League of Denial.....

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by stinkyB, Oct 9, 2013.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The NFL is run by a group of scumbags, the owners, guys like John Mara and Robert Kraft, complete waste of human life. Embarrassments of mankind, weakest of "men" on this planet.

2. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

The NFL is a business. They will keep the machine going at any costs.

3. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I remember hearing an argument somewhere that the league wasn't willing to go away from the hard helmets because the sound on impact was so iconic.

4. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ons-nfl-helmet-maker-marketed-one-such-anyway

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Of course, I just wish these guys would have to testify under oath about what the knew.

6. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it yet but am really interested in it. Over the years, I often refer to the NFL Draft as "the Meat Market." People call me crazy, but I look at the explosion of soccer in America and tell my friends, the sport in general is going to benefit from footballs medical problems. Jeez. Even I watch it sometimes.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Nominated for stupidest post of the year.

8. Dierking

Remove the face masks. You won't see guys leading with their heads any more.

Cut rosters by at least a third and limit substitutions. You'll need smaller faster guys, some of whom can play both ways. No more 350 freaks on the lines.

Basically, rugby-ize the game.

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I wasn't commenting on the documentary, I was agreeing with the person that said that NFL players knew the potential risk when they signed up. I wasn't defending the NFL or saying what they did was right. I'm saying you shouldn't sign up to play football if you don't want to risk your long term health. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize this.

#29 Barcs, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  10. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. That must have been it:

11. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

You'd think they would be open to other approaches now.

12. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

Yes. Players know that football carries a possible long term risk to their health.

The NFL was trying to sweep the situation under the rug to protect the money they are making. They were told of a major problem on the horizon. They turned a "blind eye" while also trying to suppress or discredit people trying to bring it into the light.

13. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I'm watching it right now, about 1/3 of the way through and I am flabbergasted. I knew it was bad, but this really brings to light how fucked up not only the NFL is, but big businesses in general. WOW

14. Dierking

Barcs, its clear from your posts that your likely not old enough to know people with cognitive disabilities due to age, illness or trauma, but its a sad thing to spend time with someone who's obviously lost something off their fastball. Trust me its not something someone "knowingly" signs up for after doing a cost benefit analysis. And your glib statement about how well paid these guys are is beyond moronic, given how short the careers are, how much unpaid apprentice time the employees need to put in to get to the pros, and the vast number of those who never make it to a level where they can get paid at all. The average pro football player is arguably among the lowest paid employees in the workforce if you adjust for all the externalities.

I've said this before. In a generation or so, if not sooner, DCYF is going to be taking kids away from parents who let them play organized football. Unless the game is changed radically to make it safer.

15. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

imo a lot of jobs are unhealthy , if you dont want to play you dont sign the check everyone is aware of the bad things that can happen. I tell you a lot more people would sign a NFL contract then the ones who got one. Its in players responsability if they wanna play or not no one is forced to play.

16. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Unless you do the tax returns for NFL players or have some time of proof to back up your generalizations about players being paid amongst the lowest in the workforce I will disregard those comments. You say that no player would knowingly sign up for this? Newsflash, they are STILL signing up for the NFL by the 100s year in and year out even with all the science and documentaries that are out now.

Football is more popular in viewers AND people playing the sport more than ever, you also state the average NFL career is short, which is true. The average career is somewhere between 2-3 years, at what point should the NCAA be held accountable since you most likely developed any longterm issues much earlier in your career given the extremely short pro career.

One last thing, I said it before and ill touch on it again, if a grown ass man needs a scientist to tell them repeated blows to your HEAD over a long period of time can lead to serious brain injuries you should not be playing football nor any sport.

17. Dierking

NCAA should be responsible yesterday. At least the NFL compensates its players, although for most of them its not close to adequate given the length and danger of their careers.

I understand the libertarian approach that says let people do what they want regardless of the long term consequences. There are a couple of problems, though. These may be "grown ass men" in the physical sense, but they are barely into their twenties when they go pro. Not the best decision makers, necessarily. And the true effect of the beatings they take aren't always apparent until many, many years later. So you basically have kids lured into sacrificing their health for what are, for all but a small percentage of them that hit the lottery, illusory riches.

That's my take on it any way. But I still watch and root, so I'm complicit. If the Jets would just get on with it and win the Super Bowl finally, I think I'd probably stop. Wesley Walker and Al Toon were two of the greatest and most impressive Jets I've ever rooted for, who played with amazing speed, style and grace, and both are now dealing with serious health issues as a result of their playing days. Don't feel real good knowing that.

18. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

^I feel the same way. When the Jets win their next Super Bowl I will probably stop watching/caring as much. The '96 Yankees will always be my favorite baseball team and no baseball championship will ever reach the same level of excitement for me.

19. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I'm in my early 20s as well so that's no excuse for not being able to cognitively assess what's healthy and what isn't. As much as people like to paint the picture of a bunch of "kids" being lured into a bloodsport that's not the case at all. Accountability needs to be present across the board and not aimed at one specific entity(NFL), that's my take.

20. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I felt sick watching this (currently into the first hr).

Anyway as said by one of the Doctors, I think its true 15-20ys from now the NFL will suffer due to little player involvement.

I wouldnt want any of my kids if I had any playing this sport.

I wonder if people will boycott the game altogether. I know I would have no trouble doing this but some consider this game a "religion."The NFL got many by the balls.

I'll watch the 2nd hr later.

#40 mute, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013