"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

In his two drives he had a TD and got inside the 10....that alone is enough to say he maybe he gives this offense a spark because you know Geno sure as hell isn't and right now he might be bringing the team down. At some point players lose faith in a player's ability to lead them. Do you wait until it is a lost cause or do you make a change and say we needed to shake things up and let Geno sit back and watch a bit.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

At some point the jets should realize the risk/reward scenario here.......

IMO - the only risk to getting simms more PT (not necessarily starting but giving geno a shorter leash) is simms playing better than geno and then u have a full fledged controversy on ur hands....but is that a tru risk - hey if it gets u an extra W or 2. than whats the issue?

i do not buy the notion that u cannot go back to smith if simms shits the bed. so what - this should be a fluid situation this year and let them battle it out. smith and simms should not be coddled in here.

at this point it seems the jets are deathly afraid of that scenario and come hell or high water, smith is their man.

now there are many interpretations of that but smith is their second round pick and its his job to lose which is not necessarily simms job to grab.

i am not saying simms is the next marino or leaf but the QB position is the weakest link and idzik wants competition so its time to follow ur mantra, regardless of who is the draft pick and who is the practice squad guy.

#922 jilozzo, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

his 2 drives also came late I the game w/ the game over and Buffalo not playing regular defense.

4. 85inthehall

A Qb controversy is a big deal is Smith was the 9th pick in the draft...but he wasn't. He was the 3rd pick the Jets made on the first day. He didn't win the job coming out of camp. He was the 3rd best QB on the roster after the pre-season. Simms might be horrible or h might be great or he might be somewhere in the middle, but if he is average that is better than Smith is playing right now by a long shot.

5. nyjunc

I think if they felt Simms was ready to handle a start he'd get that chance. If we see another game like yesterday in Baltimore maybe they decide to give him a shot in 2 weeks?

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Jets should have a QB controversy. The Jets haven't had a franchise QB since Pennington went down with a shoulder injury. The QB controversy goes away when you have a franchise QB. It doesn't go away because the coaches trot out the "best available option" and it's not that good.

7. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I've been lurking on here a lot, but the only issue I see with starting Simms is that playing at M&T bank stadium against a desperate team and defense is asking for trouble for your first start. However, maybe he handles it. Who knows?

I'll say that if Geno can't handle Ralph Wilson, he can't handle Baltimore

8. 85inthehall

So what? That wasn't an NFL defense on the field? That defense didn't just force Geno into his 4th turnover minutes before? That defense decided to stop playing because Simms came in the game? They lost their edge suddenly? The defense wasn't trying to hit smith and make a highlight film play?

9. nyjunc

we had a QB, we played him in the 4th qtr of a preseason game and he got hurt.

10. nyjunc

the game was over, there may have been NFL players on the field but they weren't running NFL schemes and they weren't there mentally. They knew the game was over, you cannot take anything away from coming in during garbage time and leading one good drive.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Bills didn't blitz Simms like they did Geno Smith. It's obvious they fell back into prevent defense, and it's no reason to get excited about him. Credit to him for finding the open guys, but any professional QB could've done the same - Geno Smith included in that situation.

i'm not talking Simms down, just saying that he remains a mystery and that TD drive late doesn't prove anything about how he could handle a start.

12. 85inthehall

Every QB gets a shot someplace. If Simms came in and sucked against the defense you say well this guy isn't ready, but he came in and played well, moved the offense, completed passes.

Smith hasn't shown anything since Atlanta yet people still insist he is the man. He has shown what he can do and at the moment it is awful. What damage would Simms do right now? He played solid in pre season (better than Smith and Sanchez), he has played well in his brief moment in the regular season, he has talent...why not give the guy a shot. if he doesn't turn the ball over 4 times inside his own 30 he is better than smith.

13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for this moment since the pre-season. All I'm going to say, at this juncture, is after MNF tonight I'm going to sit down and re-watch the game...I am going to track defensive calls/schemes of the Bills for the entire 4th qtr. and we are going to see whether or not the Bills realized it was the backup QB and let the foot off the gas.

I know for a fact that they blitzed Simms twice but I will re-watch to double verify. Anyone who is riding Geno's jock is going to be spewing what NYJunc is yammering on about. People who give a crap about Jets, as a team, are interested in who can win us some games. I'll check in after I finish the replay's. (gotta love NFL Rewind...nothing like being able to watch the coaches tape!)

The way the season has panned out we are actually in a playoff race. I wouldn't be worrying about this if we weren't...I'd say let Smith play it out and see how it goes...but as everyone knows, once in the playoffs ANYTHING can happen...so get in the dance and see how it all pans out. I say play whoever gives us the best chance. We shall see. More to follow...

#933 mezzavo, Nov 18, 2013
  14. nyjunc

what I am yammering on about? stop, you looked foolish calling for Simms in August and it still looks foolish no matter how bad geno has been. Our best chance to win came w/ the guy you guys all ran out of town.

15. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

What would be the point of starting simms? If the organization believes smith is the guy going forward you have to leave him in and hope he learns from all this awful play from this year.

If simms is to get starts then the organization is saying they don't believe in smith and want to see if simms is there future. Clearly they don't feel this way or they would have done it already.

All starting simms will do is take reps away from smith. What's the best were going to do with Eithor at qb? 8/8? Are we winning a super bowl this year with simms or smith? No

While it is disgusting to watch smith play so awful.. you have to hope he learns from this. All you can do.

The fact the jets look like there a shot they finish 8/8 is incredible as compared to how awful I thought they would be.

I don't know what everyone expected. Smith has played exactly as I thought he would and most rookies do... mostly awful and at times shows some real good sign of promise.

I don't think anyone on here truly believes were winning a super bowl even if smith stops turning the ball over 3x a game. It is what it is. This is what a rookie qb is.. not suprised at all by his poor play. The goal is reps and improvement this season.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^Who cares "what the organization is saying"? You have to play the best guy for the job. If that guy becomes Simms, then that's who they should play. Everyone always thinks that selecting a QB means you're stuck with him nomatter what happens, and that you can't shatter the guy's ego by benching him. That's false. Benching him could serve as a motivational tool going forward, and honestly, Geno looked completely lost yesterday and they could barely move the ball 20 yards at a time. Simms came in and drove us right down the field. He honestly looked way more comfortable in this offense than Geno. People are saying the Bills weren't playing normal D, but what D were they playing, then? They still had the starters in and you aren't playing prevent with a 20+ point lead.

I'm not saying we should ditch Geno and go with Matt Simms from here on out, but if he's looking better in practice, then he'll play in more than just blowouts. I'd say he's earned some additional reps with the 1s if anything.

#936 Barcs, Nov 18, 2013
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Is Garrard in game-shape yet?

18. 85inthehall

Maybe a step back from the game would be good for Smith because playing is not helping him at this point. The guy isn't a #1 pick, he isn't a $40 million bonus baby, with $30 mil in guaranteed cash. He is making $5 mill over 5 years or something. Benching Smith tells him he needs to get better the same way benching Dee (the 9th overall pick) told him you need to play better because you are hurting the team.

How come the QBs we have are always so damn sensitive and people are afraid if they are benched they may cry all the way home and be ruined as an NFL player. There are 52 other guys on the roster that deserve the best opportunity to win and is that Geno right now???

19. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

What has Geno shown that makes anyone think he's the future? The trash pile is littered with strong arm QB's with no head for the game. Geno is looking more and more like the game is too much for him. In baseball they'd send him down to AAA to get more seasoning, in football he needs to sit, he's past the point where Rex can say its growing pains. The kid is lost and needs to come out. Maybe he develops into the future starter with a full off-season but he's so far gone he's not going to make any progress the balance of the year and Rex is still fighting for his job so he needs to decide which of the backups gives him the best shot at winning.

The last thing I want to see is Rex blindly backing a bad QB like he did with Nacho. Everyone can see the kid is like a deer in headlights, especially the opposition. Unless he wants to lose this team he needs to do something now. A loss to the Ravens, while not mathematically eliminating them, allows other teams to catch or pass them in the playoff race.

4 of the 6 teams trailing the Jets face off next week so 2 will be 5-6. SD and MIA could easily lose. That makes the Ravens game HUGE for the Jets chances to make the post season. Rex can't afford to baby sit Geno any longer.

20. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Start him! After that debacle yesterday, Geno at least needs a game on the pine.