Cromartie expects to be cut

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetsclaps, Jan 5, 2014.

1. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Even if he gets cut, no reason he can't come back at a lower salary.

2. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Pat's will pick him up cheap.

3. Jetropolitan33

Anyone see Cro on NFL network? Hes not too bad, just looks down alot. And has a extremely loud shirt.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am hoping he is back at a reduced rate, he is MUCH better than he played this year and was clearly hobbled.

5. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

Spot on. There was even talk that the hip injury was going to be season ending and he played through it without missing any time. We obviously need to bring his cap number down but from the look of it he sounds like he's open to taking a party cut.

Idzik seems to Draft bpa so if a corner is at the top of our Draft chart even in the 1st or 2nd round I think he'd pull the trigger. I know people here will flip their shit if that happens but drafting bpa is how you build and sustain a winning franchise.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he has also appeared to have matured as a person and leader. This was a guy who paid for all the DBs to train w/ him in California this past offseason(I think it was California).

7. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Jets&Year=2014

the 2014 cap is expected to be $126 mill, were currently at $101

cutting sanchez ($8.3), holmes ($8.25), and cro ($9.5) frees about $26 mill plus whatever we can carry over from 2013

there will need to be money set aside for draft picks and in season operating costs, but as of right now were looking at about $50 mill in cap space

we'll be in good shape in 2015 too when the dead money from the three aforementioned cuts and david harris come off of the books

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

9. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

Yeah he has, in interviews I've heard multiple players refer to him as coach cro. With the expected influx of young players through last year's and this year's Draft I think it would be wise to bring back that veteran leader presence to the locker room. His play will improve as his health improves so I'm not too worried about that, but those intangibles that he brings will make it worth it to resign him to a more friendly cap figure.

10. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Cro will be back for us next season with a restructured contract, if he's not I would be very surprised.
    I think we address our secondary in the off-season and will go with a young core, so vet leadership is a must. Despite not having the best season (who did in our secondary?) I think he did enough despite carrying his injury.

I'm more concerned by the thickness of his bins

[​IMG]

#50 gustoonarmy, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  11. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

who else is available? if theres others we can move on to i'd rather do that... but if not i'd take cromartie back for a more realistic price.. kinda pissed me off that he played for a whole season and we ALL KNEW he had this hip problem but he went out there played poorly like the worst play of his life and it was hurting the team in the worst way but we continued to let him play

12. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

Injured cro > anybody else we had on the roster.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Can't say I agree with that, although I agree with what you said about Cro. If you don't factor in actual needs (future needs, not always immediate ones) to your decision it will lead to big weakness in other areas of the team. Do you honestly believe that if the BPA is a D linesman that we're just going to draft another one in the first round this year? Of course not, it would be stupid. Last year it was justifiable because we needed to replace Po'uha. We need an offense and need to surround Geno Smith with some young weapons to grow with. Look what Idzik drafted last year. DT, CB, QB, OG, OT, OG. They are all needs, not just bpa. I'll agree with best WR/TE available if we go that route.

#53 Barcs, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Beat me to it about Idzik.

Anyway, I would like to have Cro back, but I do fear someone else like the Pats might get him if he gets cut.

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

wow, that is one horrendous shirt! lol

i've really liked Cro, but cutting him makes a lot of sense.
    unfortunately we'll have to eat 5+mil in dead cap (on top of Sanchez and Holmes dead cap), but too hard to pass up on clearing 9.5 mil.

i wouldn't be against re-signing him for less, but might be more appealing to go after a guy like Verner. There are a lot of competent CB FA's this year, and Verner would be at the top of my list..

16. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

The bonus is guaranteed so no matter what we pay him 5 mil for 2014 which is why most think he will be cut and then resigned by jets.

17. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

do you think that $12 million cap hit for an inside 3-4 lb is a good way to spend money? :eek:hmy:

18. mr nyjet

if idzik does draft a corner high, I wonder if cro has the goods to play free safety? :eek:fftopic:

19. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I think he would be good at it, but his tackling is not very good.

20. mr nyjet

in watching our games this year, he can't be any worse than some of our other players on defense who are supposed to be allegedly better .:drunk: