Jets' Assistant Coaches

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jan 11, 2014.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I saw the following on another Jets board:

This is a bit strange. Are the Jets still up in the air about Rex will be the HC? Is there a hang up due to Rex not being happy with the extension he was offered? The Jets need to figure this out and now. Hopefully, this isn't Idzik's doing, but rather that doofus Woody. Just like he didn't fire Schotty but induced him to quit, he may be doing the same things with these guys. Grow a pair, Woody.

As far as I'm concerned, Devlin, Kotwica and Lal would not be losses, but we all know that Dunbar would be a big loss. Thurman, I'm unsure about. Supposedly he's a good DB coach and has been with Rex since Baltimore, but with Pettine leaving last year and now potentially Thurman, it makes me wonder a little bit. Why wouldn't Rex be fighting to make sure that Thurman stays? I can't imagine that they'd be able to keep this quiet, yet we've heard nothing.

If those guys are going to be replaced, the Jets need to get that done before all the HCs are hired and get their staffs in place.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Lal should be gone at WR coach. We have failed to develop WRs under his watch. We should try someone new, technique is essential in gettin open in today's game. Preferably one of Marty's guys in the past. This is a no brainer in my opinion. Obviously bring back Dunbar.

Edit: I'd also like to see Thurman and A Lynn retained at DC and RBs.

#2 Jake, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This isn't surprising if you were paying attention.

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Not defending Lal, but he has worked with a bunch of crap. I guess someone has to take the blame.

If I was WR coach, I would have Hill on the Jugs machine 24/7.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'd have him as a target on the firing range.

I wouldn't defend Lal too much either, but I guess Kerley has progressed quite well under his watch.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Darius Heyward Bey uses the machine for hours every day and still has dropsies. Yes Lal has had crap to work with but it would make sense to bring in someone who's worked with Marty whom had success before. Who'd we pluck Lal from? The mighty Raiders? Bring in someone proven who knows the system and their route combinations like the back of his hand. Let Marty bring his boys in, he has had success in the past.

What has Lal done? Are we developing coaches now too while we develop players? I didn't like the hire then and don't now.

7. NCJetsfan

Sigh. Why do some of you guys always have to respond like wise asses? You bring down the level of discussion, and denigrate yourselves. Grow up.

Yes, I know it has been a question regarding Rex's extension, as no formal announcement has been made, and it is uncertain whether he will accept the rumored one-year extension, but NO mention has been made of these assistant coaches previously that I have seen.

8. NCJetsfan

I would too.

I'd also love to see a defensive drill for Wilson where while he is covering the receiver the QB makes no attempt to complete the pass, but instead drills the ball into the back of Wilson's helmet or between his shoulder blades each time in an effort to teach him to turn his darned head around. lol

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How the hell was I being a smartass? I was simply stating a fact. Sorry if that hurt your ass. Feel free to put me on ignore if my posts make you bunch up.

The assistant coaches were in fact discussed in the Rex thread too. Obviously they're directly affected by what kind of extension Rex gets or doesn't.

10. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Many of them are free to look for other work right now.

Despite the rah rah Rex is staying lockerroom scene. Idzik is clearly not ready to hook his wagon to Rex long term yet.

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Although he is primarily still a body catcher, his hands has improved a bit. It's the route running or lack there of someone needs to take the fall for.

12. NCJetsfan

It didn't "hurt my ass." Again, that just shows what a jackass prick you are. You really need to get over yourself, punk.

You were being a smartass with your "if you were paying attention" comment as if I haven't been. It was uncivil and contributed nothing positive to the conversation or my question. It was just a jerk wad comment. If you can't understand that, then you've got a bigger problem with anger or being a jerk than I think you do.

13. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Hmmm ... it seems your internet muscles are flexing. Impressive.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nor should he be. The Jets will have more talent next year and an expectation that they will compete well. I expect Rex will meet that expectation but until he does that the question is not going to be resolved.

The assistant coach maneuvering right now is largely centered on the fact that a few of the assistant coaches have not performed well over the last two years. Those guys are going to get weeded out.

Whether coaches who have performed, like Karl Dunbar, stay or not is an open question. The Jets are in transition right now and until the transition is complete one way or the other we'll have big questions.

Rex can complete it by doing well next year, otherwise Idzik will complete it.

16. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

I believe the assistant's contracts expire on January 31. Can anyone confirm?

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Other then Karl Dunbar who gives a shit anyway we could use new faces at Wr and Special Teams coach,Dennis Thurman is a puppet who I'm sure Rex wants to keep.I'm sure this will get figured out

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm under the impression they are all free agent coaches at this point and are free to talk to other teams.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Dunbar is a must keep IMO. Thurman is likely attached to Rex's hip.

David Lee is a good QB coach and if the plan is Geno it would probably be best to keep Morningwood too.

20. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Pretty sure contracts do not expire until the end of the month