With the 18th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Axel3419, Dec 29, 2013.

1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I just did some quick research, so I may have missed something.

The last time 3 receivers were taken before the 18th pick was 2005. That was a long ass time ago.

Why are we so sure Evans or Lee wont fall to us at 18. I cant picture 3 receivers and 2 TE's going before the 18th pick, especially considering all the QB's that will be taken.

2. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

This year will be an offense heavy draft, they'll be gone by then more than likely. QB's are more likely to plunge than top WR's.

3. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

There's going to be a QB run in round one, and I don't see a lot of WR hungry teams ahead of us, even at #18. Watkins, Evans might be there. Ebron/Amaro/ ASJ too. We could probably trade back and get an extra pick if we want Lee/Benjamin. This draft has a lot of WR depth, but I don't see any freaks of nature or once in a lifetime guys out there besides Clowney (assuming he gets his head out of his ass), so I don't see any value in trading up. We should focus on getting two or three difference makers and improving our overall depth.

I think the Tanny years of constantly trading up burned us from a depth perspective, and I don't see us repeating that mistake. We have needs at S, CB, LB, and OLine and I don't think we should sacrifice filling those needs by trading picks just to move up for one player. FA will certainly affect our draft approach, but my hope is that we use FA for depth/youth and try to avoid over-spending on "splash" veteran signings.

4. JCLA

JCLA Active Member

I agree. I think offense is a much greater need though and that's where our focus should be for the first round.

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I agree that it is more offensive skill position heavy than most, but I would be shocked if all the pass catchers (Watkins/Evans/Lee/Ebron) are gone. 4 QB's will probably be taken, at least 3 or 4 OT's. Clowney/Barr/Nix/Mack will be taken. There are a couple of DB's that could go as well. Not to mention the guys that will inevitably shoot up with impressive combines.

I would be pretty shocked if Watkins/Evans/Ebron/Amaro/Lee are all gone by the 18th pick.

6. JCLA

JCLA Active Member

I'm just praying we get somebody on offense. Our defense is not where it was a couple of years ago where it could carry us to the playoffs.

7. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

8. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Allen Robinson will end up being the best WR in the 2014 draft... MARK IT DOWN.

Love how he high points the ball

9. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

So the Jets have 4 picks in the first three rounds, If I am correct we get an extra 3rd for the
    mevis trade to the Tamba. I would be happy with Rd1 and Rd2 picks being offence and then the BEST possible player available. WR - TE or TE - WR.

10. freemantoon

freemantoon Active Member

would love to draft benjamin if watkins doesn't fall to us, which he obviously won't. seferian jenkins at te looks like a beast and would be perfect for geno. my gut tells me we're not drafting a qb. hope i'm wrong.

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Plenty of talent in the skills position on offense in this draft.

If we cannot obtain a quality guy it will have more to do with Idzik blowing it rather than our draft position. At 18 we can bring in a receiver that can have an immediate impact.

12. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

NFL teams have been pretty good in recent years drafting WR's in the first round. It seems like maybe they're getting better at figuring out who can be a productive WR in the NFL. Though the track record of picking 18th or later hasn't been too good recently.

25. Santonio Holmes

2. Calvin Johnson
    9. Ted Ginn
    23. Dwayne Bowe
    27. Robert Meachem
    30. Craig Davis
    32. Anthony Gonzalez

2008 - No first round WRs

2009 -
    7. Darrius Heyward-Bey*
    10. Michael Crabtree
    19. Jeremy Maclin
    22. Percy Harvin
    29. Hakeem Nicks
    30. Kenny Britt

22. Demaryius Thomas
    24. Dez Bryant

4. A.J. Green
    6. Julio Jones
    26. Jonathan Baldwin

5. Justin Blackmon
    13. Michael Floyd
    20. Kendall Wright
    30. A.J. Jenkins

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Edit, delete

14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Look how long ago it was that 3 of the first 4 picks were offensive lineman (which happened 2013 NFL Draft). You'll be going back a lot longer than 2005. The only rule that applies to every draft is that at least one team will over reach to for a QB.

15. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Marquise Lee, WR, USC

16. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

One of them might drop, but i dont think it will be evans. and evans is the only one id consider drafting. and we might need to move up ahead of st. louis to do it, and almost def. would need to move up in front of baltimore to do it.

Lee doesnt excite me much. and id vomit if we took a tight end

17. LawnGylander

LawnGylander New Member

If Taylor Lewan from Michigan falls, I'd snatch him right up. There is age on the offensive line.....Ferguson, Colon, Mangold. Go after Hoffman from BYU down further, 6'4" with really good hands. I know he is another possession receiver but maybe we can find a speedburner down further in the draft. Please, no more Kyle Brady's over Warren Sapp's early in the draft. Would not pick a tight end at 18 with needs at OL and WR first.

18. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Evans won't drop, the guy is a stud and will go very high. He's the only player I would trade up for in this years draft (well Bridgewater too, but he's simply out of reach).

19. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I was messing around with:

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php

and I drafted the following:

R1: WR MARQISE LEE
    R2: OLB KYLE VAN NOY
    R3: TE AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS
    R3: RB CHARLES SIMS
    R4: QB DAVID FALES

20. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Because we've traded up throughout Tannebaum's tenure and it hurt our depth by doing so?

We need to either trade down or stay afloat. We need some keepers out of this draft. No to giving up picks for a trade up for a WR...this class is rather deep at WRs. The cost to jump up for Watkins would be insane and Rex may love Watkins with his Clemson roots and all but Watkins has a shot to be a top 7 pick.

If we can trade down for a team hungry for a falling OT(Miami picks behind us) and get our targeted TE, that would be perfect. Get a 3rd or 4th round pick in the process, keep stockpiling our depth.