Jets Playoff Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm not going off ESPN, I am going off this board and how they felt before the season started. This team no doubt is better than last year, I (as well as you) knew that from the start - but that team was 6-10, that was the litmus test THIS YEAR - that is not a playoff caliber team with playoff level talent.

The bolded part, we are one of the youngest teams in the NFL. We don't have much veteran leadership outside of Mangold and Brick. A team with major issues at QB, and you didn't think there was a chance for a rookie QB to come in here and win the job?

The next 8 games, to me I will judge Geno Smith fairly. The majority of his weapons are healthy. I agree with you that he will be judged this half of the season. Let's see what he can do.

We didn't know we had a top tier defense, the upside before the season was there but it came down to execution. Ivory was unknown to us, besides the highlight tapes. No one thought this was a solid team. When I think of a solid team, I think of 9-7, 10-6. That's a solid football team.

#521 101GangGreen101, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I know power rankings are kind of pointless but based on most current rankings, out of our remaining 7 games the only team ranked higher than us are the Panthers. The Bills, Dolphins, Ravens, Browns, and Raiders are all ranked lower, and the Ravens are the only of those teams who have impressed me at all in the last few weeks.

EDIT: The Jets also have the easiest schedule by far out of the teams vying for the 6th seed.

Titans: Colts, Raiders, @ Colts, @ Broncos, Cardinals, @ Jaguars, Texans
    Dolphins: Chargers, Panthers, @ Jets, @ Steelers, Patriots, @ Bills, Jets
    Chargers: @ Dolphins, @ Chiefs, Bengals, Giants, @ Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs
    Ravens: @ Bears, Jets, Steelers, Vikings, @ Lions, Patriots, @ Bengals
    Browns: @ Bengals, Steelers, Jaguars, @ Patriots, Bears, @ Jets, @ Steelers

#522 MaximusD163, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

According to FBO, the results from the bye week increased the Jets chances of making the playoffs by 11%:

Current record: 5-4 | Weighted DVOA: -3.3 percent
    Mean projected wins: 8.8
    Total playoff odds: 47.8 percent | Weekly change: +11.1 percent

Sorry, Jets fans. As it stands right now, the AFC looks to be a five-horse race, so the No. 6 seed amounts to a parting gift. (And because we just wrote that sentence, it's now assured that said seed will pull off an upset in the wild-card round.) To keep hope alive for an unlikely Super Bowl home game, the Jets will need to navigate a minefield that includes four games against teams trying to steal their parting gift.

Luckily for them, they get to play the Browns at home in Week 16, and the Dolphins probably will have their lockers cleaned out by the time New York travels to Miami in Week 17. Therefore, in terms of controlling their own destiny, the Jets' Week 12 matchup against the Ravens in Baltimore is likely to be their most important game of the next two months.

In the hunt

Tennessee Titans | 4-5 | Total playoff odds: 16.3 percent
    Cleveland Browns | 4-5 | Total playoff odds: 14.5 percent
    Baltimore Ravens | 4-5 | Total playoff odds: 14.0 percent
    San Diego Chargers | 4-5 | Total playoff odds: 10.7 percent
    Miami Dolphins | 4-5 | Total playoff odds: 9.1 percent
    Pittsburgh Steelers | 3-6 | Total playoff odds: 6.8 percent

Although the Ravens represent the Jets' biggest direct threat, the Titans are easily their biggest indirect threat. While New York is busy navigating its minefield, Tennessee gets to play the fourth-easiest remaining schedule in the league. That slate includes facing Oakland in Week 12 and finishing the season with games against the Texans and Jaguars. The Titans also have the benefit of facing the Colts and Cardinals at home.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...1-seeds-nfl?addata=2009_insdr_mod_nfl_xxx_xxx

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

They announced today that Jake Locker is done for the year. Was the 16.3% from before this news came out or after?

5. MaximusD163

While the Titans have the head-to-head tie breaker, and I thought of them as the most direct threat prior to Sunday, Jake Locker is now out for the year. While they do play the Cards and Colts at home, they also play the Colts and Broncos on the road. Lets assume they only lose one of those four games and win their other three against the weaker teams, that still gives the Jets a one game buffer. And who expects Fitzpatrick to drop a 6-1 finish? Certainly not I. The Ravens are a much bigger threat, as they are a game back and they do not have injury issues right now. Playing in Baltimore in two weeks will be very difficult for a few reasons, especially because if they win next week and we beat the Bills, they will have the opportunity to take over the sixth seed with a win over us putting us both at 6-5. The Jets' hardest remaining game will still come after that, as we play the Panthers. If we lose that game, the Ravens can still lose a game in the last 5 weeks and maintain the direct tiebreaker. So basically although the Panthers will likely be our most difficult game, the Ravens is our most important because it will give us a half game lead over the biggest threat to the final wildcard. What could also be dangerous for us is if the Bengals start to spin out of control after these two straight losses they've had, Baltimore could overtake them as they play once more this year, leaving the Bengals with a tie breaker over the Jets for the sixth seed.

6. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Well here's some good news for you.
    It's no mystery why the Ravens are a sub .500 team this year:

The Ravens running game is averaging 2.8 Yards per carry. DEAD LAST in the NFL. That doesn't sound like a playoff team to me.

The Jets defense is only giving up 3.1 yards per carry. BEST in the NFL. If we can limit the number of big plays in the passing game, we should go into Baltimore and shut them down.

7. IdiditMawae

IdiditMawae New Member

This. I couldn't agree more. The kid has done an excellent job for a rookie AND with the offensive players he's had to work with, or more accurately, not work with this season.

8. MaximusD163

And yet they still beat the team that spanked us 49-9. I would consider the Jets a superior team to them and have confidence going into the game, but a pick six from Geno and a big pass play to Torry Smith... well you get the idea. Any given Sunday.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I don't see the Ravens winning IN Chicago this week. No way. No how. They are not a good football team.

10. MaximusD163

Didn't Cutler get hurt again already though?

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They look just as good, if not better with McNown at the helm. If he played instead of Cutler last week they beat Detroit.

12. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

heres a handy little tool for figuring who needs to be where fore a jets playoff berth, akin to espn's playoff machine which won't open till next week I believe.

http://clinton-morell.com/n.html

gonna have to fill out most of the season yourself, but have it.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What a strange wildcard race. It really is likely to come down to whoever gets hot down the stretch because right now 6 teams are within a game of each other for the last slot.

The Jets sit in the catbirds seat because they have 4 games out of 7 against the other teams contending for the spot.

Fins have 3.

Nobody else has more than 1.

Titans have none.

Edit: put another way there are 5 games on the NFL schedule from now until the end of the season that have two of the AFC Wildcard contenders playing in them and the Jets are in 4 of them.

#533 Br4d, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yes, pretty much the definition of "controlling your destiny" in regards to a 5-4 team clawing towards the playoffs.

I wont count out Baltimore.....

The JETS need to beat Balt, Cleve, at least 1 vs MIA, and they SHOULD control their destiny.... if they at least squeeze out 1 or 2 vs the rest but :shit:

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The key to making the playoffs is simple.

Stop losing games.

16. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I still think this team is a year away. There are just too many youngsters making mistakes. Give them a year, a solid draft class, and a few free agents, then we talk real playoffs.

**EDIT** Now, at this time of year, if behooves your team to play stout run defense, and run the ball. These are two things are team really excels in, and this is the time of year that it benefits the teams that are the best at those two things to rise to the top come the playoffs. So who knows what could happen?

#536 Tony, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

double post...

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Let's see what happens against the Bills and Ravens. If the Jets find ways to win both games on the road then their chances at that wild card improve dramatically. They'd actually be the favorite at that point.

If they can't beat the Ravens and both teams come out of that game at 6-5? Well obviously the favorite at that point is the Ravens. If the Ravens are 5-6 but beat the 6-5 Jets it's probably a toss-up between them.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The jets need to figure out a way to win on the road convincingly. They will then become even more dominant at home. It all starts with Buffalo.

I for one root for Geno to get better and better week after week, control the tempo, minimize mistakes. We are a contending team against almost anyone when we do not gift the opposing team 2 TDs via interceptions or turn overs.

Plus the though of forcing the Geno haters to STFU is very satisfying, I must admit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.