The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Did you read these forums after the NE game? lol

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaid
    Because Geno doesn't hold onto the ball and look indecisive too? He looked as bad against NE as EJ did against NY.

This is nonsense.

3. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Someone said: "Holmes was being covered by Justin Rogers; a fringe NFL player.

Our guys were being covered by real CBs; Antonio Cromartie, Dee Milliner and Kyle Wilson."

>Real CB
    >Kyle Wilson

Pick one.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The game was not a good comparison of the two QB's. That's because the Bills defense is not as strong as the Jets. Put EJ Manuel out there against the Buffalo D and he would have looked better. Put Geno against Rex and the wheels might have fallen off like they did for Manuel.

I think Geno is the better of the two prospects by a fair amount but this game isn't evidence one way or the other.

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

The big difference between Geno and Sanchez so far is Sanchez would go in the tank after an INT like the one Geno threw in the third quarter and let it snowball. Geno shrugged it off.

My main worry going forward is still can Geno throw in bad weather (he didn't in Week 2). For all of Sanchez's ills he at least could throw the ball fairly well in January. You sort of need to be a weatherproof QB in MetLife.

#3465 NYJFan10, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

That's some perspective for ya. Jets fans complain about Wilson, but despite his flaws he's still an average NFL CB.

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Clearly they didnt watch the game and just looked at the stats. Geno played well (and arguably outplayed Brady) for the first 3 quarters. Multiple dropped passes, bad weather, and poor decision making/execution got to him in the 4th.

As far as that thread goes, Im shocked they are already giving up on him. He's their 1st round pick and has showed decent stuff at times. If Im a Bills fan there's no way Im giving up on him. With that being said, I was never as high on EJ as he was drafted and didnt think he deserved the praise he got the 1st two games.

8. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

Good question.

I've made a habit of reading opposing team's fan forums after each game to guage reaction(s).

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Just saying (and I know there's obviously more that goes into it), but Geno plays against Rex's defense in practice and did in TC, same for EJ. Geno must be doing alright in practice as he is making some progress each week.

10. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Hello. Long time Jet fan on the West Coast. Just joined the forum. Have to say I like Geno's performance so far. Picked up the offense pretty quick. Moves the chains. Still has problems hitting short targets but isn't afraid to throw long and into coverage. Same game as in college.
    I don't think he's a world beater but he is better than that asshole Bayless and his ESPN cronies. Not everybody QB is immediately supposed to "get it" like Russell Wilson.

11. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Kyle Wilson may be as much as an average NFL CB on most days, but the real joke was lumping Milliner in there. He only played something like 25 snaps yesterday and he was OK but has been atrocious before that. Way too soon to have much idea what kind of player he will become but he certainly isn't a real NFL CB yet. The guy meant Walls...he just didn't know it.

12. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

Actually Sanchez's throw was way better, the problem w/geno is he throws the deep ball too much on a line, he throws it AT the receiver rather than dropping it over the top & allowing the receiver to run under it. The good cornerbacks will prepare for this & I wouldn't be surprised to see more interceptions come geno's way because of it.

13. jetsons

Do you actually have the ability to see??? "Cradle drop" IS exactly what you want, what geno did was throw it on a line right AT Holmes, geno was lucky that pass wasn't intercepted.

14. pdxdrew

Just out of curiosity, what is your overall take on Geno?

15. jetsons

I think he's an average QB who needs to work on his mechanics, especially his throwing motion which is terrible.

16. pdxdrew

So basically another waste of a draft pick?

17. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

welcome aboard.

and about that last bit, I'm not even sure if most of last years rookies immediately "got it". I'm starting to wonder if that narrative was written after the fact.

For instance Rich Cimini said that, unlike R.Wilson, Geno failed to impress during Mini Camp, despite the fact that I believe Wilson never made an impact till august.

It just feels like we're a bit lost on a rose colored view of what was a great but not always perfect year for rookies and the Jets circus perception has lead a moderately good start being undermined because he's not like the others that got it week 1. (even if they had their own curves)

18. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

You might be right. Having an average qb is such a massive upgrade over the dog shit we've had the last 4 years that most Jet fans are happy.

19. feldspar

feldspar Member

I see, so it doesn't matter at all that every single one of the Bills starters wasn't playing their positions in the secondary.

Jairus Byrd is borderline star, and a Pro Bowler. Stephon Gilmore was a top pick last year that is making a name for himself...didn't allow a receiver to gain more than 50 yards or allow a TD in the last 12 games last year as the #1 corner. McKelvin had been playing very well this year. Ron Brooks is better than guys that played. Aaron Williams was stepping up at SS, but they had to move him to CB, where he is not so good.

These aren't excuses, they are facts. Gotta consider who exactly you are playing against, right? The secondary was a bunch of scrubs. That's a fact.

LOL @ the Panthers weren't able to do it the week before. That game could have gone either way, and they lost with 2 seconds on the clock, basically.

Regardless of all that, Geno still made some impressive throws. Some bad ones too, but he played a decent game all told.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Seahawks started 2-2 with Russell Wilson not throwing for more than 160 yards in any of the 4 games. They were 4-4 after 8 games and Wilson only broke 250 yards passing once in that span.

They lost games 19-13 and 13-6 over that span. In the 19-13 loss Wilson threw 3 Int's. In the 13-6 loss he completed 39% of his passes for 122 yards and a pick.

The Redskins started out 3-6. RGIII was much better right out of the gate than Wilson. He had 8 TD's throwing in the 9 games and 6 on the ground.

The Colts started 2-3 with Andrew Luck. He completed 51.1, 64.5, 47.8, 56.4 and 50.0 percent of his passes in the first 5 games. His completion percentage after 5 games was 53.3%.

Anybody who says Geno Smith is not playing well for a raw rookie in his first 3 starts is on crack. The key now is for him to build upon what he's doing and grow into the job. If he does that the Jets have their QB for the next decade or so.