Fins Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Axel3419, Sep 22, 2013.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Amen, not everyone is an alpha male, martin likely never dealt with adversity growing up and was probably scared. Everyone's designed differently.

2. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Crazy how this story has turned. After more and more stuff is coming out from other Fins players and ex Fins players, it just seems like they are unempathetic and lack perspective on the issue. The overwhelming majority of NFL players are the same type of masculine dominant personality that consider people like Martin to be "different" and "weird" (and in this case "wrong") just like many NFL fans. NFL players are probably some of the least knowledgeable persons when it comes to mental health issues for some reason despite the fact that they are afflicted with them via CTE... I'd like to see these players call Tony Dorsett or Junior Seau a little bitch for acting irrationally emotional.

As for the players speaking out against Martin, they need to realize that Martin clearly hesitated to bring this to light (hence his not abruptly leaving the team at an earlier point) and was probably strongly influenced by his family and agent who, upon discovering the abuse, rightfully encouraged him to seek help and tell the truth. These NFL players are probably in the same mindset as GM Jeff Ireland, thinking the best way to resolve the situation was a physical conflict. Is that what the NFL teaches in it's anti-bullying campaign?

This is a misconception, of course everyone deals with adversity. Martin was clearly able to utilize negative coping strategies and internalize the negative emotion for a long time. Plus it probably helped knowing that at every football level he knew he wouldn't feel trapped with harassing teammates, whereas in the NFL he very likely perceived the Dolphins as the "end of the road", it being a professional work environment to which he had worked to reach all along. It wasn't Martin's fault that he didn't foresee that pressure in the NFL was infinitely worse than even in college, and that he was going to be forced to spend much more time with his teammates (the same teammates, at that; it's not as though a senior Incognito would be restricted to one year of torture against a freshman Martin had they been in college); the factors are all there.

If I were Martin, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable approaching the Dolphins coaches or front office about Incognito given that, despite knowing about all of his ridiculous behavior, they still deemed him worthy of being a Team Captain.

#422 VanderbiltJets, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Why is he a little bitch? Because he was verbally abused and didn't take it as other guys would have?

People like yourself are the exact people I'm pointing at. You don't take into consideration that he is a human being who may not deal with certain things the same way you do. That's the problem with this world. If a man doesn't come across as the alpha male, then he's a pussy.

Amazes me how guys are even saying he shouldn't be in the NFL then. I wasnt aware that the NFL was centered around bullying. So a guy who is a stud and has the potential to be great must turn his dream down because he doesn't have an alpha male makeup? If that is true, that's very sad.

4. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopNAI8Pefg[/YOUTUBE]

Not everyone is meant for everything, ie military.

I was on Martin's side until I have heard all the things that came out today and supposedly more things that will be coming out. According to all the players they have interviewed, they said Incognito was Martin's closest friend/colleague in the team. No one stayed hidden. Everyone said this on mic/camera and they were extremely surprised by Martin's action. Hartline said, Martin played that voicemail in the locker room and was cracking up.

And about the Vegas trip, it was said that they planned this for months and everything was already booked and then all of a sudden Martin backed out. All of the starting OL chipped in money according to their pay scale. Martin could have said it from the beginning that he doesn't want to go.

I'm sure Incognito is not the nicest guy in the world, but Martin is just looking like a little bitch with more and more stories coming out.

5. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

And apparently what pushed Martin to his limit is the prank they played on him in the lunch room. Anyone know what the prank was?

When he came to sit at the lunch table, EVERYONE from the table got up and moved to a different table. Supposedly they all then laughed about it and ALSO supposedly they have played this prank other players and coaches. Guys in general needs to have thicker skin than that.

Incognito texted him after Martin left, and Martin responded saying it wasn't anything to do with him (Incognito) and that he just needed some time to himself and chill out. Basically the "it's not you, it's me" speech.

Miami always drafts bitch linemen, idk why.

[​IMG]

6. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

This is a very touchy subject for me to comment on. But I feel as though that I'd like to contribute to it...

I took a course my final semester in college called the sociology of gender. Within the class we discussed the meaning of the terms "masculinity" as well as "femininity". At the beginning of the discussions, the professor asked us to define what those terms meant to us and what adjectives can be used to describe someone who is masculine as a male and someone who is feminine as a female.

Of course, naturally, we came up with things such as toughness correlating to masculinity as well as others such as physical strength, breadwinner in family dynamic, and compassion, softness, caring, cooking, etc. to be equated with femininity

THE PROBLEM that American society has today is that it still views masculinity and femininity in their hegemonic terms. Meaning, people still view masculinity/femininity by a "1950's" definition, if you will. Meaning that still today people belief that men should be stoic, emotionally-dead, tough guys who NEVER cry, and never express how they feel, because doing so would be every reason to indicate that you are less of, or an inferior man, if a man at all.

This view of masculinity and femininity being strictly defined by its hegemonic definition in todays cultural society is pure ignorance in it's finest form.

What I took from that course, one of the best courses I've ever taken, was that there is not a singular definition of what it is to be masculine or feminine. But that there are MULTIPLE FORMS OF MASCULINITY AND FEMININITY. THERE ARE MASCULINITIES AND FEMININITIES. Notice the plural use of the word.

The emotions that men and women feel ARE NOT EXCLUSIVE TO GENDER. They are not male-emotions, or female emotions, but HUMAN EMOTIONS. Meaning WE ALL FEEL THEM.

So, to call Martin a "pussy" or less of a man for feeling the way he did about the entire situation is pure ignorance and asshole-like. This isn't 1950 anymore. Maybe your grandfathers have a reason and excuse to feel that way towards Martin, but anyone born post Vietnam has no right to do so in my opinion.

Perception is not reality. The biggest bro in the gym who can bench the most weight can be the most insecure emotional person around. I've seen this first hand from my experience working in professional baseball. And a guy who is 150lb soaking wet can have bigger balls than some NFL linebackers.

Go ahead and disagree with with me if you want and continue to live with your ignorance and tough-guy mentality, see how far that will get you. But I stand behind Martin and guys like Bart Scott who had the courage to speak up about this issue. I cannot fault Martin at all in this sort of situation for having the courage to do what he did. Fuck Incognito, and on a broader scale, fuck the Dolphins.

7. ciscoholgate

ciscoholgate Member

Very insightful post. Except the fuck the Dolphins ha ha.

8. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Haha yeah sorry about that. That wasn't needed or necessary, but I'm passionate about these sorts of issues and I'm a die-hard Jets fan all the way so I hope you can understand the context which that was said in. No harm intended.

9. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

But seriously fuck the dolphins

10. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

:rofl:

To me, this is open and shut because it's Incognito. The guy has been a Grade A scumbag from Day 1. He does not deserve the benefit of the doubt in anything. He doesn't deserve any more second chances. I assume the people defending him just don't do their research.

The sad part is Martin might not get another chance, but I certainly hope no one takes Incognito after this.

Reposting this: http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/th...cognito_a_few_fries_short_of_a_happy_meal.php

11. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I definetly agree,and I think there is borderline mental retardation on Incognitos part. But,i can't help to think that there is more to this on the other side too. I can see if the whole team does not like you,and they make your life a living hell,but I don't understand how an NFL lineman can take it like that. It's not like he was being physically abused. I'm not condoning Incognito,just think this may have been an out for someone who didn't want to play football anymore.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

so verbal abuse is fine as long as it isn't racial or threatening? what if someone is sensitive to insults not of a racial nature, should they have to suck it up? that is an arbitrary line to draw.

it has nothing to do with being "man" enough, it has to do with whether you are willing to take the only reasonable position -- that any and all verbal abuse should not be tolerated, or accept that verbal abuse is going to take place in this type of sports environment as a way to motivate players to perform.

that would mean QB's not yelling at receivers when they run the incorrect route, coaches not chastising players or officials for a bad call or play, receivers not carrying on like imbeciles, etc.

is that really the atmosphere anyone truly expects from pro-sports? I don't think so.

pro-sports is a highly competitive and aggressive profession, and the behavior weeds out people who don't have the attitude to participate in it. the NFL wants to pretend it is shocked by such behavior, all the while they allow players on the field to belittle each other. but why is it acceptable during the game but not during practice?

Incognito certainly was extreme, but someone more sensitive may consider simply being yelled out for running the wrong route extreme and demand that behavior isn't acceptable. the moment we start crying about verbal abuse not being acceptable, then that has to apply to all verbal abuse, and then you are advocating what I presented above.

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

This is an easy situation for me to evaluate and take a stand. Ingognito has been a complete asshole his entire football career. This is not an isolated incident or a revelation. He was kicked off the Nebraska and Oregon teams as a college player for this type of behavior. He was cut by the Rams and the Bills for being an asshole.

I don't care if you are 300 pounds and beat the crap out of people on the field for a living or if you are 140 pounds and sit behind a desk, NOBODY should have to put up with continual verbal abuse at work or school. And if the Dolphins saw that Martin was different or overly sensitive, all the more reason to stop doing it. After all, it is a TEAM sport.

And this stuff about physical confrontation by Martin as a solution and him "manning up" is just bullshit. How would that have put an end to this situation when you see the Dolphins standing up for Ingognito?

Our society has some warped definitions for what it means to be a man.

Want to learn about what it what it means to be a man and an athlete? I suggest every coach, athlete, and father to read Season of Life by Jeffrey Marx. It is about the coaching style of two high school football coaches at Gilman High School (a private sports power in the Baltimore area). One of the coaches was a former NFL player - Joe Ehrmann. I learned more from this book than any book I have ever read. They teach their players that being a man means being a good teammate - loving your teammates and showing empathy. Being a man means being a good son, brother, father, husband, and friend. It does not mean punching someone in the face. It is a tremendous story of how to turn boys into men - men who are successful productive members of society. Not dirtbags like Ingognito.

Read the book. It is great. And it will completely change your perspective on coaching, sports, and fatherhood.

I'll bet you one thing. Martin has a much much better chance of being a successful person after football than Ingognito.

14. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

bart scott hates incognito, so he might be a little biased, but he said he had never heard of anything like that happening before. just because this one cause is extreme doesnt mean that any time players get into a tizzy there is going to be a lawsuit

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I think this was an extreme situation, but the vocal argument coming out of it is that players shouldn't have to endure any sort of hardship or verbal abuse, not that this was an extreme situation.

you can't condemn Incognito for being verbally abusive and then condone any other verbal abuse just because it isn't as bad. who gets to decide what is the appropriate limit, the recipient or an outsider? and you know that there will eventually be a recipient who simply doesn't like being yelled at for dropping a pass and the same people would have to defend him that are condemning Incognito.

16. tcw722

tcw722 Member

17. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

all i know is that nobody should have to take the kind of shit incognito was giving. just because i would have retaliated doesnt mean that martin had to. this is how he chose to handle it. it doesnt excuse the extent to which incognito took his 'shenanigans.' its clear martin was intimidated and scared enough to be extorted out of money. if these allegations are true, then incognito is in some serious shit, not just with the nfl either...

this is not a normal situation and there is a huge difference between yelling at someone over an incident and the continued harassment off the field and out of the lockerroom that martin was subject to. you dont have to compare the situations because they are nothing alike.

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...leases-statement-on-jonathan-martin-situation

"Jonathan Martin's toughness is not at issue," Cornwell said in the statement. "Jonathan has started every game with the Miami Dolphins since he was drafted in 2012. At Stanford, he was the anchor for Jim Harbaugh's "smash mouth" brand of football and he protected Andrew Luck's blind side.

"The issue is Jonathan's treatment by his teammates. Jonathan endured harassment that went far beyond the traditional locker-room hazing. For the entire season-and-a-half that he was with the Dolphins, he attempted to befriend the same teammates who subjected him to the abuse with the hope that doing so would end the harassment. This is a textbook reaction of victims of bullying. Despite these efforts, the taunting continued. Beyond the well-publicized voice mail with its racial epithet, Jonathan endured a malicious physical attack on him by a teammate, and daily vulgar comments such as the quote at the bottom. These facts are not in dispute.

"Eventually, Jonathan made a difficult choice. Despite his love for football, Jonathan left the Dolphins. Jonathan looks forward to getting back to playing football. In the meantime, he will cooperate fully with the NFL investigation."

"Quote from teammate: "We are going to run train on your sister. ... She loves me. I am going to f*** her without a condom and c** in her c***."

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

This is such a fucked up situation. I'm so glad this isn't the Jets.

20. tcw722

tcw722 Member

Such a wordsmith.