Salary Cap Picture

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Idzik seems to be a guy who looks for the most bang for the buck,
    so exploring FA CBs and safeties could be something that we see.

2. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

Cut all 3. If Cro will come back on the cheap bring him back. I'd also cut Wilson while your at it. Don't see Idzik as a guy who's going to pull a Jeff Ireland and I'm very happy about that. I've yet to see a team that wins March actually win the Super Bowl.

3. Blue Raven

Blue Raven New Member

Cromartie is on the decline. Jump ship or switch him to free safety.

4. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I wamt golden Tate more than any other free agent. He's not the biggest, fastest, or tallest WR but he's an absolute gamer. Every time I watch the Seahawks I see him make a big catch and big play.

As for Mo Wilk, let JJ Watt set the market and pay Mo a few mil less.

5. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

Here's why I think we go all in on Geno next year (meaning we don't draft a qb in the 1st 3 rounds and only bring in a journeyman vet like Campbell or Hill; and then surround Geno with offensive weapons preferably game breakers).

With no contact extension for Rex it's a logical assumption that he's once again coaching for his job in 2014. With that in mind why draft a rookie qb in the 1st round and break him in with one set of coaches and offensive system only to have to burn it all down and start over again if Rex gets fired? That lack of consistency will set any rookie back, especially a qb.

Then you have to also assume that the coach Idzik brings in to replace Rex in 2015 will want to have a say on his qb of the future. Considering that the fate of the head coach and the teams qb are tied at the hip, I can't imagine any coach not wanting to give it a go with "their guy".

So I think we build the other parts of the team (wr, te, ol, safety, olb, and cb) using the draft and free agency. We aquire most of the pieces we need to have anyway in 2014. Then come 2015 you make the decision to move on from Rex and Geno, then get a new head coach and go draft (what we all hope) will be our franchise qb who'll be playing behind a solid o-line, throwing to play making wrs and tes, and handing it off to Ivory and Powell.

6. Mangold Goldman

Why cut Wilson? He obviously hasnt panned out to be a good use of our first round pick in 2010, but he's fine as a 3rd corner/nickel. Not sure how much he's making, but it can't be so bad since he's still on his rookie deal.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post. Spot on.

8. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Just a thought: Should Antonio Cromartie be cut the jets will save 9.5 million, having payed him over 5 million in dead money.

I was thinking think the most ideal scenario is to cut him and maybe pay more for a CB like Verner to replace him.

but then I realized something; restructuring his contract to make it where he's payed ONLY the amount of the guaranteed cash in prorated bonuses and maybe the bare amount of base cash he can make may be the most cap efficient way of doing things.

in other words instead of paying another proven corner something to the effect of maybe 5-10 million next year in addition to that dead money (where we'd probably only save couple million at best) its best for the financial sake of the organization to keep Cro for what he's owned (remember, thats 5 million that'll be payed no matter what the jets do) and some mandated change on the side as a base salary.

this would mean we'd be saving 8 million, more than they would by replacing him and only very slightly less if they cut him and moved on without signing another CB. we get to keep our valuable team leader, AND save money for other positions.

Unless they are unequivocally sure he's got nothing left, this seems to be the best idea to implement going forward.

9. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The reason i don't go all in with Smith is because we have no idea how smith will come back in 2014. He could have a miserable camp and pre-season. He might slack off in the off season and not work on fixing all of his issues. They can pay a veteran to come in and challenge to start on a one year deal since it will only be a one year deal and won't impact the cap in 2015. See if Smith can actually win a QB battle in camp -- with Sanchez they had Brunell, with Smith they had Garrard -- bring in a legit 1A starter caliber and see what happens. If Smith can't win the job he was never going to be the guy and better let him sit and watch with clip board.

10. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

doubt that part, he'll at least try, but I agree some kind of plan b is needed.

11. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

When's the first day Idzik can cut players?

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

+1 Geno is said to have a great work ethic. He obviously worked very hard learning the WCO system this season and adjusting to the NFL, as well as working on his fundamentals. He still has a long ways to go, and I have every confidence he will put in the necessary work.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I would be really curious about how Jets proceeds with Ed Reed. If Reed remains on the team in any coaching capacity [which I would absolutely love] then Jets should not waste another second to release Cro; just look at the turnaround Milliner had. A bargain-bin CB signing or mid-round CB pick will be more than sufficient. [I am leaning toward the latter.] Of course the coverage NEXT YEAR may suffer, but will be damn good in less than 3 years.

Same with Landry - no reason to keep him when you can get equal production out of a draft pick.

2. Sanchez? Holmes?

[YOUTUBE]QaG2Acg8n60[/YOUTUBE]

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Holmes has already stated that he'd take a paycut to stay on the team. He'll be back for cheap, he won't be cut. I think Cro will restructure as well and both will be back. Sanchez is gone, however.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we cut Cro and resign him we end up eating about $5 mil of dead money now that could otherwise be spread over his new contract.

16. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Problem with Cro is you now have a high paid corner with diminishing skills you hope were due to injuries, who isn't physical, and who is having surgery on his hip.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The guy is freakishly athletic and as tall as most safeties.

Only a year ago he played at a pro bowl level.

At his age I do not think one bad year due to injury could be considered diminishing skills.

If anything we may get a great deal on an incentive based contract that will pay him big only if he earns it.

18. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Cromartie needs to move to safety. He could have 5+ picks a year at safety.

19. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

People just love to hate him despite his being a top nickel corner in the league. Not what you want out of first rounders, but definitely a valuable player.

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We still need Cromartie ,hopefully he gets healthy and returns to form witch I feel like he will,why create another hole by cutting him