Salary Cap Picture

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Dec 30, 2013.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Dawan Landry is slated to count $1.5 million against the cap. Nothing is pro-rated. Cutting him saves the entire amount. I would cut him loose but if you think we should keep him just add $1.5 mil to the numbers below:

Three players are scheduled to count a total of $38.8 million against the cap. I would work with Cromartie to lock him up for a few years and get his average cap number down. Sanchez I would keep around if he took a huge pay cut and Homles I would cut loose. Here is their info:

Player Cap Space if kept - cap savings if cut

Antonio Cromartie $14,980,000 $9,500,000
    Mark Sanchez $13,100,000 $8,300,000
    Santonio Holmes $10,750,000 $8,250,000

Totals $38,830,000 $26,050,000

The remaining 37 players on our roster cost a combined $60,601,921 against the cap. If we were to cut the big three the dead money would be $12,780,000 leaving us with a cap cost of $73,381,921 with 37 players on our roster.

This does not count $48,958 of dead money for 12 players already cut loose (including McElroy).

The total projected salary cap for 2014 is $126,300,000.

#1 James Hasty, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cromartie will be a big decision this off-season. Do we cut him or restructure his contract and spread that 14 million over another year or 2?

Millner isn't ready for CB1 yet (maybe next off-season if he continues his improvement) but we still need Cro out there.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm guessing the Jets structure Mo Wilk's extension to put a lot of the cap cost in 2014. That's one guy you don't worry about dogging after he's gotten paid. He's got his eyes on Canton.

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

If he really wants to retire a Jet, he will re do the deal, because there is no way in hell we are keeping him at that price as is.

The Other two are all but gone. Holmes needed to have a healthy productive year to have a shot at all and he didn't. Geno's play in the last month all but guaranteed that Mark is a goner. Its Geno's team next season with a full offseason to have the starter reps and hopefully some added talent to work with. The Sanchez deal is a killer for our current cap.

5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Agreed here with all of it. I do believe Cromartie restructures his deal. As I mentioned in another post, if healthy, he's got at about 2 more years at CB and 3 on top of that at FS if he's open to a position switch.

I still do not hesitate on Sanchez...he's "to the curb" and replaced with a Shaun Hill like player for 1/4 of the salary and twice the production. Let that FA signing compete with Geno to make sure he continues to improve. As far as Holmes goes...don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you is all I can say.

If Idzik is ANY kind of GM he locks Wilk up with something in the ball park of at least 5-8yrs.

6. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Cromartie never said he would take less money. He said he would be willing to restructure. Players are always willing to restructure when no loss of money is involved. I think they will cut him and see what the market brings

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I too would keep Sanchez at a lower number then cut Holmes and Cro. CB is a young man's position and Cro will be 30 next year. He's always had difficulty with shifty guys; it's only going to get worse with age, healthy or not.

Are there any other cut worthy players with lesser contracts?

8. James Hasty

Cromartie is a tough nut because he has one year left with more than $9 mil of new money and we do not know if his hip will be 100%.

What would make the most sense is to convert some of the guaranteed money to incentive or performance based money. Cromartie would take the risk of making less money next year but if plays lights out and he goes to the pro bowl he would make more.

We could also offer him an extension dependant on him passing a physical and proving that the hip is good to go.

9. James Hasty

The most we save by cutting anyone else we could possibly live without is $2 mil.

With $50 million in free cap space I would worry more about filling out our roster, paying our draft class, and trying to keep Cro and maybe Sanchez instead of eating their prorated bonuses as dead money.

If he is healthy I would absolutely keep Cromartie. The guy wants to be here and is a freakish athelete.

10. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

holmes and sanchez are two easy cuts. they don't really have value thats unattainable through cheaper replacements in free agency despite what they've done in 2010.

its best to move on from that phase completely, first by rolling with Smith as our teams focus at QB while also signing an effective backup/competitor in case he doesn't pan out, and then by selecting a new future WR in the draft with an able veteran that can contribute for a good amount of time as well.

Cro was always gonna be restructured by years end, (we didn't pay Revis that amount, we sure as hell won't do it for #31) his injury riddled regression makes one consider the possibility of not even entertaining that notion, but ultimately I think whats left gets spread through 3 years.

he's in no place to negotiate, this should be an easy action thats beneficial to a player that likely won't make much in free agency after a year like he's had and to team thats trying let their hopeful new top CB adjust.

11. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Completely disagree. We need to restructure Cro. He may never be what he was, but at the very least, he should be a serviceable corner for another year or two. Who would we get to replace him? A healthy Cromartie is still better than most CB's in the league. How many of the playoff teams this season have elite Pro Bowl CB's?

I just don't understand this "keep Sanchez around" sentiment. Why? What more do you possibly need to see from this guy? 4 years of being at the bottom of every single QB measurable, and at the top of the turnover list ... That's not enough? He can't play. We don't need guys who can't play on the roster.

Santonio is even more clear cut. He doesn't care. We don't need guys who don't care on the roster.

12. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

any idea of what Wilkerson is likely to receive? any other top DE contracts to go off for instance?

13. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Agree with everything said here. Look, Mark is slated for his next career as a legit backup for SOMEBODY else. No way, no how, can he be allowed to look over Geno's shoulder. This team needs to go all in with Geno and get him some legitimate weapons. The kid is far from a finished product, but I saw plenty of flashes to be encouraged that he can be a very good QB in this league. Probably won't ever be a top 5, or even top 10, but for a second round pick he could solve the QB problem for the next 5 years, at least.

And Holmes? C'mon. Not even at league min is he worth the aggravation. Classic Santonio yesterday, after a catch along the sideline all he's doing is looking around AFTER he went out of bounds to see if he made the first so he could do his stupid 'first down' celebration.

14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Cromartie is a very tough call. He's played his ass off for us since he's been here, and has been better than we expected. We didn't skip a beat last year when Revis went down, and this year he's been banged up but stayed out there. He easily could have sat out a few games. I wouldn't blame him for rejecting a hefty pay cut. The burn of the secondary has been his to carry since October '12.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I heard Cro in the radio earlier.

He was asked flat out if injury affected his play. He said absolutely.
    He also said he wanted to retire a Jet and consider a pay cut.

Sure this may have been posturing but if he takes a cut, they should work something out.

16. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Jets&Year=2014

This page is really good. Has the player salaries & $$ u save by cutting them.

17. James Hasty

18. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

It's good Jets will have some money to spend on FA but Idzik shouldn't get carried away and try to be the Free Agency Winners. Those teams usually under perform and I think it's because too many expensive pieces are trying to fit onto one roster at the same time. Before this season started, everyone claimed the Dolphins were offseason winners and ready to knock off NE. The season before that, it was some other team that "won" the Free Agency period and didn't meet expectations in the regular season. This cycle repeats too often to be ignored.

Idzik already has enough money to add some quality FA after cutting Sanchez+Holmes. Take those players signed with Sanchez/Holmes money + twelve draft picks and play it out for 2014. In 2015, the safety position will be in better shape and Millner will have one more year under his belt. 2015 is the year to play hardball with Cro. He's a high salary next year but there's plenty of cap space left to improve this team.

Cro has always laid it on the line for the Jets. He returns kicks in big spots. He's willing to play WR. He was injured this season and pushed through it without missing any games. He also locked down that #1 CB spot when Revis decided he didn't wanna be a Jet anymore. He's done enough for us to give him benefit of the doubt and see him play 2014 healthy. Also, Jets can easily pay him (for 2014 only) & set this team up for a bright future.

#18 ajax, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  19. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

i'll be pretty happy if Milliner is ready for "CB2" next year and isn't out of the league in 2 years

Cro's contract is inflated. he was toasted repeatedly this year. maybe it's because of his hip. who knows.

20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I used the over the cap calculator and gave antonio smith the franchise tag on the texans since he plays a comparable position to Will, and it listed as 11 mil or so. Assuming that is accurate Wilk will likely command 12-13 mil a year for his deal. Home town discount... Maybe if it's obvious that Rex will be here for a long time.