The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

What has Hill done? There surely has to better QB's than him.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Geno could improve. Basically we need a better option besides Simms.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's proven to be a reliable back-up QB that can come in and be productive if he needs to start. I'm not all that interested in Jay Cutler. Matt Schaub would be an interesting prospect. A vet will push Geno along with another drafted QB. Wouldn't mind us having a veteran QB / Geno Smith / rookie QB (drafted 3rd round or later). We address the offense with our first 2 picks in the draft.

We had a golden opportunity to rebuild the offense last draft, and have a new QB come in next upcoming season. Instead we wasted picks on Geno Smith / Brian Winters and Oday Aboushi.

Still don't like Millner, but it appears he is progressing more as of late.

4. 101GangGreen101

Geno could improve or he could get worse. It's a crap-shoot at this stage.

5. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I don't think SMith will improve even with weapons. It's not like he is making good reads, making good throws, improving his bad habits...having more weapons won't help the fact that he can only complete passes to wide open receivers, can't make quick decisions, lousy pocket presence, bad mechanics..I still think the best option is to repeat the 2013 QB battle with better weapons. Gives Smith a legit chance to win the battle and allows Sanchez a chance to showcase he deserves to start.

Smith doesn't have IT and I don't know if you can teach IT.

6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Again this isn't the minor leagues. You're supposed to be trying to win games not develop players including Qbs. So did the Jets go with the Qb who really gave them their best chance to win. And please don't bring up Mark Sanchez. Mark has had his opportunity. Over 60 starts and we saw the results. No more chances for Mark even if he plays for free. The Jets should have signed a healthy good veteran Qb and I hope they do next season, too. No more try outs during the regular season. Play someone who knows what he's doing.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Geno definitely could improve; in fact, I'm pretty sure he will. The problem is that there is A LOT to improve on. Can he improve on all those items is the question?

8. The 1985er

Exactly that's why they need to bring in a competent QB in case Geno doesn't improve.

9. The 1985er

I'm sure he will. I think he'll make steady improvement.

10. 101GangGreen101

I agree with you 100%. There are certain things you can control as a quarterback despite not having the weapons available on the outside. Geno has not displayed that ability at all this season (the ones you mentioned in your post). Geno was always known for holding onto the football too long going back to college.

The only thing I really think he improved on is his ability to not fumble the football. I don't want to hate on Geno, but it was a mistake for the Jets to draft him - he's at best a project QB, and project QBs should not be starting from day one, especially on an offense with no weapons. Imagine having a Keenan Allen, something to look forward to in the future along with Kerley.

Now regarding your bolded part, I don't want to get into too much specifics because it will cause a butthurt outrage for some fans on this board, but this should have been the year we saw what Mark had with a true OC and ended it right then and there if he failed. He fails, we have a high draft pick and maybe we could of grabbed a Mike Evans.

11. 101GangGreen101

We don't have much of a choice at this juncture. Can't throw Geno away now

12. 85inthehall

You can't bring in a legit starter -- you bring in a guy that has been unable to start his entire career or was a starter and lost it because he wasn't good enough. is that really a QB competition or just a QB push/safety net?

Sanchez in 2011 was showing some really good things...in 2012 it was a waste of a season. Sanchez easily won the QB battle in 2013. I don't think bringing him back hurts one bit with upgraded weapons. if he plays this season with our weapons we are going to get the 6 seed and might even be challenging for the East title right now.

Smith has what now 25 turnovers (5 pick 6's) -- the team has what 27 turnovers -- Geno is directly responsible for 25 of them! Not too mention the Jets are on of the worst offenses with 3 and outs.

They don't need an elite QB they just need a QB that understands how to play in NY and wants to play for this team.

13. legler82

Steady improvement requires patience, which 2nd round draft choices are usually not allotted.

14. 85inthehall

Never -- If you want to be a starter from round 2 on you need to excel in your first chance starting.

If Wilson flopped in Seattle he wouldn't be playing this season with an elite defense on the other side of the ball. You don't develop those late round QBs they need to come in and impress.

15. 101GangGreen101

I said it before the season, the scenario was exactly the same as Alex Smith / Colin Kaepernick.

Let Mark "Alex Smith" Sanchez take the bumps and bruises while you get play-makers on offense. You got a QB friendly OC and QB Coach

16. 85inthehall

Look at it this way -- Sanchez wins the battle with new weapons but Smith is showing some signs...Sanchez stumbles mid way through the season and you let Geno take a run with new weapons and some time learning on the sideline. If Sanchez really impresses all season you have a decision to make at the end of the year but you aren't locked into anything and still have plenty of cap room.

17. legler82

If we already have the "Alex Smith" type player in Sanchez, do we have our Kaepernick?

18. 85inthehall

I think that would have to be a QB drafted that impresses and beats out Geno for #2.

19. The 1985er

He's shown enough IMO to warrant that patience. Let MM and Lee work with Geno in the offseason. Add some weapons so he can build some chemistry with those players and see what happens.

20. Tom

Tom Member

Nobody considers Geno a "late-round quarterback"