"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Hasty and Mezzavo,

Nice posts here, and obviously I agree with you. Saves me the trouble of saying the same thing.

I will add, however, that I am having a great deal of difficulty understanding the argument in favor of leaving Smith in there. I get the Simms being unproven part, but I don't see how that overrides the fact that Smith has been unacceptably bad. Add in that Smith might benefit from sitting on the bench, which I think is in fact the case, and the Simms being unproven part is just not persuasive enough.

Of course I also get that Idzik picked Smith in the second round, and while your second round pick is not a huge investment, I would imagine Idzik in his first year has a concern that he look good making that pick. How much that is playing into the decision to keep playing him is hard to say, but it likely is a factor. but that consideration is not persuasive to me in any objective sense, and neither do I think it should be to posters here.

In any event right now is looks like the team is not doing what I think it obvious they should be doing, and that is to give an entire week's practice to Simms to prepare with the first team. So I have no choice but to wait and see what happens. Maybe Smith has a great game, and the Jets improve their position regarding the playoffs. I hope so.

But I doubt he will.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Haven't seen enough pick 6's yet. That's what.

3. Mr. Green Pants

Several of us have stated our cases, Blockhead. You're just not interested in any point of view that doesn't fall in line with yours. I understand where the Simms supporters are coming from, Geno's been dreadful. I just feel, when you look at the big picture, there are reasons to stick with him, at least for a little bit longer.

4. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call people that are saying Simms should start as supporters. We have no idea what Simms will bring to the table but we have seen over the course of the season that geno doesn't have enough yet.

5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

EXACTLY!!!!!!

I'm a supporter of the NY Jets...and in that vein, I've seen enough of Geno right now. He has an entire season's worth of turnovers and we have 6 games to go! Time to see what we have in Simms considering the alternatives.

If I could predict what Simms would do then...well...I'd go get me a Powerball ticket. BUT, I do know football and I've seen what I "think" he will do. Maybe I'm right...maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he goes in there and tosses 4 picks and fumbles 2 times. Sounds to me like we just replaced Geno Smith with....Geno Smith! But MAYBE...he tosses a couple of TD's...MAYBE he shows us something. Who knows. I'm simply saying we do NOT have enough invested in Smith to warrant a 2nd round QB love fest when we have options that for Pete's Sake couldn't do any worse!

6. mezzavo

Oh, and on top of that...a decent QB that stretches the pocket and incites the fear that we actually MIGHT be able to pass the ball will absolutely benefit Ivory and Powell considerably...THEN we can get to Ground and Pound.

7. Big Blocker

First of all the bolded part is in general completely untrue and in fact unfair. There would be no point in coming here for me if I did not encounter opinions that made me either consider new ways of looking at things or to reconsider my own. I don't need to feel good about my own opinions by seeing them shared by others, and only seeing those that agree with me. I have even changed my opinions from time to time, and on Smith in particular I was very much on the fence until recently, having listened to those who were both pro and con on him.

And my handle here is Big Blocker, not Blockhead, but you do get huge points for originality there since no one ever before called me that.

"I just feel...."

The word just when used in that context, with that meaning, is a red flag in any discussion. It basically means the person using it has failed to identify a sound basis, or foundation as laywers say, for the assertion that follows. And this could not be more clear than when someone, as yourself, couples the word just with feel. I just feel...

Well, thanks for sharing your feelings, but ftr you have not identified any persuasive reasons for leaving Smith in there at this point.

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How do the Simms v. Smith camps feel about recognizing that Baltimore is really a do or die situation for the season and a much shorter leash is in order this week?

9. mezzavo

Ummmm I do! This is a HUGE game!! The Ravens are one of the teams we must absolutely beat to ensure we maintain a stranglehold on that 6th seed. They, Cleveland and at least one Miami game to lock it down.

My leash doesn't get any longer than the first half...unless Geno is in turnover mania before then...that or we are down 14...that happens then Geno comes out and Simms goes in.

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

F that. Geno time is over. They'd start Simms if they were smart and doing what's best for the team. I realize that's sadly not gonna happen. Mark my words, our best chance at making the playoffs this year is with Simms aka a QB that's not a turnover machine.

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

What do you do if Simms proves to be just as turnover-proned?

12. 85inthehall

I think Geno is on a very short leash. I think they give him the 1st half unless he implodes but if he is failing once again to move the offense he is out at halftime turnovers overs or not.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's like making a choice between the devil you don't know and the other devil you don't know.

14. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Rex will be out there playing QB before you see him name Simms the starter.

Ravens could beat us by 100, and Geno will be starting in the Meadowlands next week vs the Dolphins.

15. 85inthehall

No way -- Geno would be destroyed at home next week if he shits the bed this week and isn't pulled. If he is pulled in garbage time for the 3rd time in 6 games you have to start Simms. Rex isn't loyal to Geno and he isn't going to let him destroy the season.

16. 74

74 Well-Known Member

pretty much what Ralebird said. at worst Simms it's a lateral move because Geno is rock bottom, it doesn't get worse than what he's been doing out there. even though there's a lot of unknown with Simms there's really no risk to making this change.

He's a great coach but his QB choices are what's gonna get him canned.

17. Jay Bizniss

I don't think its Rex's decision to be honest with you. Idzik is calling those shots.

18. 85inthehall

I get he doesn't want to have 2 of his first 3 draft picks to fail in their first season, but with Geno you might ruin the guy completely. I think Rex is man enough to say it isn't working and my defense deserves more support from the offense.

19. Jay Bizniss

I am a Geno fan 100% and want him to do well.. I agree with you though, at this point he would benefit more by taking a seat and learning.. The game is to fast for him and at this point, is costing us a possible playoff appearance...

We talk about Simms as replacing Geno but the one thing I haven't heard yet, is Garrard replacing him.. Thats why we brought the guy in right?

20. Big Blocker

There have been several odd goings on this year, but the Garrard situation is in the running there. I guess it has not gotten more attention because we have not seen him on the field.

First they sign him, but after the absence he has had since last playing, including missing last season after being named Miami's starter.

Well, they must have figured out he's all better, right?

Wrong. He proceeds to retire, saying he's too beat up to play.

So he misses camp and pre-season, and then he unretires and comes back to the Jets.

And then no one sees him, and he has yet to suit up despite Sanchez being out and the Jets having only two relative unknowns at qb. And don't forget Brady Quinn and the other guy, either.

Add it up, and it doesn't add up.

Best I can do, other than to say out of all of that there's not a single thing that should lead anyone to think Garrard is not fragile.