"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

What reason would that be?

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

zzzzzzzzzzzzz......... FISH ON!

Hope there's a few deckhands available because Hasty's got a full spread on and they're pullin drag.

GET THE GAFF!

3. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly. The coaches do, though. I have nothing against anybody's opinion about the coaching staff and their flaws. If you feel like Simms deserves to start then that's fine. But this is Geno's rookie year, you can't not expect bad games. Especially when the defense shares a lot of the blame. He had a bad game, an ugly game. But Simms showed some talent in garbage time. I don't mean to demean him, but that's just what happened.

It is just my opinion and I am no expert, but I just think Geno shouldn't be benched all of a sudden this season after this terrible game that makes us at .500.

4. James Hasty

Geno has given us eight ugly games where we managed to win half of them by hook or by crook. Where is out 49-9 victory? When do we see a performance like that from Geno?

Every week we see Geno Smith out there making bad decisions at critical moments. I am sure that Simms is human, has his own flaws, and will make mistakes now and then but every chance he gets to step into the spotlight all we see if Simms putting on a clinic, showing us what we want to see from Geno.

Even if Smith is the better option at QB I do not think he is anywhere nearly as far as Simms as many of you seem to think. If we use another first or second round pick on a QB without giving the kid a chance we will regret it.

5. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying, and I'm all for giving Simms a chance. I just don't think this is the right time to do so. I say give Geno some more games, if after those games we are out of contention and some of the blame goes to Geno, then start Simms the rest of the season to show that there is no lock in the QB position going into next season.

6. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

And managing Geno's sanity.

One of his big strengths is his poise. If that game gets worse for him, or he takes more hits, well, you know. That composure can eventually deteriorate over time, a la Sanchez. It's just damaging to keep him in. It was a solid, logical coaching move to put in Simms.

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Come on, there's a lot not to like about Geno's play, but keep in the realm or realism.

If that Atlanta game is ugly, I don't know what you are expecting from a NFL quarterback, this isn't madden on rookie setting buddy.

Where do we see Geno in his 3rd year with a top 5 WR have a game like that? I don't know, probably not 8 games into his career with maybe one above average WR on the team.

I mean every game bad decision at critical moments? What is your definition of critical moments? Down 4 to the Pats in the RZ in the second half and scrambling for a TD? Down 1 to the Falcons and putting the team in FG position? Tied in the 4th Q against BUF? He's had his fair share of blunders backed up by his fair share of good decisions late in games too.

8. James Hasty

It is hard to say exactly when Geno has given us so many bad decisions to choose from.

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

What did Simms do today to deserve anything????????? He was 3 of 7 for 17 yards. He didn't lead the offense to a score.

I hate to be blunt, but this thread is full of idiotic posts by idiots.

Smith did not have a good game, but as for reasons for the loss, he is wayyyyyy down the list.

The defense was awful today. This game was over before Smith had his turnovers. The defense could not stop a nosebleed today. The DL got no pressure and the secondary couldn't cover the Bengals receivers if you gave them blankets and nets.

28-6 at halftime and it was time to warm up the bus.

It speaks volumes that, in a game where the opponent scored 5 TD passes, some stupid Jets fans still look only at the QB.

Look at some QBs around the league. Did you watch RGIII today? Brady the last four weeks ? Roethlisberger?

Back to Simms. He showed me absolutely nothing today. He played because it did not make sense for he Jets to risk injury to their STARTER in a game that was over. Simms was QB for 15 plays in garbage time and 3 completions for 17 yards . And because of that you want to bench a rookie QB who led the team to 4 wins??

Give me a break,

10. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

Thank you. Some of the people on this board seem like they are going to jump off a bridge after loss. I mean what do you expect of a young team that has little talent at the skill position and a secondary that is playing poorly.

11. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I thought Simms showed some great things in preseason...great things..great arm etc..and will always be on record if Smith does not look like the future...I would love to give this kid 2 games....2 games.

With that said, he did nothing today to turn heads but then again, the teams was down and out and mentally dead when he came in.

Also, Geno is up and down right now...he is either going to start having more ups than downs in the near future...or hes not. Just not the time yet to pull the plug on the kid.

12. James Hasty

The reason to bench Geno is not because of how great Simms played but how poorly Geno did.

Simms led the entire team in rushing with 35 yards. More importantly HE DID NOT TURN THE BALL OVER.

13. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Let Geno start against NO, if we go into our bye week 4-5, I say we throw Simms in for the rest of the season.

The thing is, it doesn't have to be a "throw Simms in and give up on Geno" situation, more of a "Throw Simms in and see what he has to offer." Simply put, benching Geno for Simms doesn't have to mean the team gives up on the guy; but there is no harm in testing what we have behind Geno.

14. DanR

DanR Active Member

1 pick 6 is bad, but 2? That's inexcusable, a QB has to manage a game better than that.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

^^^ just because this post should be appended to every post bitching about the results today.

16. James Hasty

Why don't you two just get a room already?

17. DanR

DanR Active Member

Simms didnt give the other team points, that's what he did.

18. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Don't give up on Geno, but clearly this team won't get anywhere far if they do make the postseason, might as well use it to test out the roster/depth.

19. nyjrkm06

nyjrkm06 Active Member

why is this thread even relevant. wow jets fans do whine about everything.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

While I don't think Geno is going to be nothing but an above average QB, Simms is not worthy of getting a start. Let the jets just suck it up and deal with his growing pains, but I do hope that at some point in the next 8 games he can minimize some of those picks.

Maybe not next week though, New Orleans will be a tough match up for the jets, their defense is just as tough as the Bengals.