The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

you guys are just pathetic

I dont care what rookie QB a team brings in, he's going to struggle early on

I swear guys should be banned from talking football

2. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Its no coincidence that the same people screaming that Geno is a bust after 6 games are the same people saying that Muck wasn't a bust after 4 years. There is always going to be a certain subsection of any group with substandard reasoning abilities and stunted frontal lobes, but we shouldn't dwell on these ignorant few.

Geno has made his mistakes, as virtually any rookie will. He has also made a lot of outstanding throws, and has shown potential. Anyone who says they can evaluate Geno for, certain, good or bad, after 6 games, is a jackass not worth listening too. If we let Muck drag our team down for 4 years, the least we can do is give Geno a fair shot for a year or two to show what he can do before we give up on him.

3. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

If Rex is still here it will be more Defense drafted.

4. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

3 wins...be fair the Tampa game was a win but no real thanks to Geno. He was a mess in that game also.

He had two awful interceptions -- game changing, momentum killing, awful interceptions. He does not handle pressure well at all. he panics and his first move is to retreat. He doesn't have a feel to evade pressure like you see from other young QBs. Step up, step sideways, take a sake and live for the next down. He seems to panic...i don't think you can coach out the panic. His overthrow of Hill was another horrible play. No pressure in his face...just make the one throw you need to make and he failed.

Geno is not the guy-- he just isn't. He is missing that IT factor....if the jets wait and see what he is they will waste 3 years and start all over again.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he's a rookie, he's learning. We will see a lot of up and down, hopefully we see the up this week. I suspect we will.

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The fact is we just do not know what Geno will be. Calling him a bust or the savior is premature. So far he has played like a green rookie. Guess what guys he is a green rookie.

It takes 3-5 years for QB to become good with decent weapons. That is why we defended Sanchez he has been through the learning curve and we wanted to reap the rewards of it but this fan base is too impatient.

Geno is a lot like Sanchez he is an athletic pocket passer that throws a lot of pics. He is also like Sanchez in that he is very inconsistent and does not know when to say when.

If the surrounds Geno with good weapons he should develop into a good QB. The sad part is by the time he gets good I can say with 80% confidence he will playing for another team.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

It takes more than good weapons to make a QB good. If all a QB needed were weapons then Gabbert would be lighting it up with MJD, Mercedes Lewis, Cecil Shorts and Justin Blackmon. Not trying to say weapons don't matter but apart of being a good QB is mental. I say that accounts for about 75% of a QB's success. So if Geno becomes good then it's because he has the brains.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

There of course is a basic argument here with two sides. One side says Smith "clearly" is not going to succeed. The other says basically he's a rookie, look past the mistakes, see he can make the good throws, and he will get better and more consistently so.

Gee it would be nice if it was clearcut. But if we step back from this single game, it's not so clearcut. and here's the thing, even as the season progresses it might not become much clearer, either. We could well see more games like Atlanta where Smith looked great, and more like yesterday when he did not.

It does seem like against Pitt the CS saw stats showing that they could be run on, but they actually did a decent job defending the run. Now what? It seems like Smith does not have the confidence, yet, to turn it on as the game demands.

But I think it would be a mistake to overreact to one game. If the oddsmakers are right and the Jets can't win any of these next three games, we will be in a somewhat better position to look at Smith and the rest of the team. But until they lose them, it is premature to be so down on the team.

9. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Yep, sure wish 6 was still under center smh

10. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

So we should draft a new QB each year? Yep, thats the blueprint for success.

11. 85inthehall

I think with 6 under center this team is 5-1 right now. He really seemed to be clicking with this offense in preseason. Just a shame they are going to waste this young defense this season.

This is how they must feel in cleveland -- solid defense and an offense that just can't do enough to compliment it.

12. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

What do you think Colts fans were saying last year after Rex Ryan and the 6-10 shitty defense, not as good as 2009 and 2010, New York Jets shut down Andrew Luck. Or when he did the same to Russell Wilson. There are just some coaches who can make a rookie QB look like a fool. Lebeau, Ryan and Bellichick are some just to name a few.

13. 85inthehall

Russel Wilson doesn't really wow you with his arm -- he is much more impressive running and having one good drive to beat you . That is why I don't think the Seahawks are true super bowl quality. They can't play that game at home.

The Jets D last year was very strong in the secondary and they got up in that game quick making the Colts one dimensional. Much easier to defend a one dimensional QB.

Smith had chances but made just awful mistakes two weeks after going to each defensive player to say he was sorry for making those exact mistakes.

14. nyjunc

john Idzik wasn't building for this year, the moves he made were to clear up the cap and to have a long term starter under C. he's cleared up the cap, I think geno has shown me enough that he can be a very good starter in this league. It's up to Marty and his staff to develop him. If we are in the playoff race or make it that is great but the plan was not about 2013, it has been about 2014 and beyond.

15. 85inthehall

Geno's shown me enough to know that if they stick with him for 3 season he will be booed out of town

16. nyjunc

if we had Brady he'd be booed out of town w/in 3 years. Jet fans want perfection, they want the impossible which is funny that most worship the very flawed Joe Namath who, if he played today, would be booed out of town before he could develop.

Hopefully the FO isn't dumb enough to worry about fan reaction, they have for far too long and it is why we have a new HC and QB every few years.

17. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Not to be Capitan obvious, but Geno is killing this team with turnovers. This is precisely what led to Mark Sanchez being replaced by McElroy last season. The fan base is sick and tired of red-zone turnovers.

To me it may be more telling that the talent surrounding these two QB’s is the issue. When the field shrinks, one on one match-ups are where the play is won and lost. Now we have Mark and Geno who both seem to get very flustered when they are faced with pressure (Mark would get happy feet, pat the ball, and pump fake. Geno seems to run backwards or into pressure). Combine that with the lack of a red-zone threat (ala Plax or Keyshawn) and the QB is set up for falior.

Getting back to Geno, I think he has the talent to be a good to very good QB in the NFL. He needs to keep his chin up, learn from his mistakes, and demand some weapons be acquired.

18. 85inthehall

If they didn't care they would have given Sanchez a chance this year with a real OC and let Geno sit on the bench. 32TD in 2011 gone in 2013.

19. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Well as a fan of the Jets you are entitled to your opnion. I fear you have let emotions overtake logic, but hey....your opnion is on record, own it either way

20. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

agreed! Its up to MM to allow the kid to get into a rhythm early in the game. he did not allow it yesterday. Geno looked out of sorts! He has a cannon and we fired it only once yesterday!