The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

Talk about a party pooper.

Although these comparisons are hardly analysis-worthy due to countless other factors & variables, they're fun to see nonetheless.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I understand that, but it's cool to look at the numbers and see how he is performing next to the other rookies that are turning into solid NFL quarterbacks. Just a cool thing to look at. That's all

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Geno's clearly got openers at this point. The question is what he does with them. I'm thinking Marty Mornhinweg is going to be the key here. Geno had the big game in something resembling a rookie bubble with 40+ rushes establishing a context in which he could function well.

It wasn't your typical rookie bubble, because the Jets took repeated shots down the field, but that's ok. If you're trying to develop a big play QB you need to keep giving him big plays to work with.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cannot stress this enough. We have the coaching now to develop a QB that can play here for 10 years. Continuity is key.

5. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Yes, back in the ancient times of 1998. Did they have leather helmets back then?

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Let Geno cook.

7. BookEndTackles 72&79

You should give a rat's ass. How about the TD pass to Hill?? He floated that ball over the defender and dropped it into Hill's hands. The defender couldn't play the ball. He made the throw to Santonio that way for a good reason and you just want to discount it to fit your narrative. Pay attention.

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Definitely key factors. I also like that he doesn't appear to get rattled and sulk and that he really seems to be getting the ball out a lot faster than he did in pre-season. His footwork still needs some work but it is improving IMO.

They were doing a little bit of no huddle at points during the game and I thought he handled that pretty well, too.

9. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

It's funny that we have fans whose narrative is to diminish and discredit our rookie QB. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Geno Smith playing well a good thing for the franchise? Shouldn't we all be rooting like hell for it? Sadly, some fans would rather be "right" that a guy "sucks" than have the franchise improve.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

That poise is impeccable, the best thing about Geno is after his INT's he completely shrugs it off and comes back to go through the whole process again. He is all about the execution.

We all know that after 1 INT, Sanchez is doom and gloom with himself and his confidence.

Geno after his INT, came back and went gunslinger to Santonio for 69 yards.

I also honestly feel this is the game that his WR core finally trust Geno...I mean Santonio was so happy that he kept getting the ball...He probably is ecstatic that he got a deep ball

11. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

I'd like to find a stat on dropped passes. Surely him (and probably Brady) lead the league in dropped passes limiting his comp %.

12. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Easily one of his most impressive traits. When Sanchez threw a pic, in the back of your mind you thought he would spiral out of control the rest of the game (and often times did). After his 2nd pick and the Bills TD, I just knew he would be poised and grab us a TD in the 4th. Bam, perfect strike to Holmes for the go ahead TD.

He obviously has some work to do, but nothing phases this kid. I also love his post game conferences where he takes all the accountability and wants to get better.

13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

most of those guys havent played all year ... they only lost mckelvin, which was admittedly pretty big given the shape of their DBs

even still, before the jets game the bills limited brady and cam to 5.5 ypa and 6.0 ypa, respectively

genos ypa was 11.4

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Who is calling for Geno's head? I was not into the draft pick, but he has far surpassed my expectations. He's played very well so far for a rookie and we are 2-1. The only loss was a game where the receivers really let him down otherwise we may be 3-0

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Umm, were you reading the posts on this forum after the New England game lol

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Geno is already miles ahead of Sanchez in giving up when futility has set in and just throwing the fucking thing away.

17. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I won't start forming much of an opinion about Geno until the end of the season when we can compare each quarter of the season and see if he was progressing during the season. I didn't start to form a real opinion about Sanchez till the end of his third season. I realize it can take 2-4 seasons for a QB to get their feet on the ground fully, but you expect to see across the board improvement in their game from game to game and season to season.

18. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL, good point.

I think it's funny when people talk about 1998 and DB's being able to mug WR's...you can always tell who is old enough to have watched the game back in the 60's and 70's when DB's were allowed to make full contact and use their hands past the 5 yard bump zone and almost literally tackle receivers downfield in their routes as long as the ball wasn't in the air.

That's why I get up in arms when someone tries to statistically compare a QB from pre-1978/1979 to QB's after that point. The game changed dramatically.

19. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Finally some common sense. And here I thought in weeks 1 and 2, the Bills were running out prime Ed Reed, prime Ronnie Lott, Darrell Green, and 2009 Revis in their secondary. That lucky Geno!

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm remembering Lester Hayes making contact with a receiver at the line of scrimmage and then just getting dragged behind him because the stickum on his gloves was worse than super glue.

Then there was the hand check to the face mask routine that left nasty goo all over the face mask. Hard to catch the ball when just looking forward makes you want to puke.