"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Yeah, cause other fanbases are perfectly rational and optimistic after every loss, right?

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Why not give up on Geno?

Don't we get more draft picks next year?

Are there no viable free agents available in the off-season?

Do we just wait until that magical 4-12 season to suddenly realize that we had wasted 5 years with Geno before realizing he can't get the job done?

If Simms is not up to the job then yes Geno gives us the best chance to win this year and we will just have to work around him and his limitations until we are lucky enough to see some improvement. As badly as he has played I am not saying to pull the plug on Geno just yet although I would like to see what Simms can do.

If we do not see improvement next week, perhaps it would make sense to give Geno the same handcuffs Rex put on Sanchez until the turnovers get under control. Maybe ground and pound with a field position battle will get us more wins than throwing the ball haphazardly will. Maybe our defense is more likely to get a goal line stand than our offense is likely to convert a 3rd and 14 without turning the ball over.

Our coaching staff and the rest of our team need to do some serious soul searching during the bye week to figure out how to get us back on track. If a playoff spot is not in the cards this year it is more important to impartially evaluate what we have at the QB position (starter and backups) so we can make the good decisions necessary to build a winner in the future.

3. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Let's no get...... Hasty. YYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, Geno has only played 8 games, giving up on him entirely would be a bad move, testing what we have in Simms though, and using one more off season to decide who starts week 1 2014, is a different story.

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I've been a TGG member since 2000 and this might be the dumbest football thread in TGG history.

The Jets were going nowhere this season. They are in full rebuilding mode. The team has little to no offensive talent, especially with Holmes on the bench. The running game is inconsistent. The defense that everybody brags about got shredded today. There is some talent on the defensive front seven , but that talent is also young and inconsistent. The secondary is weak. But this team is 4-4. If someone said to me before the season that the Jets would 4-4 at this point I would have jumped on it.

Smith is contributing greatly to the wins and is showing poise by leading the team to wins with 4th Quarter winning drives. The losses have been team losses. The defense made Locker and Dalton look like Rodgers and Brees.

Smith is going to start every game this year barring injury. He deserves it. He is a talented QB who has already shown he belongs. And barring incredibly poor play, he will probably start every game next season also. And the Jets likely won't draft a QB in the first three rounds in May.

Smith is a rookie on an offensively challenged team. He is going to make mistakes and he does not have a Megatron or Julio Jones or Dez Bryant or anything close to that kind of player where he can just throw it up for grabs and have that player make a play. The best receiver on the field today for the Jets was Kerley and be pick six was entirely his fault,

And yet you football savants want to bench the QB of the future because some kid with no resume had a good game in the most meaningless of preseason games? You want to throw out that Smith outplayed Ryan and Brady in games that count and play a kid who played well against a bunch of guys in August who aren't even in the NFL ????

I can't believe you are serious.

5. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

I have seen enough brilliance from Geno to come on board with him. At the start of the season I was in favor of giving Simms the starting job. But now after watching Geno really show some flashes I know he just needs to be developed. I still think Simms will make a good QB but I want to see Geno developed.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Jets are as talented as most of the NFL teams. The league is mediocre at best and a large percentage of the teams make the playoffs. There are teams in the NFL that suck that will make the playoffs. The Jets can be rebuilding and going somewhere at the same time. That's the way the NFL is set up right now.

Geno is the man right now but it might be good for his development to sit for a few games. Aaron Rodgers sat for a few years, so did Pennington. Nothing wrong with developing Geno properly and if it turns out Simms has something all the better.

7. James Hasty

Don't sell yourself short.

You have started many thread much dumber than this one.

8. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

But that was the problem. The Jets didn't put their QB in a position to "manage" the game. If Geno threw 0 int, they're still get blown out. Whoever started today at QB would have been forced to carry a team that looked totally outclassed.

9. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

Simms is the new McElroy, only worse. Just because he had a decent preseason game against an awful defense's third string unit. Another idiotic thread

#749 NJJ_Jersey_Jets, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  10. James Hasty

So because Simms is worse than McElroy the Jets cut McElroy and kept Simms.

I guess you just can't fix stupid.

11. perpetualchange

perpetualchange Active Member

McElroy got hurt in preseason dude

12. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I'm not saying start the guy but they guy looked quick on the field, arm is strong, and at least they know if he steps on the field he won't implode.

At some point this season Simms will get a start.

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Rodgers sat behind one of the best QBs in NFL history and sure fire HOFer. Pennington sat behind Testaverde, who was not of the same caliber as Favre, was still a veteran with past success on the Jets. Why in the world, in today's NFL when rookie QBs start much more than sit, would you sit Smith for Simms??????? Simms is eons more inexperienced than Smith. If anyone needs to sit and learn, it is Simms. Smith has now started as many NFL games as Simms did in his college career.

Simms might make a good back up QB some day. Smith is the Jets future.

14. James Hasty

Simms and Smith started the season with exactly the same amount of regular season NFL experience.

We do not know if Smith is the future, right now he is just another guy.

15. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Why? He isn't even putting up Sanchez-like numbers if you compare each of their first 8 games. He has 8 TD / 13 INTs -- 10 TD and 16 TO overall. That is awful.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You missed the point as usual. Smith isn't going to be our future if we do to him what we did to Sanchez. He is in over his head and when you throw someone who can't swim in the deep end of the pool to teach them how to swim, unless they are a fish with gills they generally drown.

The fact that the Jets as usual don't have an experienced QB on the roster doesn't change that fact. Nothing wrong with Geno sitting for a couple of games to get his feet under him.

What's wrong with finding out of Simms might be a good backup? Seems to me the Jets are built to win on running the ball and D. A good backup should be able to win a few games with that formula if they don't turn the ball over. Geno is the future, this isn't a threat to Geno. Namath didn't start from day 1 and he was way more prepared than Geno Smith.

#756 Biggs, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Smith is the future, that doesn't mean he doesn't need to sit when the game gets ahead of him.

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Simms will only start if Geno gets hurt. That's the bottom line. /end thread.

19. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

And yet, Sanchez's highest completion percentage for a season was 56.7%. Smith has 59.3%. Despite the two turnovers, he completed 2/3 of his passes tonight.

Smith is still learning and unfortunately for him, we don't have a strong RB corps, our WR corps is lacking major playmakers (Hill can stretch the field but not much else, Kerley is a good route runner but just doesn't get open enough, Nelson is hit or miss, and that's about everyone worth mentioning), and our o-line gives Smith worse protection than a torn condom.

20. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Simms didn't fumble, and didn't throw an interception, so he is already miles ahead of Sanchez. Hopefully he gets a chance to play in a few more games this season, when the Jets are up 40 instead of down 40.