The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I think part of the problem in the beginning was that they tried to establish the run while not asking Geno to do too much. He just threw a couple of slants to the outside. It got into his confidence which was probably already pretty wobbly. When they asked him to drive down the field he wasn't there. The first pick was just terrible. The second one he just plastered. Well hopefully he grows from it.

2. NewYorkEveryThing

Dawan landry sux so bad. Nothing like his brother.

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree with you that Pitt did a great job of playing physical on our Wrs and jamming them at the line. But there were a number of plays in the 4th quarter where he threw some bad passes when he did not set his feet. The overthrow to Hill was one. Geno is normally very good at setting his feet, standing tall and stepping into his throws. Watching the game I the last 4 drives it was noticeable to me he was not stepping into all his throws. Consequently he looked to be losing some accuracy and zip on those throws.

Take a look at the tape. I am interested to look at it again just to look at those last 4 drives. But a loss like this is hard to watch again. But there was also more. He was bouncing on his feet, looked confused and showed some signs of Sanchez type "happy feet." He looked to me mentally defeated. We saw this right at the end of the Tenn. game. That was understandable as he took vicious beating that day and a lot of bad things had happened to him that day not all of his making. But today he still had a chance to get us back into this game.

I don't mean to bash Geno. I have been very impressed with him all year. Impressed with his mental toughness most of all. As well as his poise and calmness. These mental strengths seemed to be lacking for him at the end of the game.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I've been a harsh critic of Geno from the day we drafted him and throughout the 1st 6 games but I'm not running for the guillotine with him. I thought I saw some good positives from him. Yes teh 1st INT was bad but he moved the ball very well in the 2 minute offense right before the half.

Yes the pics were bad but it's not like he is throwing into double coverage, the 1st he overthrew the WR and the 2nd he was hit as he threw it. He has a lot of confidence in his arm strength and he throws with some zip. (I think he busted up Gates hand) It also looks like he doesn't second guess himself. He also seems to be aware of where the DL is, a few of the sacks were coverage sacks so he is making the right decision as much as sacks suck.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

24 hour rule in effect but just briefly before that:

1. No Santonio Holmes, no Kellen Winslow, Jeremy Kerley well accounted for by the defense most of the game. As bad as the Steelers secondary can be the Jets receivers were mostly worse today, and not because they had memorably bad days - just because of who they are.

2. Dick Lebeau feasts on rookie QB's. This is a historical fact.

3. The Steelers were coming off a bye, which gave Lebeau all kinds of time to plan against the rookie QB.

Yeah, it was a trap game and the Jets and Geno fell into the trap.

6. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

I dont think we are going to the playoffs this year again.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Were you sleeping during the Titans game?

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I thought the Steelers were just an overall better prepared team today. Geno had a bad game but he made some throws over the linebackers in the middle of the field and some beautiful timing throws on the sideline. I'm encouraged by what I see. This kid makes some fantastic throws. He needs to play more. The Steelers were simply better prepared today and won the matchups on both sides of the ball consistently.

The INT into triple coverage was horrible. I thought the overthrow to Hill was mostly on Hill hesitating instead of going full out. It was very close. Geno will learn to underthrow those a little when Hill has blown away the D.

9. Zombies

Zombies Member

Only the overthrow to a triple covered Konrad Reuland was really unforgivable. I mean, just look at that sentence. I thought overall the Steelers' D was more good than Geno was bad, which is the consensus, I guess. It always sucks to lose games, especially against strugglers, but outside of elite teams and stuff like this year's Jaguars the teams in the "mushy middle" always play each other close.

10. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

To put it in perspective, from a personal experience, look at what Rex Ryan defenses do to Rookie Qb's. Dick Lebeau is on par with Rex, I was not surprised today.

11. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Did not expected you to suport Smith at this point , the play call and the O-line didnt helped him either i think either way he needs to improve more trough the year.

12. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

All I can say is 1) when did you become a QB scout? 2) what game did you watch?

The OL was horrible and gave Smith no time all day. The defense had no pressure on Roethlisberger in the second half, the secondary was burned on big plays all day, the defense did not force a single turnover again, and the Jets receivers are ridiculously undermanned. The Jets were pushed around and lost all facets of this game except run defense, but like a typical fan you want to blame the QB.

Smith's first pick late in the third quarter was bad, but let's say he throws it away instead. There is no guarantee the Jets score a TD there. If they gat a FG, it's 16-9. The Jets then gave up a FG. So it would have been 19-9 with the Jets still needing two scores at the end. The second interception is on the OL. Smith got drilled just as he threw the pass. How is it that his fault????

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Clyde Gates our #1 WR today......

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Idk, Hill is starting to hold onto everything and Cumberland looks like he might be a player.

_

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

holmes hill kerley cumberland are not a bad group,unfortunately the drop off to gates is pretty drastic

#4355 FJF, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  16. John

John Active Member

who else really wants jets to move up no matter how much it takes to take sammy wakins.... i mean we got a lot of depth this year in the draft only positions we need help in is WR , TE, S and maybe another corner we have enough cap room to sign atleast 1 great player in one of those positions why not move up and get wakins and give us a true young #1 reciever kinda like falcons did with Julio

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He shouldn't under throw, that's where the hanging picks come from. Back shoulder throws in stride are a different story but Geno's pick at the opening of the Titans game was an under throw to Hill.

Just keep airing them out and get better receivers if the ones he has aren't good enough to track them down.

The Jets had less talent at WR/TE today than at any time in the recent past. Having both Holmes and Winslow out was a killer.

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you. In fact if you read my post I mentioned most of the points you made. I have no problems with the INTs or single bad plays, I think there is a ton to like about Geno. I am not pointing blame at Geno for the loss

I agree the OL is awful and has degraded quite a bit since last year. He was getting killed today and has been getting killed all year. I also agree that it was made even more difficult for him with the Steelers jamming and mugging our receivers at the line.

My point is not criticism of Geno just observation. Take from it what you will. The point of the post I made was my perception that Geno's poise, calmness and mental discipline seemed to disappear the last 4 drives. He showed some confusion, shuffling of feet in the pocket, what looked like nervousness and was not setting his feet and following through with all of his throws. Which for Geno is pretty unusual. My perception is he looked mentally cooked. These qualities have been his strength all year long. Geno has far exceeded my expectations of a rookie QB. This was a winnable game. But Geno did not lose it. It was a team effort. Defense, OL, and Geno.

19. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Dude sammy will be avaliable when we pick even if not then one of mike evans or marquise lee will be so trade up is just lame.

20. John

John Active Member

i think sammy will be gone to be honest takes a little longer to see where we are drafting and where he is projected and stuff but i really want him on the jets