The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Great day yesterday. A lot of clouds early on thru midday kept the temps down. Seabass were hungry though. Even caught several Blackfish and a few ling too but unfortunately, the blackfish had to go back. Out of season damn the luck.

Mrs. C and I bagged 17 nice Seabass. Got a nice sack of filets for our effort. The guy next to us won the pool ($250) with a really nice 5lb fish at the end of the day. I was jealous because he used the exact same rig we started with that day. :)

Well, next Friday is Gorilla Bluefish day for me. I have it off so I'll be on the Ms. Belmar and hopefully not with 200 of my closest friends and family as yesterday, all the Bluefish boats were packed.

Gonna take my custom Bluefish rod on its very first trip so I'll find out just how good it is. It was built on a 7' St. Croix Muskie blank, heavy with Fast Action. It's rated for 30-50 pound test line with Titanium guides. Pairing that up with a Quantum Cabo PT 60 bait teaser reel fitted with 30lb power pro and 30lb florocarbon shock leader. A47 Jigs and wired 5/0 hooks at the ready.

Maybe I'll finally win a pool. On these boats, the pool fish has run between 17 and 20lbs.
    That's it for now friends..

Tight lines everybody!!

#201 Cman68, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Akule fishing at Waimea Bay yesterday

[​IMG]

3. Cman68

Thanks for rubbing it in man... Geeze. We're getting swamped here with rain and high winds from what's left of TS Karen.

I'm really jealous.. Only thing missing from these pics are the coolers full of beer and the folding chairs. :)

Nice pic!

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

painted this one awhile ago
    [​IMG]

Actually i tried to fish off those rocks once (closer to the three tables side), tossing plastic jigs..... no luck though

5. Cman68

Not a bad day Seabassin yesterday. Mrs. Cman won the pool for the first time ever. I haven't see her smile that much in a long time.

[​IMG]

6. stinkyB

nice bass. good eats! one of the best......

7. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Awesome Cman! Looks like a good time was had, and no better bonding time than out on the water!

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Looks like Mrs C caught the one my little guy had to throw back. That fish grew up fast

9. Cman68

Actually Barry, she's holding the $200 money fish. It's just the camera that makes it look smaller. I had to bodyguard that fish all the way back to the dock. Wifey was all nonchalant and I'm like: "You have a possible pool winner here!"

People get kinda scandalous sometimes when you have money on the line so I was just simply protecting our interests. :up:

10. Cman68

Looks like we're approaching the end of the fishing season up here. I went last friday for Seabass and did ok. Was pretty chilly out with a constant NW wind and not a lot of sunshine. Lots of marauding bluefish and sand shark harassing us all day long.

I got perhaps one Blackfish trip planned and one last Striper/Bluefish trip before I shut it down for the winter. I got enough in the freezer to carry me thru to at least March/April.

Here's a picture of part of my last Seabass catch for 2013. It was a real nice double!

[​IMG]

Any of you warm weather guys want to continue contributing to the thread, feel free. I'll be keeping an eye out and if there's anything to this global warming theory, I just might get another trip in before Xmas!

Good luck everybody and Go Jets!

11. stinkyB

I know you're longarming them, but those look like NICE Bass :grin:

Still getting bluefish in NOV? how big? we usually start getting the smaller ones here soon.....

Was planning on taking the kayak out this morning in the backwaters for the morning Fullmoon High tide, but unexpected vehicle issue yesterday has me going to Autozone in a little while for new brake caliper :shit:
    even got an invite last night from a friend who was going to pole the flats this morning looking for tailing Reds. :mad:

12. Cman68

Stink, both of those fish were pool contenders. Some guy in the back caught the Kraken though. :)

Yeah, we still got marauding Blues menacing Seabass. Those dogfish (sand sharks) can tear up a rig too but at least you can eat the blues. The weather up here is finally starting to turn colder and the bigger Seabass are starting to move offshore before they head south for the winter. We're seeing that in the amount of short Seabass coming over the rails. On friday, my guess would have been 3% keepers. I know I caught at least 40 fish and came away with 7 keepers. Not great numbers but for mid Nov, I'll take it.

The Blues and Stripers are starting to load up on bait fish for the trip south too. You should be seeing them your way by Thanksgiving or shortly thereafter. We can't keep any Striper caught more than 3 miles offshore. Guess where the migrating Striper are...

Like I said, I'm hoping for perhaps two more trips before I shut it down for the winter. If Jay is right about that Thanksgiving Week snowstorm, I only got next weekend to get it done. I'm not real big on blackfishing. Losing rigs in the rocks for a 6 fish limit in really cold air just doesn't make sense to me.

Keep us posted Stink. I'm handing the controls over to you southern boyz until next spring.

13. stinkyB

yep, they usually show up around Thanksgiving. I usually catch a few tossing lures in Matanzas Inlet to make some smoked fish dip for the holiday.

WT is in the upper 60's, but we're supposed to get more NE winds this week, and cold temps next. Surf fishing reports are good right now though, but that'll change if the WT drops much more.

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Dam C, those are some nice sized bass. Might have wanted to skip the jets yesterday and gone fishing instead. I think our team did.

15. Cman68

Next trip out Barry, I was gonna suggest we go Seabassin instead of fluking. Bigger bag limits and a lot more fun catching them. If you're headed this way in '14, say late summer or early fall, let me know. Seems like that's prime time for fishing here as just about every fish is in season except winter flounder.

I'm thinking to schedule the 1st week in Nov. in 2014 as vacation just to load up on every fish I can get to hit a hook. The fall fishing here has been fantastic. Mostly because we haven't had any major coastal storms yet. Of course, we all know that's subject to change.. :)

16. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

My cousin Wendell may have just set a record for largest speared fish in the state. 400# Pacific Blue Marlin off the Kona coast earlier this week.

[​IMG]

17. Cman68

Very Impressive! That's a trophy fish right there!!! Tell your Cuz he's getting mad props from us east coast fishermen! Actually spearing a monster like that AND bringing it to the boat? Let us know if Hawaii sanctions the catch as a record. I would be very curious to find out whatever the outcome.!

Your Cuz needs his own TV show! Fuck Jeremy Wade.. :up::up:

18. stinkyB

Ho fucka.... dats one big buggah!!*

East Coast sportfisherman not into killing billfish, but that's some impressive shit.

19. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Thanks CMan. He's actually still on the big island figuring out how to get it to O'ahu. Probably use the Kona winds and boat it I think.

20. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Thanks. And what's the story behind east coast fisherman not into "killing" billfish?