Time to trade or sign a QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Endlessly Counting, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

The Jets have not had great luck in drafting a QB

Two successes since Namath
    (Pennington & O'Brien)
    one half-success (Todd)

Not a great track record

Do you trust our ability to pick the right one, even in a good class?

Plus, a Rex Ryan team is not a good place to develop a young QB

Jay Cutler is a UFA after this season...if not franchised, we need to get him
    otherwise, a trade for an established QB has to be done

2. jco2007

jco2007 Active Member

Kellen Clemens is outplaying Geno and that's with Schotty as his OC. Lol. Too funny.

3. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

I think we need to go big and trade for a QB, a vet who is competent and can run an offense. We don't need much, we just need a QB who doesn't turn the ball over 5 times a game and whose play is so bad he makes it nearly impossible to win, or the coordinators have to win in spite of him.

4. tubby

tubby Active Member

I think we need some weapons.

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I said this in another thread. But I feel that from now on, we should go after veterans. We have no luck with drafting QB's at all.

6. dr.velociraptor

I have to agree, our QB drafting is atrocious, I wanted to desperately go after Rivers while he was having a down year last year, got assaulted for it. With Rivers this is a 10 win team easy. I also wanted to go after Alex Smith, with our 2 first picks we could've landed him, we just would've been without Milliner (no big loss he's terrible).

7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

In the off-season, sure, give some vets a look. Right now though, you ride it out with Geno or Simms.

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Recent trend points out you win a SB with a QB you drafted more often than not .

Admittedly that's biased though, because if you have a semi decent to great QB, why would you let them go. If you have a semi decent to great QB, you have the hardest the spot filled and can build around them to a better team and aren't wasting picks or money on them. But the point recently, still stands.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think free agency is not a bad way to go so we can use our draft to fix other holes.

The reason most teams win with QBs they have drafted is that free agents are someone else's second choice. In other words there is a reason they became available. Gordon Gecko would call them dogs with fleas.

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Good point if someone like Matt Moore or even a Matt Schuab is available I'd roll the dice. Not saying they're great or the answer. But with those guys we'd compete.

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

And after Cutler is franchised, which is extremely likely , then what? Who is this established QB that is just sitting out there that will lead this team to the SB? I'm on the edge of my seat.

The huge majority of franchise QBs are drafted and the huge majority of those are early draft picks. Those franchise QBs that were free agents typically came off a serious injury - Manning, Brees .

Some of you think QBs are a commodity that you just go and get, like something you buy in a store.

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm not concerned about next year I'm concerned about this year. But you can't win with these kind of Qb stats-under 10 receptions, 100 passing yards, 2 or more picks and a Qbr under 30. So let's try to turn things around this year because Geno does not give us our best chance to win. I personally think Garrard does but if they are still high on Matt maybe the chip does fall off the block and he can give us better play out of the Qb position. I would suit up all 3 guys next Sunday and have a quick hook if Simms or Geno is the starter.

13. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

no, we draft a QB in every single draft until we find our franchise QB

14. Petey

Petey Active Member

Teams are always up for trading starting caliber QB's! They grow on trees.

15. dr.velociraptor

There have been a lot of vet QBs available via free agency or trade, the biggest obviously Drew Brees and Jay Cutler.

Last year there were a ton of QBs much much better than Geno Smith available. I don't mind the Geno Smith move, 2nd round, maybe we catch lightning in a bottle and he takes off. It didn't work so get someone who can manage and offense and not force the team to win in spite of him.

16. displacedfan

Yeah the Jets just can't give that FA QB of the future money if that makes sense? They have to realize the QB is a stop gap for half a season or 3 years maybe.

Yeah see above, it can't be towards future QB money, but stopgap money.

17. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I don't want Cutler. if I had to pick a QB in this league to grab it would be Mallett or Cousins. Otherwise, we draft one.

18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Matt Schaub is getting run out of Houston for making Sanchez-like game changing turnovers and this is on a team that has weapons that a Jets fan can only dream about - Johnson, Hopkins, Foster-Tate, plus a top defense.

The Jets have competed for the past 15 seasons, but have always come up short. I want to do more than compete, Continued mediocrity at QB is not the answer. The Jets need to draft and develop a QB.

19. displacedfan

But you also need a "veteran" to fall back on if you don't end up with a QB in the draft or the QB isn't ready. What we saw with Sancehz and now Geno, there is no backup to go to. If you go to the backup you are going to someone you want to develop too, why ruin two QBs in one season?

20. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

We need to stay away from Schaub and Cutler.