is a guy you hope doesn't have to play anyway. So in that case, they won't trade with the Jets.

But- if you see him as your 2014 starting QB, or a serious candidate for that role, then you don't try to get cute and save a late round pick by hoping to get him when he hits free agency. You don't hold your breath and hope Idzik can't convince a QB-desperate franchise to give him a 7th round pick, in exchange for a top-5 overall pick who won 4 road playoff games. As bad as Sanchez's stats are, if you feel that he would be the quarterback of your 2014 team and possibly beyond, then you will easily be willing to part with a late round pick to ensure that you get him.

And if multiple teams feel that way about Sanchez, Idzik could end up getting a mid-round draft pick for him.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I was not talking about mere possibility. I was talking about likelihood.

I firmly believe he'd be better off taking his chances on a change. Of course one can imagine bad situations for him on other teams. But on the whole...

Frankly I am not that concerned about the future of Mark Sanchez, as long as the Jets cut him. But I suppose I could imagine he could try and play himself back into game shape and sharpness best on a team with a current starter who is struggling. Either that or go to a team with an established starter who sees Mark as a backup. I frankly doubt he goes to a team that presently has no starting Qb. Like the Vikings - I had mentioned them as a place he could go, but on reflection that makes little sense. The Vikes will probably go Qb in the draft, if they can. It's a better option for them.

Teams that might make more sense are the Raiders, who do have some Qb options on the roster, but ones that look too shaky to count on. But also not bad enough to toss away. I could see the Raiders adding MS to that mix and seeing who plays best. A similar situation might be Jville.

I would not rule out a less obvious choice such as the Bengals. They seem to be unhappy with Dalton in clutch situations. Maybe they feel he needs something to threaten him. And Josh Johnson? Maybe Sanchez could surpass him as the backup. I don't see the Bengals going high pick at Qb in this year's draft, and they have the same dearth of FA Qb's to deal with as every other team that might be interested. Just a thought.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's going to get maybe $2M to play for somebody next year with some incentives that would raise the deal if he was the starter for the new team. It isn't going to be a long deal, maybe 2 or 3 years or so.

The structuring of the incentives is going to be a very complicated process for everybody involved because Sanchez isn't going to want a contract that puts him on the bench 4 or 6 games into the season because he's not playing all that well and the team doesn't want his cap number to escalate based on that nor to have future guarantees kick in.

In the end Sanchez is a QB who has turned the ball over a lot and never completed a decent percentage of his passes. Nobody is going to treat him like a savior walking in the door. Look at what happened with Josh Freeman in Minnesota as a likely example of where Sanchez will be come mid-season next year.

He may turn it on and unleash the QB we saw flashes of from time to time from 2009 to 2011 but the odds are much higher that the guy we saw most of the time is the guy who is going to show up wherever and that guy is N-F-L as a starter at this point.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I posted earlier that Matt Moore signed a 2 year, $8 million deal last year to back-up Tannehill. Surely, with this weak of a QB market, Mark will get $5 million a year minimum, from his new team.

8. JStokes

Wrong.

Hahahahahaaa. He went 12-4 in 2009, completed nearly 70% of his passes, 33 TDs and 7 TDs, 4300 yards and had a passer rating over 107, destroyed the Cowboys in the playoffs and lost AT a much much much better Saints team--the eventual SB champs. And Favre was harrassed all game. Some will point to that last second pick but I choose to see the bigger picture--he lost to a better team in the Superdome. Favre was GREAT that year. He was one of the main reasons they were in the championship game to begin with.

Stop being silly.

_

9. Big Blocker

I htink I already referred to the reasons why your position is not persuasive, but in brief they include his coming off a year of not playing and an injury that is a concern going forward, that he played poorly before then, and so those right there do not make him comparable to any recent FA I am aware of (and don't say Manning!).

Sanchez does not have the market value of a solid vet Qb. If you think he does, we will have to disagree right there.

Add in that the only value to doing a renegotiation before a trade is to lock him up when you can do the same thing offering more than others after he is cut and NOT have to pay the Jets any compensation, and I don't see anyone doing it.

As for the Jets, the more a trade gives them, the less a team who wants him will have left over to redo his contract. I hope that is self evident. Sanchez has to agree to any redone contract. Why should he do that, and take value to him and give it to the Jets?

I understand that when he's cut the value of what leverage he has in his current contract goes away. But I think that leverage only really exists in terms of not allowing the Jets to reduce his compensation without his agreement.

Now I am not saying it is impossible for him to be traded. But I think it would require some team wanting him very much and in the end overpaying for him. Or the Jets get compensation that is negligible. Perhaps the Jets would accept some window dressing in a trade, but then why should we care about that? It would in the end be little different from an outright release. (I hope this assumptoin has been clear in my posts on this subject.)

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'll rephrase my question cause this response reads as though you did not follow. What exactly makes a change of scenery the only avenue by which Sanchez could potentially turn his career around? What prevents it from happening here? I know a certain set of the fan base hates him but I don't buy that as something that would hinder a player's ability to realize their potential. We have the coaching, system and, hopefully by next year, the talent. Not to mention the Jets offer continuity, familiarity and opportunity. So help me understand this pervasive narrative that's out there about Sanchez's best chance at salvaging his career is else where.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

couldn't win SBs, not couldn't win at all. what did he do? he threw an INT in OT against NYG to set up the GW FG for them then threw a huge INT at NO to cost them that game.

NO was better b/c the QB was better. the teams were very similar, NO wasn't the '85 Bears.

he beat a Tony Romo led Cowboy team in the playoffs? That's damn impressive!:lol:

he sabotaged our season b/c he never wanted to be here and didn't work as hard as he normally would. His heart wasn't in it. He wanted to go to Minnesota. his injury had nothing to do w/ the collapse. His poor play that he showed throughout the year did.

12. legler82

Obviously, Matt Moore is a far better and more talented QB that has accomplished much more than Sanchez. Sanchez would be lucky to get half of that amount in the open market.

13. legler82

Junc balances out the extremist on the other side. Though he is outnumbered, he is never overpowered.

14. legler82

Not sure about the rest of it but I agree with the bold.

15. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Sanchez lovers (can't believe any exist), I have a comparison for you:

QB A:

62 games, 55.1%, 12,092 yards (< 200 a game), 68 TDs, 69 INTs, 71.7 passer rating, 43 fumbles

QB B;

76 games, 56.1%, 14,693 yards (< 200 a game), 79 TDs, 85 INTs, 69.4 passer raring, 25 fumbles

Who is each QB?

More importantly, is QB A or QB B a good NFL QB? If you were a fan of a team other than the Jets, would you want your team to acquire QB A or QB B? Would you expect your team to have success with QB A or QB B?

Honest answers only please.

16. JStokes

Pure sophistry.

Getting to and then winning the SB is wildly wildy wildy driven by more than one man making one play.

You said he couldn't win the next year with a much better team, intimating that he wasn't very good.

31 teams lost the SB that year. Some damn great QBs lost the SB that year.

He got them to the doorstep but then was beaten by a BETTER team in the BETTER team's building.

Stop being silly, it doesn't become you.

_

17. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

I think you're misremembering that NFC CG. The Vikings were the clearly superior team that day, dominating both LOS and moving the ball at will. The Saints did not do much. Brees was under 200 yards passing, they only rushed for 68 yards and a weak 3.0 YPC. Why did they win? A slew of senseless turnovers by the Vikings ranging from the bizarre (2 WR lost fumbles, AP fumbling twice) to the surreal (the Favre ridiculous INT late in regulation) that took what should have been a blowout and turned it into a narrow OT loss.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=300124018

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Still dont know how the Vikings didnt win that game. They dominated the Saints, Brees didnt hit a single big pass the entire game. A.P. fumbling and of course Favres pick was the back breaker. Even in OT the Saints struggled to reach FG range but had just enough and had to convert a 4th down to.

19. legler82

But did Joey Harrington ever have a winning record or make it to the playoff let alone a game a way to the SB (twice)?

20. Big Blocker

I did answer the question. it is partly the animosity of the fanbase and press. But also his contract requires the Jets to cut him, in effect. Once cut he can go elsewhere. Why would he stay with the Jets?

If you want to fantasize about him POSSIBLY being able to turn his career around with the Jets, then yes, it is POSSIBLE that he could do so. But here he would be competing not only against Smith but hopefully another vet qb, possibly a rookie as well. Since he would be cut before the Jets would likely sign someone, and certainly before they might draft someone, then why would he want to get into that situation?

It is not categorically impossible, but imo very unlikely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.