The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. jesterjetman

jesterjetman Active Member

Actually, no. If you listened to the post game interview, Geno specifically noted he intentionally threw the ball with little arc knowing tone could get it and knowing it would leave the cb with very little time to react to the ball. So I would not say all of his deep throws are on a line based on that throw. In fact, I was encouraged by that throw because until that point, most deep throws (think of the two deep passes to hill), while far, hung in the air a second or two longer. The tone throw showed he can really zip a 50+ yarder also.

2. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that at this time but if he continues doing what he's been doing such as throwing bonehead picks & barely completing 50% of his passes for say the next 3-4yrs, then I would say yes, it's basically sanchez 2.0.

3. jetsons

You can't make that comparison, the Jets D this year, so far, is playing MUCH better than the seahawks & redskins D played at this point in the season last year. If it wasn't for the Jets D bailing the offense out we would has lost all 3 games this year.

4. jetsons

umm, actually no, I can give a rats ass what he says, if you consider that an arc then you have no clue what you're talking about, all I have to say is if continues throwing the deep ball like he has been he will be seeing an increase in interceptions because that is what is going to happen.

5. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Actually the type of throw you make is situational based on the coverage. if the corner has help over the top dropping a lofted pass gives the safety time to close and make a play on the ball. Translation, there are time you want to deliver it on a rope, aka your receiver has the inside of the defender and/or the safety is over the top. If the Receiver has the corner beat and there's no safety on top then yeah you want to loft it and set up a basket catch.

As with everything else in the NFL it's situational.

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What is wrong with this fan base? It was a great throw and even better catch just leave it at that.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Seahawks last year, as a rudimentary inspection of their results would have told you, held their first 3 opponents under 300 yards in total offense. This included holding the Cowboys high octane attack, which finished #6 in total yards in 2012, to 296 yards total, and then holding the Packers (#13 overall) to 268 total yards.

The Seahawks gave up 39 points through 3 games.

If you want to make a point use the facts to back up your case instead of having them refute it when somebody does a little basic research.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lmao that ball was either going to get caught by Holmes or dropped by Holmes. The defender had no chance to catch that ball unless he literally jumps on Holmes's back.

Excellent ball placement.

9. murksauce

murksauce Member

Haters gonna hate!

10. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

4 of the 6 INT's Geno Smith has thrown have been on throws over 15 yards...

This stat plays into the other thing I'm really impressed by is the Jets are not hiding Geno at all. It's not like they're trying to play read option with him all the time, or run like crazy. They're letting him throw the ball, and he's not taking the easy checkdowns, he is more than willing to drive it down the field.

#3490 Organized Chaos, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  11. Organized Chaos

To be fair, here are Geno's completion percentages:

63% vs bucs
    43% vs pats
    55% vs buffalo

The Pats game is dragging his average down a bit. Brady only completed 48% in that game. Granted that was due to WRs on both sides, but there was also the weather issue.

Obviously we would like higher than the 55% vs Buffalo but Geno will probably finish the season with a higher completion percentage for the season than he has now.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He'll probably finish higher given what we've seen so far. For one thing the Jets have been taking shots down the field early on. He's not getting the rookie bubble full of screens and check downs, or more accurately he's not taking the check downs often.

If the Jets receivers stop dropping the ball fairly often it's reasonable to project him in the 58-60% range. If he stays focused down the field and eschews the safe check downs then maybe 55-57% is more realistic.

Andrew Luck wound up completing 54.1% of his passes last year because he stayed focused on the intermediate to deep game. That's how he got close to 7 yards per attempt as a rookie despite the lower completion percentage.

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think one of the most refreshing things is seeing him throw the ball away when nothing is there.

That and being able to put the ball on the numbers with regularity.

_

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Geno Smith Stat Tracker

First off, I will say that Geno is really coming into his own. Maturing and getting significantly better every week. I wanted to start a thread to track his progress and to also see where he's at compared to other big name rookies on the same time table.

All players through the first 3 weeks of their rookie years:

Andrew Luck (2012)

Comp. - 65
    Att. - 122
    Pct. - 54.46%
    Yds. - 846
    TD - 5
    INT - 4
    Rate - 78.7

Ryan Tannehill (2012)

Comp. - 54
    Att. - 102
    Pct. - 53.33%
    Yds. - 615
    TD - 1
    INT - 4
    Rate - 60.06

RG3 (2012)

Comp. - 60
    Att. - 89
    Pct. - 67.96%
    Yds. - 747
    TD - 4
    INT - 1
    Rate - 105.53

Russell Wilson (2012)

Comp. - 43
    Att. - 75
    Pct. - 58.56%
    Yds. - 434
    TD - 4
    INT - 1
    Rate - 91.5

Geno Smith (2013)

Comp. - 55
    Att. - 102
    Pct. - 53.76%
    Yds. - 801
    TD - 3
    INT - 6
    Rate - 66.0

All you people calling for Geno's head need to relax. Let the kid pan out. As we all can see, he is following suit just like all the other rookie QBs did. Give him some time to adapt. If he continues on this route, we may be looking at our answer at QB.

15. Organized Chaos

Peyton Manning (1998)

First three starts:

62 completions
    114 attempts
    54% completion percentage
    683 yards

2 Touchdowns
    8 Interceptions

16. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's irrelevant, Manning's rookie season happened during a time when defensive backs were allowed to mug wideouts.

18. DanR

DanR Active Member

You guys need to seriously slow down. Sanchez and Eli Manning squared up evenly with stat tracker too. Analyzing this way is pointless.

I'm still on the fence about Geno. After week 4 i'll have an opinion.

Good point. LOL.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like what I'm seeing out of the kid so far. He throws a nice ball and doesn't seem to get fazed. I would like to see him to cut back on the INTs though. Hopefully that will come with time. Hopefully.

20. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Since the Sanchez haters have been ragging on those who have been defending him, its fun to turn the tide on the Geno worshipers.

For me its always about the decal on the side of the helmet, not the name on the back of the jersey. Whatever position it is, whomever is in there, they get my support. However, it would have been fun to see what Sanchez could have done with a real OC.

But I do think Geno will turn out better than Mark as long as the fanbase stops the idiocy about firing Rex, cause then MM is probably out the door as well. If we have a coaching staff change you can kiss Geno's potential goodbye.