The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Same here. In fact, I think Geno is ahead of where Sanchez was as a rookie. That's understandable since Sanchez didn't play much in college. I see a lot of good things in Smith, I'm not sure why people don't expect rookie mistakes from a rookie. You're probably right about the axe to grind.

Just to keep it in perspective for people who are down on Geno, Peyton Manning completed 56% of his passes as a rookie and threw for more INT's than TD's. In his first game he threw 1 TD and 3 INTs. In his third game he only completed 45% of his passes. By his fourth game, he had thrown 3 TDs and 11 INTs.

Good thing the Colts didn't give up on him...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00/gamelog/1998/

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Dunno, I pretty much ignore it because it doesn't really say what's what. it's ambiguous at best.

3. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Bingo. Well said. He had a typical rookie type game last night. A couple poor throws, held the ball a bit longer than he should have, missed a couple open receivers.

With that said, he has incredible poise and doesn't seem to be rattled by anything. He also was fairly accurate (if you add back the drops) assuming the shitty conditions he was playing in. Anytime he was sacked or made a bad play it looked like he had a short term memory and rebounded nicely.

So some ups and some downs last night. He was pretty solid I thought until the 4th quarter.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

to the average fan you see the same names and think it's the same but for most of last season our weapons were:

1. Kerley
    2. Schilens
    3. Gates-picked up during season
    4. Cumberland- first extensive action of career
    5. Reuland
    coordinated by Tony Sparano w/ poor OL and run game

Holmes is back
    Gates had a full offseason
    Hill is in year 2 and healthy
    Winslow is at TE
    Cumberalnd has experience

coordinated by Marty w/ a good OL and good run game

I can, Stevie Wonder could see what he had to work with.

I don't buy it, I saw every throw and he had a few(like ALL QBs) that easily could have been picked but nothing extraordinary.

stats will always tell part of the story b/c we don't know the situations which the #s were accumulated.

see above and please pay attention so you can learn.

professional stat companies:rofl2: guys who don't know the scheme, don't know who is supposed to do what on a play, don't know the reads, don't know the capabilities of the players.

5. Organized Chaos

It's not the same, it's worse.

Right, you know football better than professionals who get paid to break down tape and come up with innovative statistics that are so good that ESPN buys them.

I don't know who you suck off that they let you troll here so hard, but you must do it pretty well.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Sanchez first two games were much better than Geno's first 2 games. Doesn't mean a thing. Rookie QB's have an advantage at the beginning of the season. The NFL is all about adjustments. A rookie with good ability is likely to look pretty good in the first couple of games. It's what they do when teams have tape and start game planning for what they actually do that separates the talent from the brain.

7. nyjunc

If you think it's worse you probably should talk to someone who knows football and have them explain it to you.

ESPN came up w/ total QBR. I think that says it all w/ regards to espn and stats.

As usual, a whiny poster that can't keep up in debates has to hurl childish insults. Good job.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I am not Sanchez fanboy and I can say that Mark would have done just as good last night as Geno did. Its only Geno’s second start but it showed he needs a lot of work. Off the top of my head:

-His pocket presence was horrible last night. When he wasn’t leaving the pocket too early he was staying in it too long. He had no feel for the pocket or the pass rush. This is the primary thing he needs to work on immediately.

-He is not reading the routes correctly. Mostly he keeps throwing short when he should be leading his WRs long. That cost us a few big plays – maybe even a TD. He needs more work with the receivers and more work studying coverages.

-His accuracy was pretty bad most of the night. He was missing his target way too much and the last two INTs were terrible throws. This is not forgivable. A rookie can make mistakes but they at least need to be able to throw accurate passes.

He is a rookie so there is time to fix this stuff but he better start fixing them soon.

9. Organized Chaos

You know nothing.

10. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Well the other teams have two full games of Geno playing, Now we will see how good he is at QB. I hope MM will mix it up for this kid.

11. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to rag on Geno but you are definitely wrong. The WRs, OLine and play calling are all much improved this year over last. Holmes last game was the 3rd game. He was playing at a higher level last year up to that point, than this year. But he will most likely get better this season and hopefully be on the field for 16 games.

Hill looks better

The OLine IS better - not just looks better.

We actually have an RB that can threaten. 2 if you count Powell as a legit back. Both can catch. Bohanon > Hilliard after just 2 games.

Geno is the future and mark will probably never play again for the Jets. But lets not pretend Geno is doing better with a worse cast around him. That's a farce.

12. nyjunc

You sure are a master debater

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Powell is a good blocker but his running is starting to remind me of Greene.

14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Geno only played 2 games. Shouldn't we be comparing their weapons on a game by game basis at this point?

Geno has a better supporting cast this year than Sanchez did last year, at least in my opinion. Having said that, Geno's receivers played like dog shit yesterday.

Geno's offensive coordinator is better than Sporano. Having said that, he did a poor job yesterday given the circumstances.

Geno didn't play well yesterday, and if he is still making these mistakes in week 13-15, we'll know what we have. But crucifying Geno because he has a better supporting cast than Sanchez is silly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Powell can block and he can take a swing pass. He is much more valuable than Greene particularly when teamed with Ivory who is a beast when healthy.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He can also make a guy miss once and a while. He made Chandler Jones whiff last night on an off tackle play.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Agreed I think on balance he's a pretty good player.

18. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

19. NewYorkEveryThing

They talk about the pats not having any WR's . What about us??

At least they have edelman. We got no body. Hill is looking like a potential bust. Gates stinks except he has speed. Holmes has not played a game since week 2 last year. Tuff guy winslow is showing why nobody wanted him. All night it is brady has no one. They never said anything about our inept core? Izdik needs to sign or trade for someone cause Geno was throwing some nice passes that were dropped 8 times!! 8 friggin times !! Just ruining the kids confidence.

20. TB284

TB284 New Member

Russell Wilson laid an absolute egg last year in week 4 against the Rams, in a dome, on a full week of preparation. Prior to that, he had three games of inconsistency, including an opening week loss at home, with the best home field advantage in the NFL, against the Cardinals (the only good pass defense he played in that stretch). He backed it up with another mediocre game in Carolina. He didn't show any signs, whatsoever, of being a potentially great quarterback until week 6 against New England, and that game was also at home. And he had quite a bit more preseason work with the guys he'd eventually end up playing with. Sometimes, rookies play like shit; even rookies who end up being really, really good play like shit. I'm sure the armchair quarterbacks were picking him apart, too.

On the dropped INT discussion, footballoutsiders are pretty judicious about what they label a "drop," when it comes to both receivers and defenders. I don't care who buys what, but these guys are professional game charters. They have no bias, no rooting interest, and nothing at stake other than their reputation as the best advanced analytics team covering the NFL. Andrew Luck had 16 dropped interceptions last year, along with actually having 18 of them caught (albeit two of those were tipped and one was a hail mary). No one gets mad at guys for being lucky, luck is an enormous part of football. Sanchez had plenty of shitty luck over his career, too, its fine to admit it on both sides.

Also, for what its worth, I also agree that the offensive skill positions are better this year as a whole, despite most of them taking the week off. Hill throws some head-scratchers out there, but he's at least a bit more refined as a route runner this year. Gates was actually in position to drop the ball, which is shockingly an improvement. Holmes is still hobbled, you can tell by the way he's coming out of his breaks; he has no confidence in his foot yet. Kerley and the tight ends are probably our strong points right now, but last night wasn't the showcase for that, obviously. Ivory shouldn't even be discussed in the same paragraph as Shonn Greene, and the line has played better thus far, as well.