The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Geno vs Gabbert?

Go!

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Does anybody realize that this is Game 4 for Geno? This takes time and I know this might be hard to comprehend PATIENCE!!!!!!!!

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Geno was awful but it's silly to give up on him already, we are still 2-2 w/ him and he has shown flashes. Give the man some time. We knew he wasn't ready to start but he had to so don't hold that against him.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I do not hold it against him I hold it against management for not having a viable Vet backup. Sound familiar?

6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think Geno is kind of dumb? Ive been having this conversation with a lot of fans lately. He just doesn't seem like a smart guy on or off the field.

7. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Looks like a guy that was made better by having elite NFL caliber receivers at WVU and playing less than impressive competition.

As for people saying how bad Sanchez was last season -- the entire organization was mismanaged last year.

I look at 2011 Sanchez with 32TD and a top tier red zone offense. Too many turnovers but 17 INT -- fumbles were a big issue.

With Geno they once again have a backup they either don't trust, don't believe is ready, or are scared to play because god forbid he is better than their draft pick.

8. Milliner is your Mommy

I wish Sanchez was starting we could really use his experience but thats not going to happen with his injury. Geno is clearly throw into the fire and doesnt seem ready. Hes extremely irresponsible with the ball and loves to run backwards. He tried to safety himself and if it wasnt for the Titans player tackling him short he would have ran back into the endzone. Hes a bit of dummy.

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Geno Dumb? I have no idea except their is little evidence that he is. He has grasped a pretty tough playbook earlier so I would not say he is dumb. I think he is inexperienced and not ready to start.

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

interesting last statement - especially the part about the current backup QB. i understand everyones skepticism with simms and lack of college performances but sometimes, just sometimes, it clicks for someone at the highest level. some teams are very protective of a draft pick, sometimes to a fault. thinking back yesterday probably was as good a spot to get simms some game experience. what is the risk to giving him the last 7-8 minutes of the game? forget the non-sense about smith needs experience. thats BS.

11. Milliner is your Mommy

I hope so. Theres inexperienced and then there is flipping the ball behind your back while running into your own end zone. Or jogging with the ball held out far from your body when you could easily have the first down. Or running backwards into your own endzone and getting saved from a safety by being tackled.

12. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

record is irrelevant. we could be 0-4 with 0 points scored and it would still be dumb to give up on him.

he is a rookie, barring injury he should start the entire season. we are a bottom 5 NFL team in full rebuild mode. give him the year and evaluate his full body of work at years end.

13. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

yeah, plenty of excuses can be made and plenty of other blame to go around... but just like with sanchez, that doesnt give you a pass to maximize how poorly things turn out on a given play. just cause there is a breakdown in the play or blocking isnt a free pass to throw a pick 6 for instance.

Geno was careless with the ball yestarday and made horrible decisions time and time again. he didint give us a chance to stay in the game. that was the bigges problem with mark, and early on it looked ok with geno. yestarday was a step in the wrong direction.

coaching staff need to take some heat for this as well. the penalties and turnovers are unacceptable, and alot of that has to do with no practivcing and preaching ball protection and discipline.

14. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Considering we lost the turnover battle every single week so far and were still 2-2 I don't see how were a bottom 5 team in the league.

15. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The fumble while going for the first down annoyed me more than anything else. The guy has the first, decides to go sideways, and is running like it is a walk through. Where was the urgency, the fire, and drive - i just saw a lazy jog towards the sideline.

16. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Such a bad post. I'm sure the coaches don't have 2-2 football team slated as bottom 5. We easily could have beaten New England. Buffalo, just beat the Ravens. This conference only has one clear cut team and that is Denver. The rest of the playoff spots are no where close to formed.

yesterday's "win" for Tenn came at a huge cost. You think Fitzpatrick is leading that squad anywhere? He's not. :up:

17. Can Grande

Can Grande Active Member

I could be mistaken but I think Geno thought, probably correctly, that if it stayed where it was on contact the ball was going to be stripped. He didn't have the choice of securing the ball in the way you normally would because of the position of the defensive player. His only hope at that moment was to transfer the all to his other hand in the only way available to him, - behind his back.
    On the almost safety I think he was conscious of the end line. He looked up quickly to check he was indeed short of the line as soon as he hit the turf.
    Not great I agree, but not as totally hopeless as some would contend.
    The kids a rook and has a long way to go.

18. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I don't bother with any analysis in replying to you because it's worthless to waste on replies like this. If you don't understand the difference between Alex Smith and Mark Sanchez and why teams would consider a Smith a starter but not Sanchez then there is no reasoning with you.

Mark Sanchez is likely headed to a Career path like Brady Quinn, Rick Mirer, etc. He will go somewhere else, but not start unless there is an injury or the starter is totally inept. No franchise will see him as their "Starter" again the way KC did when they signed smith.

Now, if you really want to talk about our fourth string QB can we keep it in the thread dedicated to him instead of polluting the thread about our starter? Thanks.

19. Can Grande

Can Grande Active Member

Correct me if I'm mistaken by all means but didn't he execute a highly effective short passing game in college. And while he has not been consistent haven't we seen him make some difficult intermediate to long throws this year?

20. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

The question I have is whether he should be playing at all. This learning on the job thing didn't work with Sanchez, and I worry that it's not going to work with Geno. Is the team doing Geno and the team a disservice by playing him?

I know there are a number of QBs who have stepped in and contributed as rookies (P Manning, Luck, Newton), but they are a special breed, which is why they were taken so high. There are an equal number (Brady, Rodgers, Brees) who were allowed to make their mistakes in practice and in the film room before setting foot on the big stage.