Rex overrated... defense has been worse every year he was here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Dec 20, 2013.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

We know Rex only knows Defense and contributes nothing to the other areas of football. So when we grade him and how good he really is at coaching and building a defense you expect GREAT things to come. Not so with Rex.

The Jets’ defense has actually regressed in each of Ryan’s seasons, following an NFL-leading 252.3 yards/game in his 2008 debut. They fell to third the next season, fifth in 2011 and slid to eighth last year. Right now the Jets are ranked 12th in defense.

So with a great defensive mind how is it we have gotten worse every year? Is it he hasn't been able to draft or select his players? Are his hands being tied by the GM? NO WAY! He has ignored the offense and put more into the defense in the draft than any other team over the last four years and turned the 1st ranked defense he mostly inherited and turned it into average.

ALL five 1st round picks in the last four drafts were defensive players. ALL FIVE and if you add in Ellis who was the Jets 2nd pick of the 2011 draft that is over half of the defense has been Ryan's quality picks and we have gotten worse.

No team has selected that many 1st round defensive picks in the last four drafts, which mean Rex is way overrated not only as a HC, but as a DC and a talent scout. I won't even talk about the defensive FAs he paid to bring in and are now gone or never panned out like he thought they would.

Time to say goodbye to the slimmer kiss ass and how I wish we still had that overweight brash windbag back that we signed five years ago.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

get ready to be grilled by the rexists....:wink:

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I would like to see it broken down more. Just giving up more yards per game doesnt mean much to me. There are a lot of variables that go along with it. The Jets have become masters of the three and out. They turn the ball over a ton. The offense rarely scores points, which definitely takes its toll on the defense.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're going to start a topic, why not do a bit more research. Perhaps yards per play, or something along those lines. I'm on the fence with Rex and could be convinced that he isnt the answer. Not that its your job to convince me lol. The raw numbers are interesting but definitely dont tell the whole story.

#3 jcass10, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Rex's defensive rankings based on total yards per game are scary good when you consider our offense ran by Sanchez and now Geno has given the other team 3-5 extra possessions a game to rack up extra yards.

Add to that our seemingly constant 3 & outs on offense and Rex has done it with a tired defense.

And add to that the fact Rex has played the NFLs top offense 2 times a year for the past 5 years.

With all that going against him, Rex's defense has averaged a top 5 defense in the entire NFL over the last 5 years.

Give Rex an offense that even remotely holds up their end of the bargain and Rex would have a top one or two defense in the NFL for the next 10 years.

But yeah, other than that he sucks.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

When we had a successful run game it allowed the defense to stay off the field more. Im not sure if the time of possession correlates to that though.

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

fully agree; the yards per game stat cannot be looked at when ranking this team.

there are so many other closet stats for a defense that really get down and dirty into the actual performance of that defense.

there are stats for defenses after the offense goes ( 3 plays) 3 and out, gets 1 1st down, gets 2 1st downs. and so on. i ccame across a grid like that last year and was amazed at the statistical breakdown.

8. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

How about Rex building an offence rather than giving him one.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

While I do think it's important to have a good defense, you don't have to be top 5 to win a SB.

The leagues best defenses have been smoked routinely in the playoffs by good offenses, I would rather we have a top 5 offense than a top 5 defense.

What has his defense done for the jets? More bad seasons that good, let's go in a different direction and hire a HC who can manage a top 5 offense, correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Pats have a bottom of the league defense more often than not?

Rex has only shown that he is a DC, that's all he has shown, and there is nothing wrong with that.

10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Lets see for a second we traded Rexs best defensive player in Revis let Landry and Bell walk,released Pouha,Scott,Thomas .So basically thats 7 new starters on defense this year and with zero cap space to really fill holes with solid players he still managed to have a num 13 defense and top 3 at stopping run. But yea your right hes overrated.Between Wilk and Pace alone thats 19 sacks.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

How long did it take Marvin Lewis to build the Bengals roster?Hes been there for ever went thru some shitty offenses before building the team he has.You think Marvin Lewis is a better coach then Rex? I dont ,but I see our team being just like the Bengals if we stick with Rex

12. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

You just said it...Marvin Lewis built the Bengals roster. All I here on here is bame for the GM. Very few think Rex has much input on personnel decisions or draft choises.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

except that this year's D is probably the best since 2010 and definitely better than a year ago.

14. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

That NFL table is great. I think it shows one fault of the defense that stands out. Its inability this year to create turnovers. Yes our offense creates too many short fields and no chance to breath, but the D hasnt been able to create its own opportunities. Its not a dig, as I think they have been pretty good considering.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Ok... this much I can give you:

1. Rex's plan of offensive building has failed. Clearly.

2. That said, I would also tell you to look at how Bengals became what they are. They were struck by [Gulp!] damn luck. Just like Patriots were. In Bengals' case, their luck was a bit less than what the Pats got [which is like the Jackpot in 600M lottery] but you can't deny that.

They had Carson Palmer, with Housh and Chad Johnson in their respective prime. Bungles STILL choked. They then shipped Carson Palmer away, and then were struck by ANOTHER luck, finding Dalton. Granted, both are not the world beaters that the likes of Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning are, but they are individually about 10000000000x better than Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith COMBINED.

3. I don't know if it's Rex's idea to draft a fucking project on nearly every 2nd round pick. If it is indeed his call, I'd suggest that Jets let Idzik handle the personnel matter, based upon Ryan's input. Better yet, Jets should let Mornhinweg handle the offense.

4. And Geno is not the franchise, if I didn't tell you that yet. Ryan still does well enough. If I didn't tell you yet, Marvin Lewis never suffered anything with half semblance of the travesty of QB play that is Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. His QBs all completed 60+ % in the entire duration of his coaching except maybe twice [2008/2011 - but were very close to 60%, at 58% and 57% respectively] and his QBs performed at least 1:1 TD/INT ratio at worst. [In total, it's closer to 2:1]

5. So Marvin Lewis is the man, and Ryan is an overrated blowhard? Ok. I'll take that.

16. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Considering our offense accounts for 30+ turnovers the defense would need to create the same amount just to tie the turnover differential, let that sink in for a bit. People love to bring up defensive rankings without giving a single thought to offensive turnovers/3 and outs/total time of possession the last 3 seasons because that's all irrelevant right?

17. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

And on the flip side many think he has way more input on personnel decisions than he does.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think the guys on this forum are smart enough to acknowledge the short comings of the offense, as you have pointed out.

The question that comes up again and again, is why? If Rex is that good of a HC he should know that the offense needs skilled players just like the defense.

Is he partly responsible for what we have on the field? If Mangini and MT were held accountable for their shortcomings, why has Rex not been fired?

You can't have it both ways, and say he is a good HC and then say he is not partly responsible for the mess we have on offense.

One of the previous posters mentioned this and I wholeheartedly agree, Rex will be our Marvin Lewis.

Rex is no longer playing with manginis players, this is the team he helped put together.

MT is gone, Idzik replaced 3 of the scouts with his own, bradway and Rex are still here.

We will see who survives the purge of the old regime.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Pettine called the D in 11 and 12 FYI

20. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I agree that he needs to be held accountable and let go after the season, I don't like the decision to fire Rex but accountability needs to be across the board. Though if he stayed I would be far from opposed to that decision as well. My post was directed at the original poster who decided to throw up defensive rankings because apparently all that matters to him are numbers.

Whether Rex stays or goes doesn't change the fact that we need an offensive overhaul from top to bottom if we want to be a competitive team. If he's part of that overhaul or not is completely irrelevant to me I just want the NY Jets to be competitive again.