Jameis Winston

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Poeman, Jan 7, 2014.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Isn't he essentially throwing to the same group E.J. Manuel was throwing to. Don't know if he is going to be very good or not but he seems to have put up better numbers and accomplished more with the pretty much the same roster at a younger age than his predecessor who went in the 1rst round. That should at least guarantee him a 1st round grade.

He has some accuracy issues, particularly ball placement, but he seems to know where to go with the football most of the time. Being able to make the right reads and take what the defense gives you is pretty impressive for a first year starter.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Excellent observation...I see the Big Ben comparison too, although Ben is tougher to bring down.

I'm tired of black qbs being compared to other black qbs...Not all of them play alike.

He's got a big frame and has a cannon

3. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

This. Although last night wasn't his best showing by any stretch, his accomplishments this year are pretty spectacular. Not only did he outplay a current NFL starter in Manuel, but he did it in his first year of college play.

Also last night, his offensive line had a pretty poor day and his WR's (including fan favorite here Kelvin Benjamin) were dropping passes all over the place. Not to excuse all of his poor plays, his team wasn't helping him that much.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

Benjamin dropped one pass. The defense also dropped a pick or two. Winston wasnt very good last night. If Auburn actually tackled Rashad Greene at the 50, we may be singing a different tune. I wasnt very impressed last night, but there's no denying his accomplishments throughout the year. I am certainly not ready to put him on the same tier as Luck, and probably not Bridgewater. He does have at least another year so Im sure he'll only get better.

5. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

I thought he dropped a few but I could be wrong. Either way the FSU WR's didn't have a very good game, regardless of Winston's troubles.

It also makes me laugh that many on TGG are willing to give up a 1st round pick for Derrick Carr, but are now so critical of Winston.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This, this and this.

7. Mangold Goldman

It's the overanalyzation of popular and big time players, people look for any chink in the armor whatsoever. The only guy i can really think of that escaped this was Luck.

Look at Clowney, if you listen to Espn he's a bum who has talent but doesn't try and doesn't care, and has a decent bust factor. Maybe this is partly true, but just a year ago he was the next great defensive hall of famer and surefire number one pick.

Too many sports outlets and too many hours in the day to fill with over analysis and over scrutinizing

8. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Kiper is very very high on him. Referenced him on ESPN Radio yesterday as a Luck/Elway prospect, not even exaggerating there, those were the comparisons Kiper made.

He didn't have a good game last night, but at least salvaged it at the end with some clutch play. He gets another year of seasoning at Florida State, likely to be on another championship caliber squad. Based on the hype around him, you will hear people talk about bad teams tanking in 2014 season to have a shot at the #1 pick and land him. We won't be one of those teams though so little point in discussing him a ton.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

I just said the truth, its not being so critical. Carr didnt have a great game against USC just like Winston didnt have a great game against Auburn. I think its funny that people here are ready to tank for him next year, which would mean that so many things went wrong with this team and we have many issues beyond the QB position. He's a great prospect, no doubt. But I am not putting him on the same level as Luck.

10. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Idk if he has the brains to be a Luck/Elway type prospect.

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Winston is not as good as advertised right now not even close but with a year of work maybe he takes steps in the right direction but right now he's no sure thing

12. aburre

aburre Member

dude said winston didn't impress him with any throws, I can show you 5+ throws he made this year that were absolutely wow worth

I can't post links because I don't have enough posts but look on youtube. "Best Of Jameis Winston" vs NC State, Maryland, Florida, and Nevada...some of the most accurate throws a QB can make

kid has a damn cannon!! People acting like Andrew Luck was even remotely as good as Winston is at his age. He wasn't

13. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

By 2015 hopefully we'll be celebrating a wild card win and a season where Geno threw 30 TDs and only 13 INTs due to his new super group of WRs ^_^

14. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Boi got skills for a frosh.

15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Definitely see a little Ben in him too. Good comparison. With time and seasoning he'll get even better at extending plays in the pocket as he already does a good job of that now. Needs to make quicker reads when he plays SEC type defenses. Besides that I think the kid has a shot to be a good pro QB.

16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I also think he's very similar to Roethlisberger but that's not because of their off the field activity. They throw similar, they are both big tough to bring down QB's. They both excel at extending plays and they are both poor runners, but can pick up some yards if defenses are caught off guard.

17. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the reason the werent able to tackle greene is because winston timed his pass well and put the ball in the perfect spot in the zone, right in between those two defenders

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yeah...Ok.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's not totally correct. If we're talking about the same play on FSU's game-winning drive, CB Davis took a horrible angle on the play, and not only took himself out of the play, but knocked the Auburn defender who was covering Greene down and out of the play as well. Davis pretty much cost Auburn the game with his bad defensive play in the 2nd half. He was awful.

20. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Problem with Winston is that he's not a pure GREAT thrower and he really is somewhat of a plodder as a runner.

He's a big brute of a guy with a very good arm and he can make plays with his legs, but he doesn't have the arm talent of a Teddy or Mariota or Carr or Mettenberger or the legs of a Mariota or Manziel or Boyd.

He's still young, and could become a complete player, but he's nowhere near a finished product. He's got to tighten up his release--it looks really slow and elongated.

Also kind of funny some poster the other day said Winston was already twice the player Teddy ever was and ever will be.

Teddy will never be as big as Winston or the brute of a runner, but his arm talent is far superior to Winstons. Much quicker release, much more accurate, stronger, better touch, better into tight windows, better long ball.

_