Holmes likely out. Again.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HardHitta, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

They traded him because he smoked weed and was suspended the first four games. I'm talking about playing football on the field. Not drama and gossip that you hear from the media who ALWAYS spin what he says to make him look bad. The point is that you are mad that he's injured and using it as an excuse to bring up everything from his past and complain about it. The truth is, the past is over and it has absolutely nothing to do with this injury. People are like boiling tea kettles on here whenever Holmes is brought up, but I don't see you complaining when he puts up 150 yards and a TD or plays an integral role in our biggest recent playoff win.

#41 Barcs, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It was good having Holmes alongside the ride in 2010, but other than that he's been a pain in the ass. The man got paid, the man started coasting.

Jets weren't in that game, Holmes and Sanchez were giving the football away like no one's business, including a back-breaking fumble BY Holmes I believe the possession before.

I'm sick of me first players, I want players that want to win as a team. Holmes is not that type of player. Do you not realize how much money we are paying this man to sit on the sidelines, fall on his foot and throw the football to the other team?

Extend Santonio my ass. We've gotten into this before Barcs - don't worry that part of your signature will be gone once he's cut from the team in the off-season.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that's true. Pittsburgh didn't need him, they had his replacement on the roster. He was suspended for 4 games and they had the nightmare Roethlisberger rape accusations going on.

I think Pitt dumped him because it deflected some of the PR nightmare they were facing away from them and they didn't really need him. They also knew he was going to cost to keep when his contract was up.

This was a low cost move by Pitt that probably had very little to do with Holmes and a lot to do with team need.

4. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Your homer sensei is proud. Or maybe you guys are just one in the same.

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Haha yeah, I only put that in my sig to balance out the overwhelming hate for Holmes on here. Obviously I don't really want him extended right now because that would be silly considering the injuries.

The score was 28-10 and it was still in the first half. At that moment, the Jets were still very much in that game, despite what ended up happening. It's just dudes having fun after scoring on a play. People seem to forget that having fun is a big part of the game. Not everyone does it, but I'd say at least 75% of WRs celebrate when they score a TD and many do it after first downs as well. I wish they didn't penalize it as harshly as they do. Do you think the Giants fans hate Cruz because of the Salsa dance?

Nobody pays a guy to get injured but it happens. Look at Kris Jenkins. We paid him to sit the sidelines like 3 years in a row. I think if he stayed healthy he could have put us over the edge against the Steelers in 2010, who knows in 2009. That doesn't mean it's the player's fault. It's just bad luck. All teams have to deal with injuries. When your big money guy goes down for a year, and then injures a hammy on his return, that is bad luck. When you take that much time off, your body needs to get readjusted to football shape. It happens.

From this point forward all that matters is making sure it doesn't happen again, by letting him get to 100% before sending him back on the field. I know Santonio's past, but people are being way too harsh on him. It's not easy to come back from the worst type of lisfranc injury. He needed 2 separate surgeries and a year's worth of rehab. He missed training camp as a result and wasn't in tip top shape.

Anyways I'm not even going to argue about this again. I've said my piece. Simmer down, folks. It's bad luck. He's not milking it. I firmly believe that nobody wants to be back on the field more than Holmes does. He wants to win above all else. If we should scrutinizing anybody in this situation, it should be the training & conditioning staff.

#45 Barcs, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Hey, I'm not a Homer. I'm a Holmer. Get it right! :grin:

7. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

He is our guy right now so let's wait and see how the rest of the season plays out. I would rather have him at 100% for the stretch run, and so would he. These hamstrings tend to linger and it does neither the jets or Holmes any good if he goes out an tweaks it.

As far as him being a Jet in 2014, no way. Even at a #3 receiver salary we don't need thT attitude in NY. Let him go to TB or JAX and rot

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It truly amazes me how this "Holmes was a locker room cancer in Pitt!" nonsense keeps coming up with there being no basis for it. He was traded because Pitt had a much bigger pr problem with Big Ben and the rape charges. Holmes had an OFF field problem, too, that being his drug arrest, and the NFL automatically was going to suspend him. Trading him took enogh heat off of Pitt that they were able to keep Ben.

That's it.

Holmes is a former Super Bowl MVP winner. In the biggest game of the season, when it's all on the line, and some do not step up despite having played on a team that made it to the game, he was the best player on the field. I remember. He didn't cheat to get that award. He didn't choke. He stepped it up when it most mattered.

As for right now, not starting him is the smart move until after the bye. I expect he will play then, and we shall see what he can do in the last seven games.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The last 7 games is an audition for another team, he better bring it. I remember that time when Deion Branch was a SB MVP also though. Doesn't make Holmes a #1 WR.

10. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Obviously, at this point it's best that he sits out the Saints game, and is ready to go following the bye week. Having him and Winslow back for the final 6-7 games will be beneficial to the team.

11. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Bet Holmes doesnt play 2 games the rest of the year. If we tank he may not play any.

12. Mitch_Dumstein

he's almost missed as many games with injuries as Namath 4ever did on an annual basis

13. Mitch_Dumstein

I'm a homer but I will be surprised if the Jets beat NO on Sunday

Let Tone return healthy after the bye week for the soft last 7 games of the season - all winnable

Stinking Fish- twice, Bills, Raiders, Browns, Panthers, Ravens

Ravens on the road is the toughest of those games, thankfully the 2013 Ravens are a far cry from the 2012 Ravens

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

This guy better come back completely healthy.

this is ridiculous.

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

You're over looking the Panthers game. That is a very losable game, probably more than the Ravens game IMO. They are playing very good football right now.

16. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

It's called being a "Sunshiner" not a "homer". "Homer" is a derogatory term used by "darksiders." I embraced the "darkside" once, but it's just no way for a normal football fan to live; they are sickening people to be around.

A "realist", would say we are going to lose this weekend, but it should still be a good fight. As to the 7 "winnable" games I think you are overachieving a little. Understanding Jets history, Rex history and division rival history most likely we split with Miami and Buffalo (possible sweep on Buffalo, but that game will go down to the wire if we win).

Ravens, we have not beaten in forever (I think we are due). Browns beat us on bullshit, mind boggling nonsense; so crossing my fingers to beat that smelly franchise. Oakland and Carolina are complete toss ups. Probably beat Oakland and fall to Cam Newton.

Just get to 8-8 and we have a really good shot at playoff berth.

17. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Cut holmes already. He is cancer.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

There is no evidence that Holmes is considered a cancer by his teammates. I am aware of the issues concerning that Miami game, but he was frustrated. Since then he has worked with the younger receivers and done nothing in the locker room to deserve the title of cancer.

19. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

exactly, he's a valuable veteran presence on an offense looking for a bright future in the passing game. the cancer perception is completely exaggerated, the only concern with Holmes is his injury history and contract.

he's 10 million plus on the cap next year if all bonuses are paid, thats questionable given his inability to stay healthy, but theres no questioning he's a great contributor the WR corp when healthy. he's also got a wealth of NFL experience, super bowl MVP and all.

Now should a value Vet come in for cheap he becomes unnecessary to an extent, but regardless I'd rather restructure and keep him while drafting the best receiver we can next year. we shouldn't dump him unless we know theres better value from doing so.

20. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

He either restructures or gets cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk