Ed Reed is a JET

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by thatisjetsfootball, Nov 14, 2013.

1. NewYorkEveryThing

Our front 4 should give him a good shot at doing some damage. I wonder if he was getting played wrong in houston?

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yup.

A player is a product of the system. He should thrive under Rex again

3. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Reed is an old vet coming off a superbowl. He went to Texas because he thought they were a contender, but once it turned out they were dog shit, like their coach, he wasn't motivated to be out there. Certainly he is no longer in his prime and has lost some physical skills, but anyone who thinks there is any downside to this signing is just deluded. Unlike Holmes, the Jets are not committed to Reed, they can cut him at any time. If he produces anything at all its a bonus. I love the signing and look forward to seeing what he can do.

4. Highbridge

Highbridge Member

If you don't think the system is as important as the player, think about Revis in Tampa.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

There is more wrong with Revis than the system in Tampa..by his own admission in fact.

6. Falco21

This is true, but Revis made a living on man coverage. Now that he is in a zone type defense, he is no longer as effective

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

That is some cold blooded shit right there. Its not like its BT's fault the Jets picked him instead of Reed. At least the guy was a solid vet for many years. Jets have done way worse.

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think he will absolutely make our secondary worse. The guy is done. Would have loved to have drafted him but now I don't think he adds a thing and he may well be a liability over what we have now.

9. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

He will be keeping Jarrett off the field which is a huge gift. This is just awesome picturing Ed Reed from 7 years ago on this defense right now. Obviously he has lost a step or two but if he can even perform as a shell of his former self this defense will be a LOT more dangerous in passing situations.

10. NewYorkEveryThing

Reed brings knowledge that should help A.Allen out . Reed knows where to go when a pass gets thrown down the middle . Reed can read a QB well still at his age. reed did help the ravens last year win the super bowl. Rex might want him to stick around and coach our secondary next year or next couple of years.

11. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

When Reed said years back that he would play for Rex in a dark alley and that he loves Rex, then years later comes to sign with us after being released I can't enough how much I respect this dude for being true to his word! I don't care if he does shit for us, he's been a non jet I've respected for so long...he could have gone to the patriots who are guaranteed to make playoffs and have Brady and Belicheck, however he decides to sign with us, a team that's not guaranteed to make playoffs, just to play for Rex...I admire this dude for staying true to his sentiments about Rex and coming here while at the same time shoving it up belichecks ass by not signing there! This is a win win for both reed and the franchise...he's playing for Rex and essentially for pennies!

12. PolygamyWinsChampionships

If he is then he won't play often for very long. But there is just no way that Ed Reed is going to be worse for this defense than Jaquan Jarrett that just isn't happening.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Teams generally get better and play better as a unit as the season moves on. The Jets have many young and moving parts in the defensive secondary. They are coming off a bye and looked like they were starting to play better against NO.

Reed is pretty long in the tooth and may well hurt a developing D that's going into a stretch run. Units work together they rarely get better when you throw another piece in unless that piece is an extraordinary athlete. Reeds days of being an extraordinary athlete is behind him.

I love Ed Reed but I think he's done. Hopefully he is here to teach not to play.

#193 Biggs, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

so the near 400 yds passing we gave up was an improvement? don't allow the dominance of the DL to confuse you. When the DL is getting after the QB the secondary LOOKS better. it's sort of like your giants in the SB runs, everyone thought they had a good secondary but the truth was the secondary was mediocre at best and was being made to look better when that DL was dominating.

Ed Reed is obviously not the Ed reed of a few years ago but this is a NO RISK signing. No big money, knows the system, can help the younger players and IF he really can't move he won't play and we can let him go w/o a cap hit. There is nothing not to like about this deal.

15. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Jarrett doesn't even know which direction to run, Ed Reed is one of the best ballhawks to ever play the game. He's not going to make some ungodly interceptions like he used to, but if the QB doesn't account for him roaming deep he'll still be a threat to bring in some desperately needed INTs. Young players gelling is bs, Jarrett sucks flat out and the veteran Landry is not good in passing situations. Allen should be a good starter for the future so as long as he keeps getting his reps there's no developmental downside. Jarrett needs to be cut next year, not developed some more.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Milner doesn't know which way to go on most of the plays. Deion Sanders wouldn't help our D either.

17. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Milliner is the 9th pick in the draft and Deion Sanders is like 50. Seriously, why the fuck are you asking to see more Jaquan Jarrett? Trying to make it easier to be bulemic or something?

18. Falco21

I'm not even gonna entertain your posts anymore after this. You have to be blind as a bat to not see the reason in this signing. The fact that you honestly think Ed Reed will make our secondary worse than it has been is mind blowing. I guess we are not watching the same games because so far, we have been torched in the secondary.

The fact that you believe your own crazy ass remarks is the even greater part. Keep posting. I'm getting a good laugh out of them LOL

19. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Good point, and here's another big reason I like this Reed signing ...

We only have 5 INT's this season, but we played 5 of those first 9 games against Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger and Ryan --- 569 Career NFL starts. Even Freeman and Dalton had 96 combined starts at the time we faced them. That's 665 combined NFL starts for 7 out of the 9 guys we faced.

In the second half we have 4 of the 7 games against Manuel, Tannehill and Pryor --- combined total of 40 NFL starts. I smell bad decisions and multiple opportunities for turnovers.

#199 truthbtold, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  20. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Ha, real cold-blooded. You make Bryan Thomas, the wifebeater, out to be some model citizen for the Jets. He was serviceable over his career, but no one wanted him and I'm glad he's gone.