The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"Ok Geno, now that our skill position roster is shot, get in there!"

:)

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

to get a little experience OR if we were struggling he could have come back last week or 2 weeks ago as we started getting healthier. it just made no sense to push through a rookie that wasn't ready.

3. Mitch_Dumstein

the good news for the Jets is that Suck is no longer their QB

the good news for nyjunk is that at least one other poster at TGG remains hopelessly and forever in love with Suck

4. nyjunc

the bad news is that you are still here

5. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

haha, yeah

6. Mitch_Dumstein

so, let me understand, junk

Geno Smith in 2013 who "wasn't ready" has already won 6 games with three more still remaining to be played

but

Mark Suck who was in his fourth season as a starter, thus obviously clearly ready, managed to ONLY win 5 games in 2012 and with 26 turnovers

7. nyjunc

we have more talent and better coaching this year, we would have at least 2 more wins w/ Mark.

8. Mitch_Dumstein

I give up

you are a hopeless broken record

ignored

9. nyjunc

your loss, not mine.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

omg :rofl:

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If the coaching staff felt Geno wasn't ready they would've relayed that fact to Idzik and Sanchez would've been named the starter and there would have been no competition. Keep in mind that David Lee said in rookie camp that Geno wasn't ready.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mark Sanchez would have had to have a blazing, focused camp to be the Jets starter in 2013. The competition wasn't a sham but it was stacked against Sanchez which was appropriate given the history. The Jets had no more time to waste on him screwing things up, so in order for him to be the QB for the Jets he was going to have to be much better than he'd ever been before.

To their credit they gave him the ball first and let him decide the matter, which he did very quickly.

13. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I'm still not sold on Geno, but he plays much better when Kerley plays, which makes you think; is it truly the WRs that are holding him back? Would another receiver have caught the TD pass Tone dropped? Would others get separation faster?

Plus the QB draft class coming up has some stars. Mariota is staying in school, Bridgewater might, Manziel thinks he's ready. I'd be okay with any of these guys, or Carr, and I'd support them if they were drafted. Do we bolster our team skill level and pray Teddy, Mariota and Manziel declare next year in case Geno doesn't produce?

I'm quite torn.

14. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Should draft as much offense as possible and let Geno/FA QB build with them. Worse case scenario, the QB next year is not the QB of the future and can hopefully draft one of the top 3 the following years with a few weapons at our disposal. As much as people may hate to admit, this team is at least 2 years away from competing for the division. There is just too many holes to recover from in such a short time. Even with the salary cap being pretty friendly this year.

15. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

personally I'd rather not get any QB with the first 3 picks, regardless of how geno finishes.

theres this sinking feeling in my gut that we go out and get another surefire superstar product only for them to struggle nearly as much as Smith in their rookie year because no matter how good a player is in college theres gonna be growing pain.

I've mentioned before that I'd hate for the jets to be redundant and have to go through another rookie QB struggling next year. Smith for all his ups and downs has a full year to build off of in EVERY regard. Let him be the rookie that shares reps with an able veteran, let him make a stand with better WR's one of which should come from a first round abundant with them.(and oh yes should Geno fail at least the next guy has something to lean on like most effective young Quaterbacks have)

this draft isn't all that special, there are good QB's but there will be in 2015 too, hell some of this years best are due for entry in that draft as it turns out. I feel as though we sometimes forget that this won't be the teams only opportunity to score on a prospect, and even the one we currently have hasn't shown his ceiling.

I will always reject the notion that a rookie shows everything they have in their first year despite many others apparent assertions to the contrary, I'd rather give Geno another chance with better support and a viable experienced alternative should he faultier on the wings than attain another project with their own issues to work out.

keep in mind thats only one year, another season like this and I won't feel bad at all if the jets move on. for now, I just scratch my head and wonder "why bother?"

16. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

What is Sanchez's future with the Jets do you think? Retain him, eat his contract, shop him around the NFL? Geno's seems more up in there every day.

17. The 1985er

I'd work with Geno in the offseason. Add some playmakers through FA and the draft. Bring in a competent QB to compete and or backup up Smith and go from there.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's got a $2M bonus due in March that is probably going to decide the matter. if you're Woody Johnson why do you give him another $2M that you don't have to at this point? That's the price of a stable veteran QB to bring in for competition next year and probably wind up as the backup.

19. The 1985er

Cut him loose. That ship has sailed, it's time to move on.

20. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see what happens to him now that we need a veteran QB.