The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Two times in 2 years--nothing ever like this--no other team.

Your man Mariota looks like a stud, btw.

_

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

We are 4 games in and you guys are losing your minds... The game is still fast for Geno and it can take up to a season if not longer for the game to slow down... Let's relax...

This team was riding high and they got slammed back down to earth today... This is where we are going to see what kind of leader Geno Smith is.. This is the best thing that could have happened to him... Let's see how he reacts and moves forward from this.

3. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Everyone looks like a stud in Oregon's offense.

4. JStokes

So, what you're saying is...nah, nevermind. Somebody else can start that lunacy again. :grin:

_

5. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Obviously had a ton of mistakes today, but the kid can make all the throws. Just have to suffer a bit with the growing pains.

6. JStokes

So what? A guy started for WVU for the first time ever and threw for over 300 yards.

Guys look great in a bunch of different offenses, Mariota has looked pretty good this year and he's tall--can throw over the top.

If you don't think he's a very good QB then OK.

_

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm not giving up on him. It's still 2 ways for him to go, either up or down. You just hope that he learns from this and never repeats it again.

8. Tom

Tom Member

Its pretty obvious its not just Mark Sanchez sucks or Geno Smith sucks...the New York Jets suck

9. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

ok and wich franchise you support?

10. Tom

Tom Member

the New York Jets

11. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

A lot of QBs can make the throws. Jamarcus Russell comes to mind.

Geno is completely clueless on the field, and the learning curve coming from the system he played in to a real system is massive. As a project on a good team, yea you could take a flyer on Geno.

As your franchise QB and immediately starting him? Completely retarded.

12. GangGreenTay

GangGreenTay Active Member

Geno has thrown for 1090 yards in 4 games. He's a freaking gunslinger. Consider this he's on pace for 4000 yards as a rookie :O

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

4000 yards and 48 turnovers.

14. JustaJetFan

JustaJetFan Member

Oh no, a rookie had a bad game. I guess he's a lost cause now and there's no hope of him ever improving in this league.

Come on, let's be realistic for a second. The Jets drafted a rookie QB in the 2nd round. They have a QB competition that doesn't let him get as much reps with the starting unit that a starting/new QB should get. They throw him into the fire, without training wheels, on week one.

Is Geno supposed to just instantly get it week 1? Sorry to break it to most of you, but most rookie QBs will have have some rough patches while getting acclimated to the NFL. If you can't handle watching a rookie QB on your favorite team develop, I'd recommend just becoming a bandwagon fan of a team with an already good QB, because for the next few years we will be watching either Geno, or a new young QB develop.

15. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

Only the Jets can go from a QB that turns the ball over like a machine to another QB who turns the ball at an even higher rate.

16. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

I said this in another post, but since Miami wasn't on today, I watched the Jets specifically to get a feel for Geno. To me, he absolutely has the physical traits to be a QB. He made some nice throws and has a great athletic ability about him to buy more time.

His problems seem largely based in the mental aspects of the game. Taking awful sacks by continuously backpedaling is something he will learn from. Carrying the ball carelessly while running is another DOH mistake. I was impressed by some of the throws he made.

Give him some time and I think he will be ok ... maybe not a top 5 QB but certainly more than serviceable. He has nobody to throw to other than Winslow and Holmes who is constantly hobbled.

Take it easy and breath Jet fans, but I know that is not easy ... I've been waiting 13 years and hopeful we have finally found our guy.

17. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

He can throw for 6000 yards for all I care, if you lose the turnover battle every week your gonna lose a shit load of games.

18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Alex Smith- Mr conservative and king of the check down - will never ever win when it matters and can't lead his team to a win. He can manage a game, but he doesn't have the downfield passing game, or the guts to even try it, to win in today's NFL. Bringing him in would have set the franchise back 5 years. Harbaugh is no dummy. He knew what he had in Smith and what Smith lacked.

19. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

godammit we drafted Brett Farve!!!:wink:

the funny part is any other pick from next year will likely have a game just like this, with their own flaws flashing brightly in the face of a supposedly promising career.

it doesn't get much better wit most rookies, even last years set had off days (often against the jets)

20. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

One thing that does worry me about Geno is. What exactly does he need to succeed? A couple of big receivers like Seattle have and a bruising running back like Gore; or just an overall commitment to getting decent players. IF Ryan leaves he may have to learn a whole new system and then his bottle goes, like it did Sanchez.