Geno's game 1 performance

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Noam, Sep 8, 2013.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Here's what you fail to understand Junc, "fantasy" numbers dont' win games, your right...but they help substantially. Look at the teams that consistently make the playoffs, what do they all have in common? Yep you guessed it, great "fantasy" numbers. And by consistently I don't mean once or twice in a 4 year period I mean when they don't make the playoffs, or challenge for a playoff position is the exception and not the rule.

The exceptions to this rule are teams with top end defenses and middle of the road offenses, the defense in this case is the group putting up great "fantasy" numbers.

here's what you don't get, wins and losses are TEAM numbers. Great "fantasy" numbers add to the likelihood of reaching the post season and add to the likelihood of wins in any given game. Bad "fantasy" numbers decreases the chances of reaching the post season.

IN another post you bring up Mannings game yesterday but ignore one of the "fantasy" stats, that of interceptions. Not to mention the other team errors and fumbles which also contributed heavily to the Giants loss on Sunday. But as long as you want to bring up one Mannings "fantasy" stats le me ask this, without the other Manning's "fantasy" stats do the Bronco's win their game Thursday?

Wins and losses are team stats, An Elite QB increases a teams chances of winning with their elevated "fantasy" stats..a poor QB decreases their teams chances of winning through their "fantasy" stats.

Cut down Sanchez's 20+ turnovers and increase his completion percentage to around 60% and the Jets likely win 10 or 11 games at least in 2009, result home field advantage in at least one game. Same story in 2010, 2011. 2012 Cut down the turnovers and increase the "fantasy" stats slightly and the team likely is 8-8 or 9-7 instead of 6-10.

Despite your best arguments Junc your total disregard for statistical information just shows how uneducated you are in the football world.

2. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

So much useless talk about 2009/2010...

It's 2013 folks.

3. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

yep it is, but sometimes you have to reference the past to see the present in the case of evaluating a players progress and to illustrate how things work or past effects.

And that's kind of the point, Sanchez had promise in 2009 but never matured and remains the same QB in 2013 that he was in 2009...a turnover prone rookie mistake prone QB.

4. Vida

Vida Active Member

Yep, I agree - after watching that was my summation as well, "solid debut, not great but solid" - he did enough to give us a chance to win, made some really good passes, had some good runs but also stuffed up a couple of times too. A good debut, no-one expected him to dominate from the start and he is still clearly green but there is something to work with there.

Was definitely helped by the Bucs ineptness and constant fouls though.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

sometimes they help, what the average fan fails to understand is that it isn't about the #s, it is about the situations. Eli had 4 TDs the other night and 400 yds yet had a terrible game but the average fan will look back at the end of the year and see good to great yardage/TD #s and think a QB is great. I'll take a guy w/ less #s making plays to win over a guy padding stats any day of the week.

We went over game by game in 2009 and 2010, there were some games he helped them lose and some games we don't win w/o him. 75% of his INts came in 4 games, he cost us one of those games.

You guys look at cumulative #s w/o context, I look at game situations. You think if he cuts down to 10 INTs we win 2-3 more games, he threw 15 in those 4 losses I mentioned and we win one of those if he cuts down TOs. Look game by game, situation by situation and you will have a better understanding.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

As long as the running game is mediocre I'd expect to see the Jets in the shotgun or pistol a lot this season. The benefit of being under center is that it opens up play action and allows for the I-formation. If you can't run well then neither of those things are as valuable.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Dennis Waszak Jr. ‏@DWAZ73 21m
    Geno Smith was also 1st #Jets QB to lead team in passing and rushing since Ray Lucas did it vs. Giants in 1999.

Dennis Waszak Jr. ‏@DWAZ73 22m
    Geno Smith, btw, was first rookie drafted in 2nd rd or later to pass for 250-plus yds and win in Wk 1 since AFL/NFL merger. #Jets

That second one is kind of a weird stat ... one of those, on a tuesday in a snow storm during a full moon type deals ...

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 250+ yards came from the Jets having no rushing game. You know they really wanted to limit Geno to 30-35 pass attempts at the outside but with no running game they were in situations where they had to throw more and he got 50 or so passing plays including the scrambles and sacks.

I'm not going to go overboard on this because I really need to see more but what Geno Smith did against a good defense with no rushing game to speak of tells me that the rest of the season could be very interesting for us.

It's not Geno against the world of course, it's Geno and Marty Mornhinweg and David Lee and a bunch of too young, too fragile and too misfit RB's and receivers for us to know anything for sure. That makes the Jets a very random element in the 2013 season.

#248 Br4d, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i can only guarantee one thing, it will be a very uneven up and down year.

this team doesnt have the talent to carry a rookie qb, and that rookie qb will make plenty of mistakes. i just hope rex gives him enough leeway to work his way through things and doesnt bring sancho back in and impede his progress.

10. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

imo if sanchez its back to center it can only be trolling lo

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Has anyone seen any youtube links that shows Geno's every throw?

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

If there is, you arent going to want to watch iit.

I rewatched all of them on DVR yesterday.

He made about a half dozen really nice looking throws, on many of the short are completions, the ball pacement wasnt good, and about a half dozen incompletes were on throws he should have made.

That having been said, it was his first game, And the OL and lack of a running game is half responsible for that. Had those two thingbeen better he probably completes 70%.

whats missing, is going down the sideline, throws I HATE, when they are a majority pf the gameplan (schitty) but when used correctly are effective.

I think we should get to see that Thursday, because NEs defense, is not TBays.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

There was a stat from pff that said Geno was only off target on 4 of his throws... compare that to Sanchezs 22% last year...

14. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

Yeah it was 11% as opposed to Nacho's 22%.

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

dude, you really cant help yourself can you?

half a dozen? I spent all of yestarday using NFL rewind to watch every snap he took. its amazing how you can excuse away sanchez pick 6's right into the defenses chest, then flat out say that 75% of his complettions werent on target, when clearly the opposite was true

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Damn, I just wanted a link to a youtube video they did it for Sanchez his rookie year ... no need for this Sanchez Geno debate damnit

17. nyjunc

how come you don't mention Geno vs. pressure?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/26852/film-review-geno-struggles-under-pressure

18. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

19. nyjunc

I don't judge on #s but if you guys are going to praise/bash based on #s you should post them all.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner