The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

you guys thinking he's "shown something" and that we should build around him need to get your heads out of your asses. he hasn't shown shit except that he's a terrible qb at the NFL level.

He is very inaccurate. Every sideline throw sails out of bounds. Short screen passes are wildly overthrown. He stares guys down and can't lead them into a throw because he cannot read defenses. One play today he couldn't even hit a receiver who was standing still. Basically it feels like a small miracle whenever he completes a pass. These are all things that are 100% on him regardless of his supporting cast or the strength of opponent.

Geno is very very raw for the NFL. He's the Stephen hill of qb's. He may develop into a serviceable backup and overwhelming odds are that that's his ceiling. We need to bring in a competent backup and draft another qb next year, I don't care who the vet is or whether its in round one two or three, we just can't start next season with this guy piloting the ship.

2. UWSfan

UWSfan New Member

I think they bring in a borderline starter. My guess is Matt Schaub, who only one year ago won a division title. I don't think they want to spend a first rounder on a QB, it holds them back from drafting positions of need. As long as Geno shows progress, and he definitely did today, I think they go with him and a Schaub like QB.

As far as today, let's remember that the Jets D didn't get Geno a turnover or one short field the entire day

3. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

I do not want to see geno under center next year.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

5. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Matt Schaub? I'm tired of pick 6's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Late is anything after round 1 for a QB. Those guys need to impress to start and Geno has yet to truly impress anyone. Flashes but nothing consistent and way too many issues in way too many areas to be seen as a legit NFL starter. I don't see all of his issues being fixed playing catch and watching film in the off season.

7. 85inthehall

If you want to bring in a borderline starter -- you either go with heavily damaged goods (Schaub) or a career backup that might have started in the past. The best available option in those two categories is Sanchez.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Right, because paying Mark Sanchez millions of dollars to throw a pick-6 is superior to paying a damaged goods vet a lot less to come in and maybe throw that pick-6.

You now how tired most people are of watching Sanchez screw up?

I recognize that you personally like him and would prefer that he was the QB next year.

9. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I have little to no faith in Geno, even less than I had in Sanchez. I don't really want either of them at this point. They should cut Sanchez and draft or sign a QB that hopefully outplays Geno for the starting spot in camp. If Geno makes improvements and wins the spot that's good, if not then he falls to backup and hopefully is better with a clipboard in his hands than a football.

10. 85inthehall

I see a young guy with a ton of fire that wants to prove that he can deliver as the starter in this offense. He earned the starting job this year and the ability to find what was developing in 2011 and destroyed in 2012. You give Sanchez weapons why couldn't he succeed?

Any why millions? his dead money will be there one way or the other. Split that dead money up between two years and see what kind of deal you can work out. if the complain for geno is no weapons that was the same issue in 2012 with a horrible OC and a ton of injuries.

Sanchez has always been a team first guy, no drama from him in the locker room, involved, shows fire. I prefer Sanchez over some 35 year old career backup.

11. deerow84

Why couldn't he succeed? Because he is terrible. End of story.

12. 85inthehall

His numbers are no worse than Eli Manning over the same time span. He has the ability to come up big in big moments, play clutch, can run the 2 minutes offense -- i don't look at2012 because that team was garbage top to bottom.

2009-2011 he improved -- he showed growth and that took a hit with the decisions made around the team in 2012.

Say what you will but he threw 26 TDs in 2011 with 17INTs throwing to Holmes and Burress (who was useless outside the red zone unable to get separation). Put some weapons on the offense, with their running backs, and new offensive system. I have no issue letting him battle Geno and a draft pick next season.

13. deerow84

He is also now a full year without playing coming off a shoulder injury.

I think he has got to go. Maybe if we strike out on NFL ready QBs worth drafting and free agents then he can compete with Geno but I think he will be cut before it ever gets to that point.

I just don't see how he can go from being mediocre at the best of times to coming off surgery after a terrible year and somehow be above average let alone good. I just don't see it.

14. 85inthehall

I see that 2011 season and say hey if we have a QB that can go 26TD/17INT we can win 10 games. If his shoulder checks out and he is throwing the ball well I see no real downside. You give Geno a chance to beat out the guy he couldn't beat out in 2013. You aren't bringing in a washed up backup to give the appearance of challenging to start just to give Geno some fake confidence. If Geno outplays Sanchez and beats him out he will gain confidence knows he has developed as a starter and can improve on 2013 . If he fails to beat him out the club knows he will never be the guy.

Sanchez plays 1 season on a cheap deal and some skill players get a year to develop.

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

It's time to move on from Sanchez. I can tolerate rookie mistakes from a Geno. But a 5th year vet QB not so much. Sanchez needs to go somewhere with an established vet starting QB and be the backup there. Sit for a year or two and learn.

16. deerow84

Honestly I think they cut Sanchez before camp anyway but I guess we'll see what happens. If they don't and Sanchez wins the job then that's fine, play him. We'll probably be sub .500 again and then hopefully we can just move on entirely and start fresh with a new QB.

The other thing to factor in is whether or not Rex is still around. If Rex is around then Sanchez might stay, if someone new is coming in then it is far less likely they stick with Sanchez they will probably want to bring in their own guy.

17. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Geno was horrible yesterday, missing wide open receivers all day, of course the gratuitous pick 6 to destroy any chances of winning that game.

If the Jets go into next season committed to Geno I'm not sure I can watch, he has shown absolutely nothing this season to pencil him as even a third string backup. Maybe I keep him on the team to compete for the 3rd string job.

18. 85inthehall

I think Ryan is sticking around because the front office is still going to be tied to Geno and no coach wants to come into that right now. They will cut Sanchez for cap reasons - depending on how they want that money spread around - 1 year or two - depends on when. They draft skill and say ok let's see if geno can beat out the guy that beat him last year. In 2015 they will go balls to the wall to find a franchise QB. Maybe they get lucky and draft a guy in the 3rd round that surprises.

19. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

He was selected mid 2nd round, he's Kellen Clemens, the Jets are not tied to Geno, they owe him nothing next year. He wasn't 1st pick in the draft where the Jets have to give him years to develop. He's a terrible QB, no way he's coming in as starter next year, if he does the Jets are clueless.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I thought Geno played very well yesterday outside of that one stretch where he had guys on that 3rd down before the blocked punt and the pick 6. He is finally starting to look like an NFL QB. He faced a big time D and played pretty well overall. I am very pleased w/ how the O played yesterday.