"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

So you think the Jets skill position talent is good is what you're saying? Name the Jets starting WR's. How many teams in the league have better starting WR's? Even you can figure this one out.

2. vxvenom

vxvenom Active Member

There are many things I like about Rex as a coach, but I think you hit the nail on the head as to one of his biggest flaws. He's a player's coach and I'm guessing part of the reason he has that reputation is because he won't "turn his back" on certain players: e.g., Sanchez, Geno, Bart Scott, presumably Ed Reed, Kyle Wilson, Dee Milliner. Problem is that when you aren't performing at the level you are expected to, you SHOULD be benched/cut or whatever. Good teams and coaches aren't waiting around until all the fuel is out of the tank before making changes (Belichick, Harbaugh 1 replacing Alex Smith with Kaepernick, Harbaugh 2 firing Cam Cameron as offensive coordinator right before the playoffs during their super bowl run, etc.). Rex waited too long to bench Sanchez and will wait too long to bench Geno. Geno isn't some 3rd year vet that has proven himself. There should be a QB competition every week until someone wins it. And if there is no QB on the roster that can do it, you look to FA. And if there is no FA, you better draft one with an early pick. Somehow, I have a feeling if Rex is around, we will go D-line/OLB again in Round 1.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Thomas Jones, Leon and Greene. That was a better backfield. That's only 4 years ago. Where did I blame the receivers for Geno sucking?? Do you even read my post or just interpret it as you like. You act as if the Jets have top 10skill position players on their offense. I even said that Geno sucked and isn't the long term answer. However no QB currently on the Jets roster is the long term answer. Geno has gotten us to 5-5 and in the playoffs as of today. Survive and advance is all that matters and with Geno we're in position to get to the dance. If Geno sucks next game (as I said in my post), then give Simms a chance for a game. Acting as if the Jets offensive skill positions are fine can only be done by someone who does not watch the games or understand what is going on.

4. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Your first paragraph...let me tell you something...I would give Tebows sister a shot if she was on the roster. I would give anyone that has a chance to save us using another high draft pick on a qb....anyone.

I will agree with you about Manuel and the shit secondary of the Jets..totally.

Simms has less than a 1 percent chance? Answer the question then...what percentage do you give Smith of being a quality qb in the NFL.

I mean, to give Simms a 1% chance, you study the shit out of this stuff. Again, what are the chance you give Smith?

Why 1% for Simms? What did you see in preseason that gives him a 1 in 100 chance? Im guessing your Smith number will MUCH higher then right? So give me that number and then defend it. Why did you give him that number.

5. jaywayne12

Great post BB...this whats around him nonsense..I mean,it comes in to play but not the turnovers this guy is making. No way. The incredible thing is he is being given such a vanilla playbook to operate lately and still...the turnovers.

I think what many defenders are missing with the Simms thing is that while many of us saw something...his demeanor in the pocket and quick release, here is the main huge point:

Many of AGREE that is a bit of a long shot. Yes, the numbers of where Simms came from do not add up.

How many qbs in preseason have done very very well. How many players have done very very well. Clowney is a perfect example. While Im sure there were a few that called him the second coming, many of us saw it for what its worth...a wide open receiver catching bombs.

Simms? Christ, I have been watching football for thirty something years...what do you want me to do defenders of GENO? Apologize? Ok...Im sorry there is something about this kid Simms that makes me just want to see a bit more.

Im very very very sorry I feel that way. I cant name too many times that has happened...but Im sorry.

6. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I look at sutuations last year that resulted in turnovers...how many were thrown where you saw Sanchez signal to his receiver that he was supposed to cut in front of a defender, or break earlier or come back on an out...last year the receivers were 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th options due to injuries.

The skill spots might not be elite but they are good enough and they know the offense. Smith's interceptions are not a matter of bad pass routes, miscommunication, tipped balls, or receivers not fighting -- they are mainly a result of just bad throws -- slow release, staring down receivers, not reading a defense, under throws, and panic.

If he was making plays and you could say well on that play the receiver was supposed to cut here or run this and failed to. He isn't getting stuck throwing to a spot trusting his receivers to be where they are supposed to be ...he doesn't seem to have that skillset yet. He needs to really see and stare down his receiver before patting the ball and making a throw. Sitting and watching would just be good for the guy.

7. jaywayne12

Exactly.

Thats the problem with so many college qbs. You watch the college game and these receivers that are wide open...I mean..wide open.

I cant remember the game last year but he had a game early in the season where he threw for a zillion yards...over 80 percent completion...I watched that game and couldnt come away being impressed. It was so far from and NFL type game. Guys were wide open 40 yards down field.

Again, thats not a knock on Geno. The same point could be made with a qb from USC back in their glory days. It is what it is. Its so tough to take many college qbs and equate it to the NFL game.

Do some become very solid NFL qbs? Im sure some do...you just have to take certain college stats and dump them. I would say, back to your point, less than 30 percent of college passes are real timing passes. Its just not needed.

8. 85inthehall

Yeah college is hard - especially QBs that don't play a pro-style offense. You play a shutgun spread offense that relies on quick screens and better talent it's hard to equate.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

First of all as I have said elsewhere comparisions to Sanchez are pointless. He is not the qb and is not coming back.

The focus of my prior post was on your assertion that THE REASON Smith has been ineffective is the lack of talent around him. And your assertion that the players at skill positions are terrible. You did not say in that post that you blamed Smith at all for this situation.

I said for years on the backfield rotation, and you have to go back to Thomas Jones. That was years ago, no?

Let's look at the facts rather than semantics. The Jet rushing attack right now is ranked 8th in total yardage and 11th in ypc. That to you indicates no talent at the RB position????

You are quite simply incorrect.

And I did not say the Jets have top ten talent at all skill positions. You have misrepresented my post, perhaps did not read it.

But this ABSOLUTE NONSENSE you asserted that the Jets have NO talent at the skill positions is not borne out by the facts.

Of more relevance is the consideration that Smith is turning the ball over not due to tipped passes. He steps into his throws and throws into double and triple coverage. He loses track of the safety. He goes with his first read on a short pass in the flat to Holmes and loses track of the LB in the way, and it's a pick six. Surely you don't blame Holmes for that.

I can go on and on.

Learn the game.

10. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

Simms will be the starter in two weeks after the inevitable 3(minimum) turnover performance by Geno vs Baltimore .....

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

geez could u imagine that turn of events - and even crazier if simms puts up decent numbers.....

watch simms light it up enough to get other teams interested and the jets have a big decision to make.

geez who feels confident we would make the right call. ugh.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

JW,

Thanks, and I feel the same about Simms. At the very least I think Smith has given us less reason to think he will succeed than Simms. Why? Because Simms seems to have pocket presence, and has not yet shown himself to be a turnover machine.

Does that mean that Simms is even more likely than not to succeed? Concededly not. But Smith is regressing, and Simms has upside.

At the least I would like to know whether Simms could be an adequate backup going forward. If he craps the bed the Jets will probably be looking for TWO Qb's next off season, not just one.

13. 85inthehall

Guys always surprise in this league - Chrebet, Colston, Cruz, Warner...sometimes you just roll the dice.

14. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

if geno keeps this up another couple of weeks then i say the jets should let simms get a shot. its hard to win past such backbreaking turnovers, and the way it is looking geno might play the jets out of playoff contention fairly soon.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Geno is playing so poorly at this point that the Jets may have to make a change. There's no incentive to play a young player who is not getting anything out of the time on the field. Better to let the guy sit and reflect some and come back fresh and hopefully playing better and with more perspective.

A week after that happens this thread will be full of "the Jets have no WR's, the offensive line is having a subpar year", etc.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Simms will also be a turnover machine. If the guy can take a snap behind the center drop back, step up and throw the ball into the area code of Jets receivers on a regular basis it would be an upgrade.

Watching Smith work out of the shotgun formation right now is brutal. I actually like the way Smith throws the ball. But he looks like crap out of the shotgun.

#1096 Biggs, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  17. NewYorkEveryThing

I feel the same way. I posted somewhat the same thing the other day. keep trying out QB's until you hit. Geno had last week talent to work with.I don't care what anyone says. He had 2 good TE's back winslow and cumberland . 4 WR's Hill,Salas( who played great in limited time) ,Nelson( who really wanted to beat his old team and is a good blocker/slot guy) and Holmes back. 2 really good fresh RB's in powell and Ivory who did not get any yards cause geno refused to throw the ball except short crappy passes. The bills stopped the run by filling 9 guys in the box. 9 guys and no deep passes?

18. 85inthehall

I agree there is enough on the field on offense to put points on the board. These aren't 5th string guys that are playing because everyone is injured. This is your basic opening day roster minus Kerley.

I don't understand why Rex came out on Sunday and declared Smith the starter -- i just don't get it.

19. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

NO...No...no...and a further NO!

The Jets OWN the 6th seed of the playoffs right now and with AVERAGE QB play can maintain that and make the post season. This is the NFL...translation...NOT FOR LONG!!! The GM and Owner worry about next year this year. The Head Coach and players worry about this year and right now ONLY!!! If Rex Ryan does not bench Geno Smith in the Baltimore game pending how well he plays then he would be a fool and had learned nothing from the Sanchez era. If Rex Ryan doesn't recognize that by Half time then he has no one to blame but himself at this point.

Personally, as myself and others have pointed out, I would start Simms. A poster above aptly put it...he shows "upside" where as Geno is actually getting worse as the season goes on.

This talk of talent is getting tiresome. Yes, you will not get an argument from me that our receivers are average at best. You DO have to get the ball to them with the possibility of making a play, though. As others have pointed out, as well, Geno is not throwing tip ball int's or fantastic defensive play int's...many of these balls a miles away from a viable receiver AND looks as if the defensive player was the intended target.

You WILL get an argument about the running game, though. We are the 8th ranked running offense...and that is WITH defenses stacking the line. Ivory and Powell (running possessed this year) are above average in their tandem and, amazingly enough, Cribbs has been a nice added wrinkle to the equation.

You WILL get an argument about the offensive line...do NOT fall over with faint! If you do the research most "experts" have the Jets having a STELLAR offensive line. It is Geno who is making the line look bad. Almost everyone is saying it...and I too will say it. Geno's lack of readability, recognition and reaction time puts the O-line in a bad spot. You can only block so many for so long.

Our TE's are average to above average. Neither Cumberland nor Winslow will be confused with Kyle Brady when it comes to blocking but Cumberland is serviceable. BOTH, though, are above average when it comes to catching and running with the ball.

With our pro-bowl worthy run stopping game and some adjustments in our pass defense (make no mistake that Rex will fix this), we should be able to get into those playoffs with an AVERAGE to just above AVERAGE offense! Not like we are playing a bunch of passing juggernauts either over the next 6 games.

Now, having laid all that out there...an AVERAGE QB ensures we make it to the playoffs! To be quite honest if we get AVERAGE QB play we beat Baltimore, Oakland AND Cleveland. As well, there is no reason we can't sweep the Dolphins or at least split. That is 9-10 wins right there...HELL, depending upon the odd/even week we can beat Carolina if you think about it. Now I'm not relying on it...but stranger crap has happened this year. With AVERAGE QB play we win 9 - 10 games. With HALF the turnovers we have been averaging we STILL hit 9 wins...or should.

No, we do not have millions tied into Geno Smith...and, in my opinion, I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe is the "franchise" right now. What I do know is I've seen juuuuuust enough of Simms to be intrigued and I wouldn't wait to "flush" a potential playoff season down the shitter just because... As I said above, the HC and players play for right now and this year. Rex Ryan makes the playoffs and he's here another 5 years. Hell...personally, I think he's extended as of right now anyway. What he has done with what was supposed to be a "first pick in the draft" team is nothing short of fantastic. And THAT is why you give Simms a shot now. If we lose the Baltimore game we are still in it to win it...we can recover and you know what you might have in Simms. If you start Geno and still lose the Baltimore game then you are still with the unknown and one game less to make the playoffs.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep on both counts.

The all shotgun all the time approach is relatively new. He was in the shotgun more than under center at the start of the season but not every snap like he is now.

I think the Jets are trying to make him as comfortable as possible and they're also trying to make the read-option a valid secondary offense. I don't think either approach is working though.

One of the things about working out of the shotgun is that you rarely turn your back to the defense. Under center you turn your back on hand offs and play fakes and other situations when you are doing a deeper drop.

The Jets may have decided that Geno is a disaster when he has to turn his back on the defense even momentarily. That would explain part of the reasoning behind putting him in the shotgun every down.