With the 18th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Axel3419, Dec 29, 2013.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I do actually prefer the draft to the regular season - sorry.

2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

For sure. If we get one of the top end TEs then I say we go WR in the second round as well. After that we can worry about the other positions or just go BPA.

If we get a WR in the first round I'm okay with drafting a S or OLB in the second round and picking up a TE in the 3rd, assuming none of the top end TEs have fallen to our spot in the second round, obviously.

3. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

Remember Rex is still here and he loves him some Cornerback.

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

there would be a mutiny if this should occur.

i dont think CB will be on the 1st round radar unless he is the second coming of d. sanders.

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

if Cro goes then CB is a definite area of need but I think that they would have to go for a vet in FA given the relative youth of the other potential starters.

6. vedmedv

vedmedv Member

i live in miami and have to hear the annoying Fins fans (the most fairweather fans in the nfl or any other major sport) talk shit all week long. THIS was SWEET. and now i get to get revenge. still top 20 in draft. jets need 3-4 impact players. 11th or 18th .......little difference.

7. daddy dearest

daddy dearest New Member

agree 100%. cb can stand to be improved but gotta think it's time to use a first rounder for some offensive talent

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets picked Sheldon Richardson in the 13th slot last year. Who knows if he would have fallen to 18? I know that when the Jets picked him, all the "experts" were scratching their heads.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Most of the experts had Richardson going by the 13 or thereabouts. Same for Lotulelei. I think the head-scratching was more about why two dominant defensive tackles were still on the board that late in the draft.

10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Looks like there are six 8-8 teams this season. Out of all of them we are picking second to last in the first round. Does that mean we'll be picking second of all those picks in the second round? I always thought teams with the same records change draft positions every round.

11. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

We need to trade our #18 overall pick and our later third rounder to move up and snag Lee/Watkins/Evans.. We really can't afford to miss one if those guys. Haven't had a number 1 receiver since Keyshawn. It is very important.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Trading up is for suckers. If all the 1st round WR's are gone by the time the Jets pick rolls around then trade down and take a 1st round TE in the mid 20's.

13. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

they need to make sure they pick the right player.. im on board with it because for some reason i think theres something special in those players, maybe not all of them but im def on board with staying put and taking the top tight end because that is a big need as well

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with you. While there's no such thing as a sure bet these 3 guys are as close as you'll get to it. Probably have a shot to snag one of them if we get inside the top 12.

The first pick can't be a project pick. All 3 of these guys have excelled at the highest level in college and all project well in the NFL. Use the late 3rd to move up and we still have a pick in each round. Not to mention FA.

15. Jay Bizniss

Exactly. With that extra third rounder and the amount of money we have in free agency, I say we can afford to use that pick to get one of these guys.. If we have the chance to get our own version of Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, or AJ Green, you have to take it.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I see no reason to trade up at all - that is for SB contenders. If we miss out on Lee or Watkins there are several good wide receivers available in Jordan Matthews and Allen Robinson. Or you could go TE with Amaro or Ebron

17. Jay Bizniss

The Jets don't need a good receiver.. We need a great one.. We have an extra third rounder, why not use it to trade up??

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Good or great whatever choice of words you prefer. We need this roster to be more talented from top to bottom. It will cost more than just the 18th pick and a 3rd rounder to move up 5 or 6 spots - that is a pipe dream you can't even achieve in Madden 25.

I believe the players I listed above could be great (since you prefer this choice of words) weapons on our offense going forward.

19. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I know this is thinking out of the box since RB isn't their highest priority, but what do we think of the RB Hyde out of Ohio State at 18?

20. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Does anybody know the answer to this? Does our draft position improve in round 2?