The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

LOL. :rofl:

_

2. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

Looks like I have you cornered. By the way, what's the name of that chick on your avatar?

3. mute

mute Well-Known Member

remind me later ill tell you when I get on my computer

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Are you seriously comparing Matt Simms to Tim Tebow? That rates a "C'mon Mannnn" for sure. I'm not gonna go to the "Idzik's boy" pov although there's a case there to be made, I don't wear Tinfoil Kangols. Geno is the Jets starter until season's end barring injury. There is no disputing that fact. At some point, you have to get your backups game action if for no other reason to keep their skills sharp. There's no way Garrard plays before Simms does. Even you Genonistas have to realize that.

Simms is not Tim Tebow. Simms may or may not be a threat to Smith. We'll never know as long as there is this fear of giving Simms any snaps.That's why I said in another thread that if Simms were smart, he'd get the hell outta here and go someplace where he'd actually see the field as a #2. It's not gonna happen here for him.

5. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

And yet no other NFL team wanted Simms as a #2 or as even a roster spot. He was undrafted. He is not some hot commodity we are keeping in cryostasis to one day unleash him on the league. He was evaluated by scouts, GMs, etc. and none of them thought he was anything. If Simms were smart, he'd keep his mouth shut (as he's done) and enjoy collecting an NFL paycheck at least for this season. There are no guarantees he is on anyone's roster next year.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Yet no other team was dumb enough to draft Geno until we came along and took him.

Think about it, Geno was a second round pick because every team in the league passed on him (including us twice).

Your point about Simms applies equally to Geno.

#4466 James Hasty, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  7. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

I bet the Bills wished they had been "dumb enough." Instead, they have an injured Manuel who is more of an athlete than a passer. I also can't imagine that the Jaguars were thrilled to pass over Geno twice for the sake of giving Gabbert "one last chance." We were lucky that a guy slated to be a possible top 10 pick fell into our laps. Idzik recognized the opportunity and took it. Simms is only liked by some fans because he is the backup of a player that has struggled at times. The backup QB is always the most popular player on a struggling team. Texans fans were actually propping up TJ Yates this past week (and he has a far more accomplished pedigree than Simms). And Yates can't play. At all. But their fans were blinded by the starting QB's struggles so they couldn't see it. Simms supporters are under the same haze.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If you think that Geno has merely struggled at times you are the one who is delusional.

With the exception of one game the dude has been unable to protect the football. I do not know what is going on in practice but if he is coughing up the ball in practice he should have to ride the bench until he can prove that he can protect the football.

You can not win in the NFL if you turn the ball over 2-3 more times than your opponent.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If no one thought he was anything how did he get a roster spot and an NFL contract? NFL Coaches, GM's and scouts are shit canned every year for getting it wrong.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The biggest issue with Geno at this point is his accuracy. He has missed several easy throws and even almost threw a pick to a d lineman in Atlanta. What is more concerning is his pocket presence he does not feel pressure or step up in the pocket and he can't throw accurately on the run.

Alot of this can be attributed to rookie learning curve ala Sanchez. When Geno stays clean and can step into his throws with a predetermined read he is very accurate. When the pocket breaks down is where he gets himself in trouble.

The jury well is still out it takes 3-5 years to become a good QB in this league and most QB's don't reach their peak until year 7 so we won't know about Geno for a while yet.

I wonder what cute names we will be calling Geno a couple of years. Noodle arm to butt fumble can't wait until Geno get his nick namd

11. mute

mute Well-Known Member

her name is Renee Milsap .

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Really? Do you have an article or something pointing to this? Off the top of my head, I'm not so sure this is true. They had to have reached their peak before year 7 or a team wouldn't have kept onto them for 6 years before that.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Pick almost any QB and their best years are usually after year 7. I did not say it takes seven years to be good I said seven years to reach their peak or prime as a QB. That is usually the time the physical and the mental come together.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Usually you see a quarterback starting to understand the game around year 3 for example, Matt Ryan took a big step his 3rd season. This new age of QBs tend to understand the game much quicker. 7 years would be what you describe as the "prime" of their respective careers.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Oh yeah, it definitely applies. Getting taken in the 2nd round is the same thing as getting passed over by the entire league for 7 rounds.

I just don't know at this point. I think Jets Derangement Syndrome has begun to sink in for a lot of people.

I don't think Geno is any kind of guarantee at all but we have long-time posters here who should know better (not you BTW) suggesting that the Jets are both a playoff caliber team AND that they should be starting Matt Simms.

I mean is it like 1000-1 that could work out? Of course it is. But to be suggesting it is just crazy. Because it's 1000-1 to work out like that.

The danger in playing Matt Simms is that he looks just competent enough to make it a bit of a competition between him and Geno given the rookie's rough start. This despite the fact that there's no way that Simms is close to Geno as a potential NFL QB.

Then we have Matt Robinson and Richard Todd all over again, only Geno is probably a better bet than Todd was because the only reason the Jets took Todd in the 1st was that they had Alabama on the brain because of another alum who had done some pretty special things for them.

I get that people want to see the underdog. I get that a lot of people aren't sold on Geno Smith. I just don't get why those people want to subject the franchise (and themselves) to what is likely to happen if Matt Simms steps on the field.

I still do not understand why Simms was in camp in the first place. No stone left unturned does not mean anybody who can sling the ball comes to camp. There are a lot of very strong arms out there who played quite well in college who didn't get an invite to camp. That's because they're obviously not NFL QB's. Just like Simms.

16. Cman68

So then, on a team that supposedly thrives on "competition", Simms shouldn't play because he might bring... competition..

I hope Phil grabs his kid by the neck at season's end and talks him into getting the hell outta here ASAP. Simms will never play here in NY even if Smith throws 8 pick 6's in a single half. No way could we even risk the slightest hint of Qb controversy. Not that Sanchez would have created any controversy heaven forbid.

It would serve the Jets right if they wind up with Brady Quinn and David Garrard as backups to Geno Smith. At least there wouldn't be any question of a "competition" cause if there were, it would certainly be viewed as rigged.

Note to Matt Simms: Run Boy! Soon as your contract is up, drop off the key and get yourself free. Go someplace where you'll get playing time. Doesn't really matter where cause you ain't getting any here in NY. CFL, AFL, anywhere else. Don't blow a possible NFL career by rotting away in Jersey with a clipboard and a headset.

17. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I dont belive you guys say with a straight face that Matt Simms has a remote chance of compete with Geno lulz, one thing is to say Geno is not ready for the big stage yet or never will be , another is to set your QB position to Matt Simms but hey maybe I didnt watch enough tape on Matt Simms and we got a Aaron Murray here.

18. Cman68

I said Matt Simms should be allowed to get on the field at some point just to get the experience and see what he has. This is supposed to be a rebuilding year I thought.

Nobody can compete with Geno Smith. That much is written in stone. If Simms can't get on the field here, he would be doing himself a disservice hanging around here. He's got another year on his contract. The Jets could do the kid a favor and cut him this offseason. That way, they can sleep nights knowing they're just one injury away from the immortal Brady Quinn and/or David Garrard. Simms may not have the big college resume, but he has enough in his arm and moxie to at least get a sniff from another team.

Again, if Brady Quinn and David Garrard gives you the warm and fuzzies, that's all well and good. I can't think of a more deserving franchise to have Qb's of their caliber backing up Smith

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Simms wont play anywhere he goes, how hard is that to understand

you dont play musical chairs with your QBs if you do you end up like Jacksonville, Cleveland and Oakland

20. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I dont care if he's a ten year veteran or its his first start. If he plays bad, he plays bad. And when he does play poorly people have every right to say he played poorly.

Theres nothing wrong with pointing out someones flaws. Its easier to take when he's a rookie because theres still the hope that he will get better.

If you can't handle negativity than you should be the one to leave.