The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

This pretty much how I feel..... The positives are enough to give a fairly long leash, but he needs to cut down on the sloppiness.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If you work with Giants fans:

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Owen.

Owen who???

Owen Four sucka!!!!! Bahahahaha

(makes non-victory Monday go by a bit faster if you can pile on a Giants co-worker!)

3. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

He's had two games where he's had a decent completion percentage:

67.6 yesterday, on 34 attempts which is pretty damn good.
    63.2 versus Tampa during the home opener.

He had one game with a lower completion percentage, where he was taking lots of long shots down the field:

55.2 against the Bills.

His combined completion percentage in those three games is 62%.

And then he had the stinker which is dragging his average down:

42.9 against the Pats.

Of course, Brady only completed like 48% of his passes in that game.

Geno is actually a pretty accurate QB if you watch the games, or take into account his overall average completion percentage is being dragged down by one game.

4. Organized Chaos

Yeah, the fumbles bothered me more than the interceptions yesterday because they were preventable. He should have tucked the ball once he ran with it, on the first fumble. The second fumble where he tried to pass the ball behind his back was ridiculous. At times, he's been so smart on when to give up on plays it was disconcerting to see him do that.

Hopefully he will 'get it' and learn to tuck the ball.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

No he is not. Will we please stop equating completion percentage to accuracy two different things.

We forget this is a MM offense the completion percentage will be high it is the nature of the WC and hoe Marty calls a game.

Accuracy is about putting the ball where it needs to be and Geno has made some accurate throws but overall his accuracy has been below average and yes worse than Sanchez.

Can this fixed sure it can but Geno is what everybody thought of college a flawed QB that needs work on fundamentals. I love how people rag on Sanchez about pocket presence and accuracy then praise Geno for the same thing.

The reason Geno is getting so much pressure he is not getting the ball out on time. So looking at the stats like Noam does is misleading. Geno causes a lot of the pressure himself.

As I have said earlier on my biggest concern with Geno is pocket presence it uou cannot learn to step up in the pocket you will not make it in this league. If you are a runner you can fake it for a couple of years but stepping up in the pocket is hard to learn.

No doubt the kid has talent but as I was also afraid of he was thrown into the fire way to early and it will get worse before it gets better. The problem the Jets have is their back-ups Simms has zero NFL starts and Quinn is awful.

They desperately need a Vet QB at this point to play a game or two or at least relieve the rook when he starts to struggle. Sanchez could have played that role nicely (when does he come back)

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

The INTs I can live with for now--I think a bigger issue is a lack of awareness on the field. Not stretching for the first down, backpeddaling into a near safety, backpeddaling into the Buttfumble 2.0, the safety in preseason.

But I think that will come with more playing time as the game slows down for him.

_

7. JStokes

I think this is the biggest issue Geno homers are missing (I am a Geno supporter, not a Geno homer).

What I read yesterday/last night were a bunch of folks saying he made some great throws, a dozen better than Sanchez has ever made, some really bright spots, great arm, throws a great ball, etc. Some "great" throws.

Sorry, no. There were some great COMPLETIONS but many were not great throws.

One of each of the completions to Holmes, Winslow and Kerley were great completions.

But not great throws--in each case the receiver was forced to leave his feet and dive to make the catch. GREAT completions.

But great THROWS hit those guys in on the fingetips in stride so that the receiver gets some YAC.

Nitpicking here, and I'm NOT saying they were bad throws--far from it.

But these "flashes" are augmented by the wow factor of a first down or a nice completion under durress and not actually looking at the throws.

The throw to Cumberland was a GREAT throw.

_

8. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

When will we all agree that this offensive line needs a lot of help. Weather its GS or MS or any other QB back there. If you can protect the QB your going to lose.

9. Organized Chaos

Uhh no.

Yeah, and Shotty ran a WC offense too. Most offenses in the league run WC plays even if they're not strictly WC.

Nonsense, Sanchez is not an NFL QB and does not have NFL level accuracy. Geno in his fourth game is a more accurate QB than Sanchez. This is why the Jets coaching staff hid Sanchez for four years behind conservative game plans.

They really should keep you Sanchez fanboys locked in his thread until we cut Sanchez.

You still talking about Sanchez?

Brady Quinn is a better QB than Mark Sanchez.

#3789 Organized Chaos, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You are funny so now Schotty ran a WC offense? Can't even reply to the rest so you are blinded by hate for Sanchez you think what are seeing from Geno is actually good Qbing.

Your comment is nonsense Sanchez is not an NFL QB great analysis and right now Geno is worse. Geno can get better and if as you say Brady Quinn is better than Sanchez then Quinn needs to get warmed up to play.

11. Organized Chaos

I don't hate Sanchez, I think he's inept. If I hated Sanchez I wouldn't have this name or avatar.

It depends on what you think "Good" is. For a rookie, I think he's damn good. Not RG3/Luck good, but still pretty good. You can see he has the makings of a NFL QB if he can get his mistakes under control.

He's not. He won't be starting anywhere next year, barring injury.

How is Geno worse? Sanchez played the same team last year (The titans) and got totally embarrassed turning the ball over five times. Sanchez isn't a rookie either, so there was no excuse.

12. Organized Chaos

Mark Sanchez vs the Titans 2012

13/28
    46.43%
    1 TD
    4 INTs
    1 Fumble.

LOL.

13. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Tony Sporano, Tim Tebow, Kerley was the #1 with who chilens and gates at that point?, Greene was the #1 back with a solid 3.1 per carry average, that whole season was a waste.

And after that game Sanchez got benched...bench Geno and let him sit back and watch the game. They don't have $40 million invested in him -- they have what $9million over 5 years? He doesn't have to be rushed given that he is not ready.

14. JStokes

I've always wondered how people know this.

I could have swon that folks said he was getting cut after the draft, cut June 1, cut before training camp, wouldn't play in another game for the Jets ever again, even preseason, was getting cut before the 1st game, was being IR'd for the season, was being traded to the Bills, Raiders, SD, etc., would never play in the NFL ever again and will be playing in the CFL next year or will be working at McDonalds.

So now if he goes to another team as a backup he's not an NFL QB? If he doesn't start?

And if given a chance couldn't beat out a Gabbert or Ponder or Matt Flynn or Glennon or some other mediocre?

How do people know all this stuff in advance and how are they consistently always right?

_

15. Organized Chaos

From watching football.

16. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Again, for too many people it's about comparing to Sanchez. As if that should in any way matter.

Mark Sanchez last year was the worst QB in football. He's a joke, was a terrible draft pick that completely failed.

But Geno Smith is ALSO terrible. Mark being bad doesn't make Geno good. They are both terrible. They were both drafted bc of stats and hype, both were way too raw to be handed the keys.

Rookie QBs make mistakes. But when they are the worst QB in the entire league, they shouldn't be playing.

17. JStokes

Good analysis, perfect reasoning.

Matt Cassell is starting games, Brian Hoyer is starting games, Alex Smith is given a new life after years of inneptitude, somebody will bet on Matt Flynn again, but Sanchez will never start again.

Actually, isn't even an NFL QB as a backup.

Spot on objective analysis.

_

18. JStokes

Somehow the debate has gone from needing a franchise QB to getting a QB that is better than Mark Sanchez.

LOL.

And I don't think Geno is terrible.

_

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

for fuck sake, there's already a thread to contain the 5 million posts debating the levels of Mark Sanchez's suckiness ........

20. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

This year will be to evaluate Geno and possibly Matt Simms. Geno will play make mistakes and learn from it. If he is better by the years end good if not on to the next QB. It is necessary and this year is a wash. Get over it and move on no Qb chance will ge this team anywhere with Gates, Kerley and Hill as primary targets. Sanchez is done and it is time to move on.