The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't normally post article links, but this one is worth reading in my opinion. It doesn't prop up Geno, it doesn't knock him down. It just deals with the "facts of life" of playing a rookie QB and how the rookie season needs to be viewed. It doesn't say Geno will never be good, it doesn't say that Geno will never be bad. It just pretty much covers exactly the way I view a QB's rookie season. Don't get too high, don't get too low.
    http://thejetpress.com/2013/09/14/facts-life-starring-new-york-jets-qb-geno-smith/

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Geno throws with absolutely no force, anticipation or confidence

he wont throw a receiver open or throw the ball to a receiver running a slant who's trying to get off a block

he has to be more confident in his throws and see the play before it happens

3. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

check the tape on first quarter and second against the patriots , he made 2 beautifull throws to holmes while he was still not in place. 2 amazing reads.
    Plus he clearly has arm for the deep ball

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

yeah i am really not seeing any of this. im not so sure you want to throw the ball to a receiver on a slant who is trying to get off a block. that would probably be a good decision.

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I everyone is going on whether he's a bust or not. I'm going to say the same thing I've been saying. He has clear weaknesses in his game. They are very fixable, and discussing his weaknesses doesn't mean anyone is saying he's a bust. He had to work, but I can tell you, Sanchez has been a clown from day one, but he had better tools. One thing I don't question is Geno's demeanor. You can't teach that, and generally he seems to make better reads than Sanchez.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk 4

6. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Tbh i did not like the pick but once you do you gotta roll with it , so making sanchez back or draft a qb next year will just be moving backwards. Even if he cant improve in two years then you built a team around a future qb

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Exactly, but also let's be real, Geno has not worked with the first team much. Practice and a few preseason games aren't going to turn him into rg3 or Wilson.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk 4

8. Tom

Tom Member

Teddy Bridgewater struggled against Kentucky...is that who you want????

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Johnny Football had 550+ yards of offense and 5 TDs against #1 ranked Tide. One of the two INTs was on target and bounced off the receiver the other I thought he anticipated the receiver going to the corner of the endzone and the receiver did not. Yes he's a Flutie kind of QB, but he has so much talent and he's only three games into his second year. If he keeps up this, he might get his second trophy and he would pack the seats. In my personal opinion HE would he the perfect QB for MM offense.

10. Tom

Tom Member

Remember, Geno threw for 500+yards against LSU who had a better D than this Alabama (Claiborne, Mingo, Reid, Sheppard, Montgomery, Mattheiu, and even more in the NFL now. If we can get him in the 5th round Id be for it, adding QB after QB is not going to help. He isnt anymore accurate than Geno or doesnt have a stronger arm than Geno, but hes definitely a better mobile QB. But all those tackles he gets out of, he aint getting out of in the NFL. Guy will be a bigger bust than Tebow, but if he drops to the late rounds its worth a shot. Btw could you imagine if the Jets picked Manziel in the first or second round, they would literally be the laughing stock of the entire nation.

#3190 Tom, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  11. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

johnny football will not be a successful pro. you heard that here, hopefully not first but with the most conviction.

that douche of a boy in new york would get eaten ALIVE. ugh god i cant even fathom him here as a jet. fuck that mess.

13. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Agreed, he'll get killed in the NFL, I see NFL bust written all over him.

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I watched the game, he struggled in the first few drives, after that he was pretty good.

Lightening quick release and puts the ball on the fingertips just about every throw. His throws look effortless, kind of like he's handing the ball off downfield.

Moves exceptionally in the pocket and was looking downfield even when being chased out of the pocket. You can see him looking off receivers constantly to find the open man.

JMHO.

_

15. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Your dumb.. Manziel would get crushed in the NFL.. His footwork is so shitty.. He just walks backwards when he drops back.. When he scrambles, he holds the ball out like an idiot... Hope he falls to the 7th round that spoiled little bitch..

16. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

The competition he plays against is shit... I doubt he would be as good playing in the SEC.. Schedule for him is cake.

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You could doubt that all you want, but you'd be wrong. He'd be even better in the SEC- he's playing beneath his competition.

Number 1 QB in a draft of a very strong and deep class this year.

Also I'm not completely certain but I think Florida may be in the SEC, pretty sure they were the SEC representative in the Sugar Bowl last year.

You know, the one where Bridgewater beat the Gators?

LOL.

_

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

he made some good throws but he also has issues in other areas

I'm not bashing him but I'm just letting guys know what I see

the receiver is going to break inside and have a clean opening when he's jammed

there were 3 or 4 snaps he had the slant if he would have seen the receiver get position and prepare to break inside

Geno missed a few reads but he will get better

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Manziel has a unique presence in the pocket. I'm not saying that it's good or bad but when he sets up his body is absolutely still as he makes his reads. Then when he decides to move he is absolutely frenetic until he finds another quiet spot to sit in. Then absolutely still again.

The absence of any unnecessary motion at all when he's set is just really striking to watch. It makes him stand out.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

Huh? Where do you come up with this? One week you think we should draft Teddy Bridgewater, the next Geno is the real deal, and now this?

Few examples off the top of my mind of him throwing a receiver open with anticipation-

Bucs game, incompletion to Kerley across the middle where Kerley almost made a 1 handed catch. The MLB had Kerley covered, but Geno threw the ball behind the MLB with the anticipation to know that Kerley would eventually get open. He gave Kerley a shot at making a play, unfortunately he fell a little short.

Pass to Holmes in Pats game. Probably one of his best throws. He was covered, but Geno released the ball while Holmes was in traffic to a spot that was open. As he released the ball, he took a nasty hit. Big time throw.

Smith has also completed more screens than Sanchez has in his entire career... You have to throw a receiver open and with anticipation, even if it is a short pass.

The long pass to Winslow in the Bucs game...

I cant really think of other plays, but Im sure theres a few more.

He has certainly had his fair share of downs, but he showed a good amount of positives as well- outplaying Brady for 3 quarters.

Also, whats with all this "he cant throw slants" stuff? Have you watched a WVU game? Slants were a huge part of that offense. He tried on a few in the Bucs game, but that was vs Revis and it was his first read (poor playing calling IMO). Revis can cover the slant as good as anyone. From what I saw, they were on target, but Revis just broke them up. Its also hard to ask a rookie QB to trust his receivers who have run horrible routes (Gates and Hill) and had a lot of drops. At this point Geno is going to throw to what he sees most of the time. Once he develops trust and chemistry with receivers, Id expect that to change.