The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No rookie quarterback passes the eye test after 6 games. The sample size is too small.

#4561 101GangGreen101, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

double post.

#4562 101GangGreen101, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  3. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

the steelers had two weeks to come up with a defense that would confuse a rookie qb... they did so and it showed

he made some real good throws out there so the performance was not all bad but the steelers d handled that gameplan pretty easily. too bad gates got injured i felt like he was starting to come on against that steeler secondary and then he goes and separates his shoulder.

not time to turn on the rookie though, its expected hell have games like that, just gotta hope he can have games like atl and buf too

4. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Just rewatched his ints. The first one looked like a mix up between Cumberland and Geno Smith. The second one Mike Goodson got beat on a block, and Geno was hit as he was throwing.

The good news is he hasn't thrown a interception due to misreading the defense (i.e. not seeing a linebacker/safety) in 3 games. He has clearly improved in that department from his earlier outings.

5. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

The only thing bothering me about Geno is that he doesnt have enough quality targets to improve his throwing and running the offense. We've lost two or three of our best offensive weapons and the replacements are ehhh. At this point, it will take most of next years draft to cover these problems.

6. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Pretty much this.

I would be content with going all offense in next year's draft. This draft is loaded with offensive weapons.

And then signing Byrd to shore up the playmaking safety void.

7. fizzer600

fizzer600 New Member

I agree. His ability to keep calm and not panic after a bad drive is very positive. You have to have a short memory to be a QB.

8. Lehtonen

Lehtonen New Member

Went through some stats and found some interesting things.

7 TDs (same as Luck and Flacco, 1 less than Brady and Wilson, more than Ben, Tannehill, RG3)
    59.7% while throwing down field and not just checking it down (higher than Brady, Kaepernick, Alex Smith, Flacco, just behind Luck and Wilson)
    248.3 yards a game (higher than Brady, Luck, Wilson, Cam, Kaepernick)
    1,490 yards (higher than Brady, Luck, Wilson, Kapernick, RG3, ranked 14th in the league)
    7.8 avg (tied 14th with Romo/Ben, higher than Brady, Eli, Kaepernick, Alex Smith, Matty Ice, RG3, Dalton, Stafford, Cutler)
    22 completions of 20+ yards (8th in the league, higher than Brady, Luck, Romo, Dalton, Cutler, Kaepernick, Stafford, RG3)
    5 completions of 40+ yards (tied 3rd with Dalton, Eli, Rodgers, Ryan, Tannehill, Vick)

Definitely has to cut down the INTs, but just remember the Luck had like 18 INTs last year.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Earlier you literally called me a jackass not only for disagreeing with you but for as you say taking your argument too literally. How are we supposed to take an argument that Smith is equivalent to Luck based on cherry picked stats you have referred to, and taken them out of context?

Ironically?

Symbolically?

Post modernist nihilistically?

Well, if taking your argument literally makes me a jackass, then i guess there are far worse things than being a jackass, and you would know all about them from personal experience.

10. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

he could stop throwing the ball late over the middle to covered guys.

other than that i am happy with how he has improved thus far this year. we are not talking about ball security in the pocket or when he gets out of the pocket anymore, he fixed it. that is one of the most impressive things to me thus far. fixing things..

11. Big Blocker

I have heard the assessment that Cumberland went the wrong way, but at best he might have blocked the safety if he had turned to the right side of the field instead. Where the pass went, even if Cumberland was the intended target, there still would have been Reuland covered by two defenders.

If the pass was intended for Reuland, Cumberland taking a different break on ball would still not have made it a good decision to throw it. And if it were intended for Cumberland, then why was Reuland there in the same spot Cumberland was supposed to be?

Add on top that Smith said he was trying to throw it out of bounds. Now that might have been misinformation, but I tend to think it was more a weak excuse.

In short I am not sure how much a mistake by Cumberland would have, if not made, led to a different outcome. It might have, but WOULD have? I don't see that. It was still a bad throw, and probably Smith's worst all season.

Ftr if you have not followed I am not anti-Smith. I am and remain on the fence about him.

12. Big Blocker

He still doesn't look very good in the pocket, but you are absolutely correct he at least the last two games shows far better awareness of ball security. I am very pleased, as we all should be, by that, and it seems to have resulted from some measures taken by the CS in practice, along wtih Smith's own commitment to correct the problem. That also is encouraging, since the CS working with the rookie Qb in constructive ways is what you hope to achieve here.

13. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Agreed. About throwing over the middle, were there any receivers running short/mid route in the middle last game? It seemed like everyone was running deep routes there.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think the shot gun formation is terrible for creating pocket awareness. When you're standing up and people are coming at you your natural movement is back. When you take the ball under center and back up you have to plant and step up to throw. The step back and forward is a much more natural position to throw from and it pushes you forward into the pocket naturally.

You see more and more QB's backing out of the pocket from the shot gun every year. Geno needs to be trained to step up and throw. Taking the ball from the center on more snaps is likely to help him. It also forces the QB to get rid of the ball. Backing up makes you hold the ball longer.

15. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

You're a joke.

16. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

I think you sir might on the wrong forum. Colts wear blue & white. Don't feel bad, at least you got one of the colors right.

17. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

In the long term Geno will prove to be the better QB simply because he is a gifted passer with a stronger arm. Did I mention he runs a 4.5. We're 3-3 bitches and we'll put a pounding on the patriots this week.

18. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

What caliber of QB is Luck. He hasn't done squat so far that proves he's any good. But the colts are a complete team and they win taking the ball out of Luck's hand. ha!

19. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

Hilton was legit and he still is. You couldn't tell he was a rookie. Luck is a scrub game manager who hands the ball off to Richardson every sunday. If he were that good the coaching staffs would know it and put the ball in his hand but they don't. Geno is a gifted passer and runs faster(4.5 to be exact). There will always be a job for a gifted passer in this league. Especially one who runs a 4.5. Luck is hyped because he came from a football family.

20. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

All I know is Luck is a scrub who hands the ball off to Richardson every sunday because the coaching staffs don't trust his arm. What makes people sure Luck is gonna be elite. I think he is gonna be just like Alex Smith.