"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he had a bunch of big plays through the air vs. NE

we abandoned it.

if they played the run the way the saints ran it and we never threw against them how did we gash NO in the run game all day?

of course we'd be better w/ Mark. Unfortunately we screwed ourselves.

2. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Patience tends to run thin when you haven't won a Super Bowl, let alone participated in one, in 44 years...

3. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Did you see the run we got on the saints? The LB on their team completely whiffed on the backside containment Calvin Pace style, after the game Rob Ryan even said everyone in the building knew the Jets were running every play the Saints just have a horrible run D.

I'm at the point where I want to see Simms start, I'm sick of these turnovers and he can't be any worst at this point. Sanchez was way better in his rookie season and its not even close, on top of that Sanchez only had 1 year starting in College while Geno had 3.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Overreaction Monday is running rampant all over this board.

As absolutely dreadful as Smith was yesterday, you can't build a professional sports team with knee jerk responses.
    They need to find out what they have or don't have in him. There have certainly been some good aspects to his game as well this season. That tends to get lost after a bad loss though.

Hope Smith improves, and we have a hard fought QB competition next camp to decide the 2014 starter (possibly with another draftee along with Simms if things do not improve).. Have to have patience, and let it play out. As difficult as that is for most of us fans, its the right approach..

5. NewYorkEveryThing

Geno was a early 2nd round pick like chad henne. He is not a franchise QB and too inconsistent .We need to try every QB we draft or sign until we find the right guy. I am sick of running the ball on 3rd and 4 . We have a good squad and rex will wind up going to a team with a elite QB. Take that team to a super bowl. Win and we will be rebuilding for the 100th time. Why did we not get some insurance in a decent backup that is looking to win now. What are we with geno as our QB? Obviously not a team looking to win now. No rookie will ever win a SB his first season. Why make the playoffs? Why watch devastating losses ? So. Our team has to suffer waiting on a QB that fell out the first round ?
    Is that fair to our vets ? It is almost as if there was no chance to do anything this season and develop a stud QB. Geno is no stud. If Luck or even a vet like Rivers had our D and running game ? Oh man we would be at the top of our conference like KC is.

6. OverloadBlitz

It's not a knee jerk reaction, Geno has shown that he can seriously implode when things get a little bad for him. It went from only being down 10-0 before the half to just turnover after turnover just like the NE game. He has 20 turnovers already and he's not even being asked to throw 30-35 times a game, that's just unacceptable.

7. nyjunc

this current team or regime hasn't waited 44 years so it isn't fair to judge them on it.

8. NewYorkEveryThing

Why can't we give this kid a shot? Why,why,why,why? Geno is not even a first rounder. Idzik wants this cause he wants all his draft picks starting.

9. OverloadBlitz

It's only Monday, Rex said Geno is the starter but things can change by Friday.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Why does benching Smith for playing Shitty mean we are giving up on him?

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Rex, please start Simms or keep Smith in and be fired. I am good with either choice.

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Mark taught him that.

13. BookEndTackles 72&79

Get the heck out of here with that garbage. The fans ran nobody out of town. Tanny was deservedly fired as the talent level and direction of the organization went astray and left the cap situation in a precarious state. Geno was a SECOND round pick who fell to them in the draft who was good value at that spot. Sanchez had a subpar camp and did not distance himself to clearly win the job.

14. nyjunc

a huge reason we changed Gms was b/c of whiny fans and pressure from them and the media.

sanchez distanced himself, no one that watched the two thought Geno was even close and that was in practice where I could look good.

The fans wanted Mark gone, they got their wish and they deserve geno playing the way he has been playing.

15. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Believe it or not, at this point, Simms might actually be the more polished Qb between the two.

I'm okay with Simms getting the nod this week. I doubt it'll happen, but I think a change needs to be made at the position, after this past 5-week stretch.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

By fans he means the owner. It wouldn't shock me if Woody inserts Simms in if Geno has another stinker.

17. BookEndTackles 72&79

If Sanchez won the competition than he was not run out of town by "whiny" fans. You can't have it both ways.

Tanny was dumped because of his poor drafts, trading away or wasting draft picks (Scotty McKnight Sanchez' buddy, giving Rex a pick every year) and bad cap management with the botched Revis deal, bidding against himself for Holmes and the Sanchez extension which backfired on him. The organization needed a change of direct

18. nyjunc

the GM had him playing in the 4th qtr of a preseason game, the GM wanted HIS guy to start and he has all the power.

his poor drafts that led us w/in a game of 2 SBs.

he did waste picks w/ trades but he managed the cap well. There was a plan in palce to get under and you saw how easily we got under w/ Idzik.

Idzik has done a decent job so far but forcing Smith on Rex was not one, if he didn't do that we'd be much better off.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I don't know if that was Idzik. Based on what I read after the debacle that was the Snoopy Bowl, the only person that knew Mark was going to play in that 4th quarter was Rex. I think Rex was trying to have HIS guy, Sanchez, come in and save the day and look like the clear cut winner. I think he wanted to really rub it in the face of Idzik and the fans that Sanchez gave us the best chance to win and it back fired on him.

20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

That bolded statement right there carried water and washed in the first quarter up to the first half of the season. it doesn't wash now. We are officially a lead contender in the playoff hunt and now you field the best possible team to get into the playoffs and win now. You do that if you want to maintain your locker room and expect to resign Vets and bring in FA's. The minute you "flush" a potential playoff season you alienate a whole lot of people inside and outside your building. That is FACT.

The only way your bolded statement works now is if we were a Jacksonville/Tampa team with no shot in holy hell of making the playoffs. If we had been as BAD as people thought we were going to be then I'm with you. Right now, I want to field a team that is competitive with the greatest advantage to win NOW. I'm sorry, but I've watched decades of football and played quite a bit as well. IF you ever thought of squeezing a career out of Geno the time to sit him is now. He is just "yay" shy of being shellshocked for his career and then you are stuck with a David Carr clone. On top of that Simms simply LOOKS more ready to play! I'm not laying prophecy here nor predicting the future...I'm simply stating what my eyes see. And how much WORSE could it be than 20 turnovers in 10 games??? Seriously....