How good is Austin Howard?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mangold Goldman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Mangold Goldman

I love football, and I love the Jets, but I don't consider myself some kind of expert or anything like that. But, whenever I read about Howard, it seems nobody really can put their finger on how good he is.

Now, like I said, I'm no expert, but to me he seems like a pretty good right tackle. He seems to be pretty good in pass protection, and I can't really tell how good of a run blocker he is because i don't really watch tape and stuff like that. You usually dont hear his name during the broadcasts, which usually means hes doing his job.

What do you guys think, especially ones who watch tape and know intricacies of line play? What kind of contract is he in line for, and will he be a sought after player in free agency?

2. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

When nobody has been saying anything bad about him, then you know he's doing his job.

3. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

The book on Howard before the season was that Howard was a good run blocker and bad to ok in pass protection. Havent read much this season.

4. Mangold Goldman

Yea thats the way I feel, but Ive seen many times people suggest we need an upgrade at the right tackle spot. Ive wondered if thats because of Howards play, or because hes a little known player who we basically picked off the scrap heap, and people just assume he isnt that good

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Howard is our future at RT in my opinion. He's a physical specimen and I believe he is improving each and every week. He should be resigned to a cap friendly deal going forward.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Hes been our best lineman so far this season. He looks like he can be the guy at RT for a while. What a find by Tannenbum.

7. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

I believe PFT graded him out better than D'Brick and Mangold on a couple of games so far this season. I would definitely pencil him in as AT LEAST an average right tackle, which should be retained, even if it's just for depth. I believe Howard was one of Tanny's best moves after finally getting rid of WFH. If anything, I think the two spots on the O-Line that are the weakest are both guard positions. Colon can be pretty mistake prone, and Winters is just a rookie with some room to grow.

8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

WFH will live in infamy. Howard is good.

9. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Interesting, I think Colon has been solid this year, he's a beast in the run game and brings an attitude to the offense. Sure, he's a walking penalty machine but besides that he's probably one of the better RG's in the league IMO. Winters hasn't played bad as a rookie, he's already shown me more than Matt Slauson ever did, and Winters will only get better with continuity with the other linemen.

10. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Our best o-lineman this season, followed by willie colon

Brick and mangold have taken a step back from their pro bowl level and have been inconsistent.

Ducasse/winters are our weakest.

11. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

good enough to resign immediately after the season ends. never had any issues all year. the quieter the lineman's activity the better.

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Colon along with D'Brick and Mangold all have graded out as all in the 10 worst run blockers among all NFL OL in the NFL this year according to PFF going into the Saints game. While stats like this can be manipulated I think its fair to say he is not doing well in the run game.

13. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

PFF makes absolutely no sense to me with their stats. when it comes to football, sometimes it's more about the eye test and watching the games compared to all these logarithms and shit that they have

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think he has been very solid indeed. One of our most improving front lineman and a great find by Tanny ( yes I need to give him credit on this one)

Having said that, I strongly believe every single year we should draft O linemen to insure continuity and strength

You win in the NFL with a superb line and a HOF QB, all other pieces of the offense are variables adjusted thru time.

15. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Good enough.

16. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I strongly agree with you on Howard! I also read many wrong comments about him but he has done very well this year! He and Colon are tough on the right side.

17. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

At this point he's just a starting RT in the NFL, nothing more nothing less. He has been improving dramatically however since the beginning of last year. He also seems so be very smart from all his interviews so I think we resign him after the season.

18. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Hmm. Well, I know that the Jets have had a lot of success running the ball to the right side, much more so than to the left. I'm surprised to hear that Howard, D'Brick, and Mangold are all in the bottom 10, out of the 160+ offensive linemen when it comes to run blocking. Can that really be true? I guess most of the yardage is after contact?

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Football Outsiders Run Stats through week 9:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Make of them what you will but runs through Right Tackle, which is a RG/RT area are only averaging 3.02 yards per carry.

20. XmalcolmX

XmalcolmX Member

Does that explain what he does as a pulling guard or tackle?