The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I would take Manziel before I take Carr. Carr got bust written all over him IMO. Fales I like but I don't think he has the arm for the AFC East where he'd have to play 10 games in either the Meadowlands, Foxborough or Orchard Park.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Rumors of cocaine use. Pittsburgh was a haven for cocaine trafficking back then and the rumors made sense.

Of course the rumors were started by Don Shula so he would slide right to the Fins which he did. I saw him up at Syracuse and he was an incredible college QB.

_

3. JStokes

Yeah but what about Aikman? Elway? Peyton?

:grin:

_

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

How does Carr have bust written all over him? Because of his brother? Manziel if anything is more of a boom or bust type of QB with a higher chance of being a bust. Carr will be serviceable at the next level.

You mention Fales doesn't have the "arm" for the AFC East, but you would rather draft Manziel who arguably has the same amount of arm strength. Fales is far more accurate and is a better pure passer that reads defenses and has great ball placement.

He is an excellent fit for the WCO

#7044 101GangGreen101, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  5. 101GangGreen101

If the Jets don't go QB in round 1, Fales would be an excellent QB selection at round 3. You sit him down and let him develop, while you continue to acquire weapons

6. Mitch_Dumstein

6 wins with two to play

no way the Jets were beating Carolina yesterday

6 wins with two to play

probably get to 7 next Sunday ---

way better than preseason expections of nearly everyone of 3 wins MAX

out QB situation could be MUCH worse

like 2011 or 2012 WORSE

7. JStokes

Round 3 you might be looking at Mettenberger or Murray sitting there as well. I've only seen Fales play a few times, watched the full game he had against Carr a few weeks ago and both looked like incredible throwers of the ball, serious arm talent and both looked to be incredibly in command of their offenses, their huddles and extremely decisive at the line of scrimmage.

Personally I'm an AJ McCarron fan. :up:

_

8. JStokes

Carr has a better arm than Fales IMHO. Both extremely accurate.

_

9. legler82

Sorry it's just my opinion. I've seen Carr play and that's what I came away with. To tell you the truth I actually liked his brother more coming out as he played in a more pro-style offense. Also, my biggest apprehension with Carr is where he would be drafted. Many project him as a 1st round prospect. I personally would not be able to pull the trigger on him in the first round. Lucky for you I'm not Idzik.

With regards to Manziel, I would take Manziel over Carr if I had to pick between the 2 in the first round but given a choice to pick neither I would choose the latter. I agree with everything you said about Fales. However, what Manziel lacks in arm strength he makes up for in his escapability, agility, speed, elusiveness...etc. Fales does not bring those other dimensions to the table. You could run the WCO with Manziel but you don't have to with Fales I think you do.

My two favorite QB prospects in this draft are Stephen Morris and Casey Pashall because of their potential value (likely mid to late rounds), all weather arms and schematic versatility (they have the feet to play in any system).

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

it is worse than it has been in a long time but that doesn't mean Geno can't improve.

we need WEAPONS around the QB, if we draft a 1st rounder what is he going to do Greg Salas and David Nelson as his main weapons?

11. legler82

I checked the Jets drafted in the bottom of the first round in 83 not top half. Based on my stated philosophy, I wouldn't have passed on Marino. At the bottom of the first you are looking for guys that drop, like Aaron Rodgers for example. Plus, one of my favorite prospects this year is Casey Pashall so a little powder wouldn't scare me:)

12. 101GangGreen101

Carr has an amazing arm, he has much more potential then Fales. Fales is more accurate though. I'm a big fan of a QB with accuracy, Brady doesn't have the strongest arm in the league yet his accuracy and ball-placement makes Brady who he is today. Oh yeah, dude is intelligent as they come. I think arm strength is one of the more overrated aspects in a QB's game. That's why I like Fales, accuracy and ball placement. Anticipation.

Mettenberger does intrigue me as well - even though again arm strength is overrated - his cannot be overlooked, he has shown a lot of growth over the past year and he's a tough guy. McCarron, I think is a product of his environment. Doesn't make a lot of mistakes but I don't see much upside in his game. Maybe I am wrong about him.

Not knocking on your opinion, I respect it. Fales also has good pocket presence, he can move around the pocket and make plays. Sure he doesn't have the escapability, but that shit can get you injured sometimes.

Not a fan of a project QB like Morris. Far too inconsistent for my tastes.

At the end of the day, the Jets need to do their diligence in finding a QB in this draft. Early or late, they need to draft one.

13. 101GangGreen101

I'm no expert, but I have been watching Fales and Carr play for 2 seasons now, I would really like one of those guys in Green next season - that's all I'm saying

14. legler82

I mostly agree about arm strength being overrated. However, I think in certain divisions like the AFC east it has to be something you consider when evaluating your QBs. BTW Brady has worked A TON on improving his arm strength since coming into the league.

I need some mobility in my QB. Guys like Brady and Manning are slowly becoming dinosaurs like the every down back.

I agree.

Hey, If I'm Arizona, JAX or Houston, I love Fales.

I like Morris because of the tools (i.e., footwork, arm talent, mechanics...etc.) he brings to the table. I think he is the kind of guy that can be coached up. Without going into great detail, I think a lot of his "inconsistencies" can be attributable to UM's O, his ankle and supporting cast. Note Glennon was inconsistent too. Some QB's game are just better suited for the NFL game than college.

While I agree with you, I'm not so sure Idzik does. We'll see.

15. legler82

I'd take Fales as he'll likely bottom out as a solid #2 worst case.

16. JStokes

Idk, the guy has perfrect mechanics, extremely accurate, reads defenses, high football IQ, an incredible leader, has enough movement to avoid the rush, tough as nails and his arm IMHO is better than he gets credit for. I look at him as Chad Pennington with a better arm. A 10 year starter.

Or 2 :grin:

_

17. a1032bc

a1032bc New Member

Last time I checked Eli has thrown 4 more picks than Geno.... while taking up 21 million of the Giant's cap.... and Geno doesn't have Nicks or Cruz to throw to. I really would hate to waste one of our top 4 picks on a QB again next year... instead let's use at least 3 of those picks on the O side of the ball and see how good Geno can be.

18. legler82

Somewhere Kellen Clemens is saying where were you when I needed you back in 07.

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

actually he's nothing like either of those players. He Is more like Fran Tarkenton

20. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

First 4 rounds all offense, after that best player on the board. Let Geno keep the keys to
    the car one more year. Plus with the cap room we have fill those needs in the FA.