The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Gator

Gator Active Member

Good point. What were Rodney Peete's numbers after 3 games?

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

As long as Holmes is on board the rest are going to be a bit more ecstatic now. Holmes I think partied hard after that game.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We'll know long before 4 years if Smith is going to make it or not.

The "it's going to take 3 or 4 years" argument assumes that Geno will do poorly this season and it is going to take that long for us to know whether or not he's the guy.

The likely facts are that if he does poorly this season he's not going to get the chance to re-establish himself all that easily.

The certain facts are that if he does well this season, and he's on an early trajectory that suggests he will probably do well, we'll know he's going to make it.

The thing that people aren't taking into account well enough early on is that there are basically three different postures that a successful QB can be in during the first half dozen games of his career:

1. His team is protecting him heavily and he's not throwing the ball all that much and generally safe passes when he is.

This is the Ben Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson category.

2. His team is not putting a rookie bubble around him and they are letting him take shots down the field fairly often and make the normal mistakes that happens when you do that as a raw rookie.

This is the Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck category.

3. He's doing something completely unprecedented that takes him out of the normal category and makes him kind of his own category for evaluation.

This is the Joe Namath, RGIII category.

What Namath was doing was throwing the ball around all over the place against established defenses and succeeding despite his experience deficit. What RGIII was doing was running a WCO/Read Option hybrid that nobody had seen before and putting up big numbers in the process.

Right now Geno Smith more closely matches the Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck category than anything else. That suggests that he will improve some as the season progresses and by the end of it the Jets will likely believe we have our franchise QB.

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Apparently good enough to get Holly Robinson which is pretty damn good in my book :grin:

_

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

They are protecting Geno a lot more than you think. Because he takes shots down the field they are letting the training wheels off? That is such flawed logic I do not know where to start.

The playbook thus far has been very simple and the reads made easy for Geno. Taking shots down the field has nothing to do with how simple or complex a playbook is. In fact going deep is actually an easier read. What you are seeing that you have not seen in six plus years is a competent OC.

You are wrong it will take at least three season before we know if Geno is a "franchise Qb" probably longer and that is if they surround him with talent and keep the OC consistent. Playing well for a rookie changes in year three and four. W ehave not seen near enough of Geno to know how he turn out.

Hey I am harder to convince I have not declared Luck, RGIII and Wilson HOF either. There where posters on here making Kap elite. The fact is we do not know where these Qbs will end up and how good or bad they will be.

So far Luck and Wilson seem to be the best of the bunch but we are three games into their second year and Wilson has a loaded team. RGIII and Kap are struggling we just do not know if they will be Elite Qbs today none of them are.

#3585 cval, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I love what Kap is doing, he's exciting to watch and he has a world of talent both throwing and running, but does anyone else think he has a really weird and/or elongated release?

Something looks just a bit off.

_

7. lamont_jordan_rules

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Franchise QB does not equal Hall of Fame QB. Right now Joe Flacco is not going to the Hall of Fame but there is no question he is the Raven's franchise QB. Similarly Tony Romo is the Cowboy's franchise QB and I give him very little chance of going to the HoF.

Ken O'Brien was the Jets franchise QB from 1985 to 1990 and he never had a shot at the Hall. Same for Chad Pennington from 2002 to 2007. Same for Vinny from 1998 to 2001.

I think there is a very good chance that Geno Smith becomes the Jets franchise QB without ever threatening the Hall of Fame. Most NFL teams have a QB at some point who leads them for 5+ seasons and becomes the franchise over that span without being an all-time great.

Now if people want to say that Geno Smith is not likely to be an all-time great? I have no problem with that.

Joe Theismann was the Redskins franchise guy for nearly a decade and he won a Super Bowl. No Hall of Fame. Ken Stabler, the same. Ken Anderson never won a Super Bowl but there was no question he was the Bengals franchise QB for a long time.

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

you were comparing him to Manning. With that logic Sanchez was our franchise Qb but you hated him.

The fact remains we will not know for three plus years if he is capable of being a long term solution. It will take seven years for him to reach his peak.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It remains to be seen. Run first Qbs do not last in the NFL.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I was right...Holmes is very happy

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...aa3336-262f-11e3-9372-92606241ae9c_story.html

12. NewYorkEveryThing

At least he is not lawrence taylor. I hate that piece of crap. Likes teen@ge girls and is a cr@ckhe@d. That is one of the reasons I always rooted for the jets.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

“We’re more so happy with the opportunities he’s given us,” Holmes said. “He’s putting the ball in great positions for us to make big plays for our team.

Stevie Wonder can read between those lines...

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm happy with Smith. He definitely needs to cut down on the turnovers, but I never feel like we are not capable of picking up a first down on a 3rd and 6, and we have definitely hit some throws down the field. He's getting good grades from me so far.

15. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

Uhhhhhh, Joe Willie "White Shoes" threw for over 4,000 yards in 1967. Matter o' fact, he was the 1st EVER NFL qb to throw for over 4,000. (apologies if this has already been stated).

16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Ahh, Apology is not necessary :wink:

I feel the same way about having to actually merge it... lol.

8th day...eeeshh.

But truth is, in the end we all want the JETS to succeed no matter who the hell is there.
    I think guys get caught up in the "I told you so" more than the .."FUK YEAH WE WON!"

idc, I just wanna win :beer:

17. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

being right and proving other people wrong is 97.34% of what forums are all about :)

19. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I agree, and there was a bigger jump somewhere recently (2010? 2011?) due to some rule change, or something.

I think you can compare everyone's stats, you just have to be mindful of the eras. I don't think 1998 was so radically different that you can't point to a rookie's struggles back then and say "Rookie QB's sometimes struggle but turn out well".

I get bummed out sometimes by the "pass friendly rules". On the other hand, teams still field great defenses (like we did in 2009/2010) that are hard to pass on. Also I understand the player safety issue, we don't want to see anyone killed on the field. I remember Boldin getting laid out by Eric Smith, and yelling "OH YEAHHH!" then thinking "shit, I hope Boldin is going to be able to play again."

20. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

If they remove press coverage , and blitzs they remove 50% of the strategy behind defensive schemes dont think that will ever happen.