The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I don't see how he has better decision making and is still completed under 50% of his passes. This tells me he is either just throwing the ball away too much, is way off target, or doesn't go through his progression to find the right person to throw the ball to.

he still has issues throwing a screen, the sideline route and slant don't exist in this offense, there are no timing plays and when he does try to throw a timing play he is intercepted because he can't read/see the defense.

14 games - 2 have been interception free. Can't have a QB that gives away multiple possessions each week and leads the league in 3 and outs.

2. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

10 td, 25 turnovers says it all.
    aaron murry 3rd round.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Do we have a list of rookie qbs who started for the jets in the last 30 years?

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

A long list of primary starters as rookies in Jets history:

Joe Namath 1965: 164-340, 2220 yds, 18 TDs, 15 INTs, 3-5-1 record(interestingly this was one of Joe's only 2 seasons w/ more TDs than INTs)

Mark Sanchez 2009: 196-364, 2444 yds, 12 TDs, 20 INTs, 8-7 record

Geno so far: 210-380, 2642 yds, 10 TDs, 21 INTs, 6-8 record

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Still don't understand why this thread devolves into a Geno v Sanchez thread.

The idea isn't to be better than Sanchez, some here will assert he's the worst QB in the history of the league so the "Geno just broke Sanchez's rookie record..." nonsense is silly. Sanchez only played in 15 games and threw less passes so one would think he'd have fewer yards, fewer completions, etc. One would also think he'd have fewer INTs. So Geno has MORE yards but more INTs. Pick-sixes off the charts. What exactly are we commending either of them for?

The idea is to find a franchise QB, not to find a QB who may be better (or maybe not) than Sanchez.

3 months ago folks were speculating how cool it would be for Geno to break 4000 yards. Now 3000 looks like the number. 188 yard a game.

Funny how the Geno tracking stats thread wasn't as much fun to update starting about 6-7 weeks ago.

I thought he played a decent game yesterday, a bounceback as it were from the past several weeks but geez guys.

_

6. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Since Sanchez played with a far better cast surrounding him, not relevant at all. Sanchez had all his security blankets and a great OL. The real question is how would Sanchez have fared this year if was a rookie? I 'd venture to say he'd suck entirely. He does not have even half of Geno's talent.

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

One note KJ with some scientific analysis right there.

Throwing into double and triple coverage, staring down receivers has nothing to do with the talent around him or the lack thereof.

But congrats to you, Geno is "better" than Sanchez. You win the internetz.

Our team still needs to find a franchise QB.

_

8. Kentucky Jet

and add in the fact that his OL sucks and he seldom gets to practice with his TE and receivers. Then add in that he was the most unprepared rookie QB to start this year and the fact he has done as well as he has is incredible. imagine him with a good cast around him and experience.

#6968 Kentucky Jet, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

mark had a better surrounding cast and he was also much better than geno too. mark was ready to play day 1, geno was not.

10. 85inthehall

Come one -- that is crazy. Geno is not ready to be in this situation at all...he should have been groomed all camp to be the backup and learn for 2014 when the team would have upgraded weapons o the roster and he would have gotten a legit shot to win the starting job.

His receivers were Cotchery, Edwards (traded for during the season), Stuckey, and Keller. Who was the true #1 ? he had nice talent but this wasn't like Andre Johnson and Julio Jones lining up on the outside. he was able to come up big when he had to, had the ability to rise to the moment. he also had 7 interception free games...his 20 interceptions are bunches - 15 in 4 games -- 5 in the other 11.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I notice that while Eli went on up to 25 int's, he did that throwing the ball for 105 more attempts than Smith. And of course many of Eli's int's were off tipped balls, which are really not the fault of the Qb. None of Smith's ints were tipped, I believe.

12. Kentucky Jet

Stokes are you aware that most young QBs with a strong arm manage to do the same thing because they have too much faith in their arm strength? Favre did it all the time even when he got experience. How did that turn out? But heck I knew all along that Geno was better then Sanchez after the first time I saw him throw a deep pass and it did not wobble or wind up in the arms of a DE. Too bad you are so biased that you could not see it. By the way did you have inside info on the routes our weak receivers were supposed to run that resulted in INTS by Geno over the course of this season? I did notice that our current crop of receivers NEVER fight for a ball to protect from being intercepted like Braylon & Keller did for Sanchez. Just calling it to your attention knowing how you like to be fair when evaluating QBs. Last but not least, your franchise QB stared down receivers in his 4th year and he had a so/so arm. I always wanted to ask you this question: are you even a Jets fan or is it just your attraction to Sanchez that keeps you here talking Jets football?

Default ESPN Insider -
    Geno Smith, embattled rookie quarterback for the New York Jets, has a league-high 20 interceptions through 13 games this season. He is keeping decent company. Ben Roethlisberger, Matthew Stafford, Eli Manning and Jay Cutler also threw 20-plus picks to this point in a season in their careers. Stafford actually had a lower passer rating and similarly dismal Total QBR score back in his 2009 rookie season, a reminder that first-year players tend to struggle, particularly when paired with vastly undermanned rosters.

Of course, some young quarterbacks never seem to recover from harrowing experiences suffered early in their careers. The fact that Stafford improved after struggling early assures nothing for Smith. The key for the Jets is to figure out how to improve their team in general and, specifically, their quarterback situation. Is Smith the long-term answer in New York? ESPN.com NFL scout Matt Williamson and NFL Insider columnist Mike Sando diagnose the Jets' problems and offer solutions.

#6972 Kentucky Jet, Dec 16, 2013
  13. Kentucky Jet

did you also happen to notice that ELI's receivers, after they get separation, will fight for the ball to protect it from being picked? I happened to notice that our receivers, in addition to not getting separation , fail to fight to get the ball or knock it out of a CBs hands.

#6973 Kentucky Jet, Dec 16, 2013
  14. 85inthehall

Our receivers are usually no where near the ball being intercepted

15. Kentucky Jet

do you watch the games? I think not.

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Sanchez not having not even half of Geno's talent is debatable to say the least. And even if it that were true, it's not a given that Sanchez as a rookie would not have fared as well as Geno. Rookie Sanchez would have had 3 major advantages over the "more talented" Geno: footwork, play action fake and experience in the WCO. Those 3 advantages would have allowed MM the freedom to utilize more of the playbook. As of now we rarely run pass plays from under center. Timing passes predicated on a specific routes tied with 3-7 step drops w/ or w/o play action fakes are staples of the WCO. Those are fundamental plays in the offense we do not run because of Geno's deficiencies in footwork, play action and overall lack of experience in the WC system. I would gladly sacrifice a couple read option plays from the QB in exchange for the availability of those plays.

17. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

While true it's kind of hard to fight for it when the ball was either thrown well over their head, behind them or right into the chest of a DB.

Look, I don't think anyone is saying Geno worked with a great receiving core, especially compared to Sanchez in his rookie season, but if you are trying to pin Geno's glaring issues solely on his receiving group you are grasping at straws at best. Would he have better numbers with better receivers? Probably. But if he's still throwing it 5 yards out of bounds on a sideline through, over throwing or throwing it behind his target, staring down his target which allows for the DB to jump his route for the INT or even just when he throws it in a fashion that prevents further yards after catch (i.e. receiver has to leap to catch it despite being completely wide open or doesn't throw it in front of them to allow them to catch it on the run) those mistakes are still being made.

The receivers own the receivers mistakes (i.e. dropped balls, running wrong routes, not fighting for the ball, etc.) which don't all make it onto the stat sheet. The QB owns his own mistakes, most of which make it into the stat sheet (although how bad an incompletion or a pick was doesn't get noted in stats).

Bottom line is Geno makes a lot of mistakes and, personally, I'm not sure how much of those are "rookie mistakes" and how much are just Geno's ability. Either he clears those up as being rookie mistakes or he's got to go.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Eli's WRs need to fight harder.

19. 85inthehall

for 32 years -- Geno is awful.
    http://www.buffalobills.com/video/v...rception/5c440c40-9d4d-4ef4-b46a-0a16e95b2f81

this is what he has done all year.. directly to defenders in stride. His interceptions are not fight for the ball type throws. Amazing he has so many turnovers and not one has been a tipped or deflected ball. All clean catches by defenders.

20. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Geno sucks. Plain and simple.