The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The big difference in Geno's performance was from what he was not asked to do against Atlanta. Against Atlanta he was not asked to carry the team, he was not asked to run a pass offense, he was not asked to make many deep throws, he was not asked to take as many hits and he was not asked to be the center piece of the offense. He was asked to run a conservative mostly short passing offense. Unsurprisingly his completion percentage and stats increased running a more low risk offense.

A much more appropriate offense for a rookie. There were not as many beautiful and pretty throws or big plays but there were still some very nice plays. That back shoulder pass to Cumberland was beautiful and so was the TD to Winslow adjusting to put some touch on that ball to get it over the DB. He intuitively knows the right spot to position his throws on the receivers body. But the most impressive play he made was the run along the sidelines at the end of the game. Not only did he show some impressive athleticism he showed some smarts picking up an extra 5 yards.

But pretty throws, accuracy and physical gifts have not been his most impressive qualities so far. Its the mental side of the game. The resiliency to respond when needed. That to me has been the most impressive trait he has displayed. That is something he has shown all year.

I would love to see him run more upspeed high tempo two minute type offense like he did at WV. It would seem to suit him well.

2. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Just a great game all around, All phases of the game. Just looked like Geno was in some type of zone if you watched his face all night long. Its a VERY Happy Tuesday For ME.

#4262 4jetfans, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He likes the shotgun but lets work that in we don't have the personnel to run that type of offense quit yet.

Geno seems to play well in good weather the next test for me if he can play well in inclement weather. Not lights out but that the bad weather does effect his throws and mechanics.

Go JETS great win I love hearing all the pundits back tracking.

4. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Honest question here the shotgun afects wich aspect of the game for worse the running game? cuz it helps the QB on more time at looking at the field never got that.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the shotgun just not on every play.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Obviously Smith showed improvement last night. Great game for him, and it says something significant that he could bounce back from that dreadful performance in Nashville.

It did seem though that Atlanta's D got their pass rush going in the second half, and that ended some drives, allowing Atlanta's O to get back in the game. But the last drive sealed the win, and it looked good.

Smith did help himself with no turnovers and some nice passes. but Marty deserves credit for calling a great game, and the RB rotation was impressive. Some good field position as well - it all added up against Matt Ryan, who is a very impressive Qb.

Hopefully Smith can put together a string of consistent games. One game at a time, and Pitt is ripe for the picking, but it sure would be great if the Jets beat NE.

7. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I think the next test is to see how he adjusts to adverse weather conditions. So far his two bad games were in poor weather. Would like to see him take some strides there.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I hope that was the sign that it "clicked" for him last night....... especially after last week's shit-show.

Well called, well executed game. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come :grin:

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

as of right now it is supposed to rain Sunday.

I think the next test is coming off prosperity and not just for Geno but for the team. The team is pretty young, had a huge road win on Monday Night, get a short week facing a winless team at home. That is a game they could come out flat and get beat, let's see them build on this.

10. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

wow we went from doom and gloom a week ago to boner time this week.

just like it wasnt as bad as last weeks results, its not as good as many think it is right now.

the key thing i saw was that we didnt throw the ball up there 40 times this week and geno smith took care of the ball. every time he even thought about breaking out of the pocket he tucked it, granted not very well or tightly but he tucked it.

but he did get a little lucky a few times last night, the lollipop that he threw up into double coverage could have been easily intercepted and he did throw one that was almost picked by a defensive lineman. and you cant give him too much credit for the check into the bilal powell play as babineaux was right there to smash him in the backfield which would have been a much tougher field goal.

great job by him, great accuracy in the strike zone for most of the game. a tremendous amount of poise and definitely cleaned up a few things. the biggest one being ball security but he isnt an all pro yet so lets not get too high.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The play that showed the difference in playcalling and how we treated Geno last night was a 3rd and 17 inside our own 20 in the 2nd half. In the first 4 games we would have likely asked him to chuck the ball down the field and try to get the 1st. A low probability high risk play. Last night we changed philosophy and said its ok to punt and that we do not need to put the entire game on a rookies shoulders. We called a quick screen pass and punted.

I hope we see more of this type of playcalling.

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

That audible on 3rd down on the final drive is a smart play that most young QB's wouldnt dare pull off against their coaches. It was a smart read

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

it was his 5th game in the NFL.......

14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

it was but if babineaux makes the play he is getting killed for it. i probably didnt state it well in my prior post.

15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Massive game for Geno.

Two brightest spots for me:

1. Incredible accuracy. Every ball was on the fingertips or on the numbers, led receivers perfectly. Think he threw 2 bad balls all night. Looked effortless doing it. I know we are not supposed to talk about he who should not be mentioned here, but seeing a Jet QB put basically every ball where it needed to be was such a revelation. Even the best miss a pass or 2, he was just sensational. I like to talk about QBs who look like they are handing the ball off downfield--that's what he looked like he was doing. Oh, there's an open guy--here take the ball.

2. Took his sacks an PROTECTED THE BALL. Total awareness of what was going on around him, two hands on the ball. That was huge.

I also like how calm he looked on the last drive and I recall on one of the TDs, he just casually walked to the sideline like it was nothing. We were sitting behind the Jets bench and he just mosied over after the TD with little or no emotion.

_

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Training wheels. Gotta have them in a rookie's first season. With Geno they're like mag wheels with nice racing stripes on them but they still need to be there.

I agree that he's going to be a good up tempo QB when the time comes but I don't think we are there yet to let him consistently do that.

17. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I think the bills at this point are wondering if they made the right decission Franchise wise in the draft , Idzik nailed it so much value on the pick for a 2ยบ round. You cant go wrong with best player avaliable kind of draft.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, the highs and lows are still going to be there. What I'm seeing at this point is the same thing I've seen all along, good strong arm, accurate throws, pocket presence is ok but he's still back pedaling now and then, he doesn't feel the blindside all that well (like most QB's young and old), he lets the last play roll off of him like water off a duck's back.

We're in a pretty good place with him but we've been there all along, he's just acclimating and mostly not making the same mistake twice. If you do that then the overall mistake rate goes down.

19. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

are you kidding me!

80% pct and no picks and 3 TDS

are we sure Geno wasn't switched with friggin Aaron Rogers during the week.

The man was poised and completely unflustered.

The 2 minute drill went like clockwork.

Lam

20. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Last night was a big step forward. He made it a point to tuck the ball more securely when he scrambled. He seemed very conscious of that which means he's learning. For me, the accuracy has been there all season, but last night it was at its best. Not to mention, nothing seems to rattle this guy, he's a very calm player, which the other players have noticed.