AMC's The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Mr Electric, May 11, 2010.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Herschell episode was awesome

2. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

They aren't "working together". It has been established that they come together in mindless herds, which is what happened. The rats attracted them (or they were led there and then the rats served to work them up) and they are mindlessly walking forward toward what they see as a food source. And they don't need to be that strong, the combined pressure of the mob simply walking forward can add up and push over the fence fairly easily.

3. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I think that's just them catering to their audience, people like killing zombies. I wish they did that more often because the show takes itself too seriously most of the time IMO. Still enjoying it tho.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

What an amazing fantastic epic episode last night. The action was tremendous and I loved the music.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Awesome episode last night. It was definitely the best of this season so far. One thing I can't stand is how every single time someone shoots a gun, it's a headshot.

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I know they aren't working together, but it sure seems like they are. I don't think a mindless herd could tear down a reinforced fence that easily. It would seem more likely they'd go around it. I mean when they're in the forest, do they keep pushing the trees until they fall or do they go around them?

This is why I still think the governor is behind it. He's either leading them all there or doing something to attract them to the same spot. I also suspect he's behind the sickness as well.

I hear ya on that. They definitely needed more zombie action, but I hate when characters on shows defy logic when they should know better. Like the one guy driving and not even noticing the huge herd of zombies in the road until he hits one and then they're stuck in the middle of herd in their car. I know I know.. Suspension of disbelief. Too much listening to Spock.

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I thought the episode was ridiculously flawed. So the way to prevent the zombies from knocking down he fence is to reinforce it with logs. When that fails and the zombies pore in, Rick and Carl shoot them all. Why not shoot them before they knock the fence down? Are there an endless supply of zombies so that shooting them before they knocked down the fencevwas was futile? Who repaired the broken fence after the zombie massacre? That whole sequence made no sense. And Rick's decision to boot Carol was one of the more hypocritical decisions on the show . Rick makes decisions as the leader for months, some of them awful that led to death, he kills Shane,etc. Then he comes out of his shell and plays God by banishing Carol ( without consulting anyone) after all she has done and why? Because she made a decision for the greater good and played God. The show has taken a step back since the last episode of last season.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Part of it depends on who is shooting.

Rick is a cop so it makes sense that he is a good shot.

In the comic book Andrea had a talent for shooting and became the sniper for the group (on TV Maggie seems to be the sniper).

You could argue that due to his age and inexperience that Carl should be a bad shot. On the other hand, the kid is growing up in a zombie apocalypse and is well on his way to becoming a stone cold psycho.

Herschel has probably done his share or hunting and Daryl is deadly with a crossbow.

If those guys are shooting I could believe them hitting a lot of targets. If Glenn or the little blond girl is getting a head shot every time I would be like WTF.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't get why fans of the show won't admit this. It has been a pretty large drop off. Hopefully the show gets back on track with The Governor returning.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

to be fair, we all have different tastes. the writing on the show is absolutely horrid IMO, with characters and dramatization that would be considered poorly written in a comic book.

that being said, if strong characters, drama and exposition aren't your concern and you simply enjoy the concept of the show and watching the characters you enjoy in action, there is nothing to admit about the writing. it wasn't important when it was better and isn't important now that it is awful.

11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

[youtube]B3yUQFluNq0[/youtube]

#1291 joe, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  12. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Reading the comments it is funny how people either love this show (or episode) or hate it. I think this was a great episode....best of the season. I also take issue with the complaints about the writing. I think the writing is good and works well for the type of show it is. It isn't set up to be be Breaking Bad. They have to find a way to balance character development with action....which is difficult to do. I think the season has been strong (better than last season) and this was its best episode so far.

13. JetBlue

not meant to be Breaking Bad is a rationalization for why it is bad, it doesn't excuse why it is bad. plenty of shows juggle action and characters with better writing.

you like it, that is fine. but don't try to claim that the task of writing characters and action is so difficult that it just can't be done better than what they have accomplished. besides, the action is so far and between that it is hardly a hindrance to writing good dialogue or is why they are creating the type of contrived and silly drama that could have come from a Transformers cartoon in the 80's.

14. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

It's not that they are "tearing it down". They have no concept of that. They are simply walking forward, and eventually the pressure from the sheer numbers is more than the fence can handle. Also, let's not act like they are knocking over the Berlin Wall here, it's a chain link fence.

Also, it's a chain link fence designed to keep people in, not stop them from getting in from the outside. The actual fencing is secured to the posts with what amount to metal garbage bag ties. With the posts on the same side as the zombies, the pressure could pretty easily break those ties.

Totally different scenario. Zombies walk straight toward their target without regard to obstacles. If a tree is in the way, they may hit it, but since trees are relatively narrow and round, they will slip past it pretty quickly. A fence is flat and wide, which would stop them from sliding past.

I agree, except for the sickness. He doesn't have the resources or knowledge to develop and deliver biological weapons without getting sick himself. The guy is living in a tent.

15. The Dark Knight

JetBlue is right. Everyone has different tastes. I just find it odd that I enjoyed the first 3 seasons so much, yet can't get into this one, and feel it is not what it used to be, yet no one else is noticing that? It clearly is not the same. I also think it is funny that they extended Talking Dead to 1 hour this season, but there is nothing to talk about. There used to be, when the show was fun and exciting. I normally agree with DBJ on many things too, but just not feeling season 4 so far. I am happy The Governor is back though. He will spice things up.

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

The writers have done a great job...

The flu storyline does not exist in the comics and also the characters they have created are excellent

Daryl Dixon and Herschel also writers created them

17. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I'm not criticizing your opinion on the writing. I just disagree. I think the dialogue is fine in the context of the show. Again, I just think it is amusing that folks either think it is great or awful...no middle ground.

18. The Dark Knight

I am in the middle ground right now. Obviously it is one of the best shows on tv, but for it's standards, I feel this is a down season. More episodes to go though.

19. JetBlue

storyline is the idea not really the writing. when discussing the writing, that is about the execution of the ideas. the ideas are elements that will be written that are discussed at a round table by writers, agreed upon, and then sat down and written. a great idea can be executed poorly, and it is that execution that is judged as the writing, not the idea.

the flu idea is fine. the melodramatic way it is executed with zero depth, taking the most contrived and simple routes to present it, is why the writing sucks. there is no drama or suspense in the creative decisions they have made. you can see every single dramatic beat coming. it may as well be Pop Up Walking Dead the way the show telegraphs each story point.

20. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Hershel was in the comics.

_