Cromartie expects to be cut

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetsclaps, Jan 5, 2014.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Revis didn't do too well this year either.

Trading both of them would have helped if our psychic powers would have predicted Cro's hip injury.

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yeah, I was saying this as well. Cro's value was at its highest and Revis' was at its lowest. Since Revis is better than Cromartie, their value was almost the same with Revis' injury last season. I guess they preferred to keep their pro bowler and drop the guy who might not have come back the same player to be safe. I'm pretty sure he'll be back at a cheaper rate just like Holmes. Although if Milliner keeps playing like he did the last 4 games I'll be happy and consider it the right move.

#22 Barcs, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Restructure his contract. He'll be back next year at a cheaper price.

4. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

We have $40 mil+ in cap space.

Verner, domique-Rodgers cromartie, Talib , Sam shields,

There's lots of DB in the open market, all of whom are a huge upgrade to Cro.

For the life of me, I'll never understand all the love he gets on tgg. He was average the first two years, and had a terrible year in 2013.

His performance over the past 4 years is almost the same as sanchez. Plays with heart, but when you compare him to other players in the league, the guy is a below average corner.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I thought on pro football focus he graded out as a top 5 corner last year after Revis went down?

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yep. That post above is flat out bullshit. He played like a top 5 corner last year and has always been better than just about every #2 corner in the league and many #1s. This year he played hurt most of the year. Gotta give him some credit for toughing it out, but it may be a blessing in disguise, since it lowers his value and means we'll retain him for cheaper. I think the guy above is just assuming Cro won't get better when he recovers fully from that injury. Comparing him to Sanchez is probably the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It would be typical of a Rex Ryan team to have some money to spend in FA and blow it mostly on defense. We need to extend Wilk which will take a good chunk - if we spent most of the rest on a CB I'll be waiting for us to take Loius Nix in the first.

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

The way his contract is written it is almost impossible to restructure. He has to be cut and then resigned, which runs the risk of another team jumping in.

9. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

He was facing #2 receivers all of 2010 and 2011, and wasn't that good.

He had a good 12 game stretch after revis went down.

He is a bottom 5 ranked cb in 2013, and his performance was worse than dee milliners.
    ----------------------

Overall, he's at best an avg. corner on the decline. With our cap space, we can do much better.

Cut him loose and get some new talent.

#29 rsmehta, Jan 5, 2014
  10. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

I don't think you realize how much cap space we have.

Cut sanchez, Cro, Holmes,
    Restructure harris

We are looking close to $50 mil to spend.

Mo wilk may take up 9-10mil cap hit the first year.

There's a a lot of room to upgrade many of our position players. In Rex defense, it will really help to have elite corners, and Cro no longer is elite.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Show me how we have close to $50 mil to spend.

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We can't cut Cromartie loose.

Think of the children, all eleven of them.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

He was still better than most other #2 CBs. We have been spoiled by having Revis and expecting corners to never get burned for TDs. LOL at "wasn't that good". You got anything to back up that claim? Plus he faced #1s for half of 2010 when Revis was hurt after holding out. Whoops! Guess you forgot about that one!

He had a pro bowl caliber stretch, against all #1 WRs. Oops! So much for him being only good against #2 WRs!

He was also injured almost the entire season.

Too easy. Bring real arguments next time instead of one liners that contradict each other. lol at that analysis!

#33 Barcs, Jan 5, 2014
  14. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

If we cut cromartie we should definitely pick up either Alterraun Verner or Vontae Davis.

.... Sign (one of) these beasts

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If I remember right a bunch of CBs jumped ship last year to strike gold in the FA market only to be very disappointed. Guys hoping to cash in around $8-$10M ended up begging for a job around $4M. There was even conspiracy theories about owner collusion to keep FA $'s down.

Cro had to have seen that and may be thankful for a shot at staying put for $4-$5M/yr.

16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He's the best athlete on the team, had a great 2012 and was probably injured during all of 2013. My guess is that he'll be resigned for 2014 at a lower salary.

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He should be brought back at a cheaper salary. Good vet and locker room guy, could get another good year out of him if he gets healthy.

18. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

It's also a latent effect of the past Revis holdouts/failed negotiations. Cro gained leverage as Revis' future with the Jets became increasingly tenuous. Now his contract is at its most bloated meanwhile his play fell off a cliff from injury/age/whatever combination. He has to be cut, the question becomes whether it's worth the risk to bring him back cheaper or move on entirely, allocating more FA money elsewhere.

It will be very telling to see how well Idzik handles this situation along with Holmes and FA acquisitions. There are some tough, but clear decisions to be made, and some that are less clear but also very important, (which FAs to sign, extending contracts.) Hopefully he shows the toughness to get rid of Holmes entirely, and the intelligence and creativity to make some good decisions regarding FAs and what to do about Cromartie after cutting him.

19. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

The only time "Vontae Davis" and "beast" should be used in the same sentence is when he is compared to Vernon. As in, "Why can't Vontae be a beast like Vernon?"

20. The_NYTitan

The_NYTitan Member

I would love to retain him. Let him recover from surgery. Decide next offseason.