The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Simms is listed #2 on the depth chart.

He wouldn't be there if he sucked.

2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Us Geno fans aren't saying he's god's gift to the world. He has flaws, he is not the perfect QB. But this year we need to see his demeanor/attitude, his tools and if he has the ability to play in the NFL at a good to great level, even if it comes in spurts which will most likely be the case.

I'll tell you this....I'd rather see Geno in year 1 take is bumps and bruises than Sanchez in year 5 and I don't have any hatred or tension against Mark too.

3. TheGreenCantona

This is a meaningless discussion, Geno will get this year to prove what he has and to show progression.

I wasn't too worried about the titans game, sloppy INT you can do something about. BUt in the steelers game, he was just not getting the defence at all. Didn't even feel close to coming back, just confused.

4. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Brother, you know I have mad respect for you and your opinions. Have for a long time. You know your football. However, I disagree with you here. This is his rookie year, man. He is gonna make mistakes and turn the ball over as a result. It's not like its gonna cost us a run at the championship or anything. This was never a super bowl bound team anyway. This is a team being rebuilt, and further along that we ever should have been able to hope. But Geno needs to be allowed to develop. Matt Simms isn't the answer at QB, Geno Smith is. He will work the turnovers out, JH. If he was the ONLY issue, AND that issue was keeping us from reaching a championship, then I would agree with you. But that isn't the case. Give this same argument in 2 years, and I would complete support you. But at this point I believe Smith needs to be allowed to play the game and make the mistakes. It's the only way he can develop.

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

16 other rookie QBs felt the fate of that Steelers defense

2 weeks to prepare and you have a recipe for failure

a lot of us knew Geno would struggle vs Pittsburgh

6. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

check Geno's won/ loss record. That is the only stat that counts especially when dealing with guys with an agenda! next you will be telling us why not keep Sanchez for next year.

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Rodgers, Cutler, Romo, Rivers, Eli, Big Ben, and Carson Palmer have all had one of their best of best years before year 7 starting.

Peyton Manning, Brady, and Drew Brees have had their best year at year 7 or after.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Brady Quinn can't even suit up on weekends because Matt Simms sucks so bad he can't beat this kid out.

Don't tell anybody though. Gotta keep that a secret. Why? because everybody that knows anything at all about football, knows that Matt Simms can't possibly play NFL caliber football at the Qb position. Just ask Brady Quinn.

FWIW, I think Quinn would be the perfect #2 guy for the Jets instead of Simms. Why? He's just happy to be on a roster.

9. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

NY can't wait 7 years.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We've waited 44 years. What's another 7 gonna do? Another 10? Another 44?

11. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Sort of how rookie QB Andrew Luck looked against the Jets defense last season.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is exactly right. If Geno had looked really good against the Steelers we could be polishing his bust for Canton at this point. The odds on him looking good against that veteran defense, with one of the great all-time defensive coordinators running it, were just really low. Like almost vanishing point low.

Rex's defense made Andrew Luck look like a rookie last year. Without Darrelle Revis.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

By that logic no team was dumb enough to draft Joe Montana until the 3rd rd, no team was dumb enough to draft Tom Brady until the 6th rd but teams were smart enough to draft JaMarcus Russell and Tim Couch #1 overall.

Let's look at his 13 TOs and check to see if they were good punts b/c he attacks downfield:

TB:
    1st and 10 at our 11, Geno fumbles setting up TB at our 5. TB scores TD
    2nd and 7 at TB 40, geno throws INT at TB 34

NE:
    3rd and 5 NE 27 down 3 in 4th, INT at NE 11
    3rd and 4 at NYJ 46, INT at NE 31
    2nd and 10 NYJ 29, INT at NYJ 46

Buf:
    1st and 10 NYJ 15, INT at midfield(1st example of throwing down field)
    1st and 10 NYJ 38, INT at NYJ 45

Ten:
    2nd and 5 NYJ 25, INT at Ten 48
    3rd and 3 NYJ 47, fumbles
    1st and 10 NYJ 41, INT at Ten 49
    1st and 10 NYJ 16, sacked, fumbled for TD

Pitt:
    1st and 10 Pitt 23 down by 10, INT at Pit 1
    1st and 10 Pitt 12, INT at Pitt 3

Again, I'm not anti-Geno but the facts don't bear out your statement.

I do think geno is asked to do more based on the OC wanting to pass more but it's a false statement to say mark didn't do anything to help us win. The run game looked great as far as #s but was not great, it was a great garbage time run game. We were winning w/ D first w/o a doubt(as we are now) but mark won some games. Maybe not the way geno won in Atl though mark gave us a late lead on a Monday Night in Mia where the D couldn't finish the game.

I agree it's too early to say anything for sure but I am very encouraged by what I have seen.

14. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

JStokes already pointed out my revisionist history. I'm on board with you guys now, but I still maintain I've seen enough from Geno to at least say he has the potential to succeed and he should be granted the opportunity to do so.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free

15. nyjunc

I'm on board too, he has shown me enough to think he an be our longterm answer. Will he be? that's TBD but I am comfortable with where we are at.

The problem is most fans aren't patient and are already getting frustrated. It can be a frustrating process but he is a rookie that really shouldn't be starting right now so we need to look at like he is getting experience right now. Don't judge him based on this season so far, let's see him grow and learn.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Geno's up and down and inconsistent like any rookie. Considering most of us gave Sanchez a pass until years 3-4, we should probably try to do the same with Geno - especially since he's playing with less talent.

The organization on the other hand, doesn't have to give him this pass. Spend this year evaluating the kid and if, after the year, they have an opportunity to pick up a better QB - go for it.

I did not like the gameplan sunday more than anything. They were creative, aggressive and unpredictable Monday night in Atlanta and the kid looked great. Sunday they put the handcuffs back on and were very conservative and predictable...

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

when was the last time jet fans had to show patience with a younger QB.......

its been a while.

and we have been conditioned to expect a young QB to come in and have some success because some teams have benefitted from that scenario in recent years.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We've got a bunch of games in front of us for the organization to figure out where Geno fits. That's the benefit of low expectations on the season.

19. nyjunc

I am not saying wait 10 years but we are committed to geno at this point and he gives us our best chance to win. there will be more ups and downs this year but hopefully as the season progresses we'll see more ups than downs.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

First of all having read the opinions here and elsewhere, I would count myself somewhere in the middle on this Smith debate. Some obviously feel he's the future of the team, while others think Simms should have been starting before now. I hear the arguments on both sides, and am not convinced, totally, by either. Why not? Here are some points:

1. Play the Rookie. I understand his defenders saying Smith's mistakes are not grounds to bench him, since he's learning the game. I get that argument, but am not totally persuaded by it, either. The approach does not work for everyone, and it's not just the obvious cases like David Carr. I think the bottom line is whether over a stretch of games your rookie Qb shows improvement. Because it seems obvious to me - if he's not showing improvement, then how does one demonstrate that there is a benefit to playing him so much so early in his career?

Having said all that, I give the edge here to Smith, so far. We are only one game removed from his best game of the season. Let's see what he shows in the next game or two. Or three.

2. Turnovers. This is the biggest knock on Smith. I don't know how many of them result from receivers not running their routes and other mistakes by others. But two int's on first downs???? And there were some other near interceptions. Going back to point one, the throw into triple coverage was his worst throw of the season. It should be concerning especially on first down. It makes me concerned that his feel for the game, his quick decisions, are not where they should be even for a rookie.

I understand the comparisons made to Peyton Manning by his defenders. I read a stat that there have only been four rookie Qb's who since 2000 have thrown as many interceptions as Smith this early in his career, one of the others (the horror) being Mark Sanchez. So let's be clear - Manning is a complete outlier in this argument by analogy. The fact is that Smith is doing far worse here than most rookie Qb's since 2000. And how many rookie Qb's since 2000 ended up better than average? The question answers itself.

3. Blame the OC. To be sure, poor arguments made by Smith defenders have nothing to do in and of themselves with what the Jets should do with him going forward. But one can't help missing that some sizeable portion of the fanbase who defend the Qb at all costs do so by blaming everyone else, especially the OC, for the Qb's failings. This is ridiculous, of course, especially in Smith's case.

I don't want to focus too much on the Pitt game, but it was obvious the Stealers have been having problems with their run D up until this past week. Powell's production for some reason has been going down, both total yardage and ypc. Goodson got hurt in this game after looking good, and I think it obvious the Jets do not consider Ivory to be a bell cow. Heh. In any event not only was Powell not productive, but the jets were down by two scores in the second half. It's textbook NFL strategy, especially if your first half game approach has yielded only 6 points, that you change it up to a more vertical passing attack.

Now of course in doing so Smith was hindered by a lack of talent at receiver. Still, some of those passes? Really? Most likely it's a mix of lack of talent and poor decisions by the Qb. Just don't blame the OC for throwing into triple coverage.

I am of course reminded of the past Sanchez defenders here, and there were a good many of them, blaming Schotty for all his problems. I notice that the Rams just beat the Texans in Houston, and Bradford threw three TD's, which was only one less than his incompletion total. Just thought I would mention that.

Conclusion. On balance I expect, as they should, that the CS will stick with Smith for the time being. But if he looks awful for some number of further games, and consistently so, they should consider seeing what Simms can do. I see little harm in seeing what Simms can do if Smith is not doing it. He might learn from a benching.

Hopefully they will not have to make that decision because he will play better. We shall see.....